main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Comics: DC vs. Marvel General Opinion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by zark, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    DC all the way. Marvel's still great, but I just love DC. Green Lantern is my favorite superhero ever.

2. nobeazer

nobeazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    I've always been a Marvel loyalist and I used to boycott DC. The only DC book I've ever read is Watchmen. But, with the recent release of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Batman: Arkham Asylum I do believe I will check out a couple Batman books, The Killing Joke in particular.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm still liking more DC books than Marvel right now.

4. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Marvel comics is where I spent most of my money but I still love Batman.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interestinly enough, thanks to Blackest Night, DC has the top 6 selling comics of the month for the first time in over 40 years.

By contrast, according to that article, that's something Marvel has achieved several times this decade (sometimes having as many as the top 13 titles).

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    EIT: Can't believe I forgot that I posted in this thread already.!:oops:

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I've always been more of a Marvel guy. DC always seemed to be more convoluted, just for convolutions sake, to me. Especially lately. With that said, back last November, I had to completely drop all comics buying (Star Wars included) for financial reasons. And this was right as Secret Invasion and Star Wars: Vector were wrapping up. Dark Reign, War of Kings, Messiah War, Seige, etc all look(ed) absolutely amazing. And I've missed all of it. :_|

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    War of Kings was quite excellent. I've fallen in love with Cosmic Marvel lately. Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy are both great. Dark Reign has been kinda nebulous. A few good books, mainly the Avengers titles, but some garbage too. Messiah War was kinda boring, just more of Bishop chasing after Cable and Hope like the Coyote chases the Roadrunner. But this time with X-Force! Seige starts in January and looks to be the end of Norman Osborn.

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    DC all the way - except for brief interludes where they do really stupid stuff like send Bruce Wayne off to the nether dimensions - or age him to a pill popping, old coot with a cane - or randomize Superman (Earth #What Now?!!!). No dudes, just slapping some idiot in the suit doesn't make them Batman or Superman. But apart from totally screwing with my long time favorite characters, they have the best overall cast in my opinion. They just need to lose Morrison and a few artists that are better suited to an art museum, but I have had to have patience through a lot of their ignorant decisions, so here I am again, relegated to the short 'alternative' arcs that are in reality not alternative at all. I just keep dropping comics as they move into dumb areas - FrankenCastle????? Wth? In any case, at least they keep us going with the short run comics, kick animated series and animated flicks with the best comic characters overall (in my opinion). I do like some of the Marvel characters and storylines, but I always found them to be less dynamic and consistently good over the years (but they've had some classics too, so...)

10. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I know Dark Reign has been pretty spotty at times. With the highs being very high, but also having some real lows. The books I was looking into have generally been among the "very high", if not just a little below that. The books I figured would be pretty bad, and that I was gonna avoid, have generally been so as well. Messiah War was gonna be one of those things I was gonna follow as a "secondary" type deal. If you follow my meaning. I also know Seige hasn't started yet, but I've followed none of what is leading into it for the last year. And I'm still not sure if I can justify the extra expenses of it just yet. Nova and Guardians are two of the top five Marvel books I miss reading the most. One question though, did they spin any new titles out of WoKs like they did the last two cosmic events? Because I've heard of nothing, but also haven't been listening. [face_beatup]

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    War Of Kings has been followed by Realm Of Kings, 1 one-shot and 2 5-issue minis, with both Nova and Guardians having related arcs also of 5 issues and DnA are far from done with the cosmic corner of Marvel either. I can see what's coming post-RoK!

12. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    So no new on-goings yet? Just a few one-shots and minis?

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Nope, no new titles I'm afraid. :(
    A DnA Starjammers series would be epic though.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Bear in mind those one-shot/minis are $3.99 each, it's a hefty investment and one I'm only prepared to make on a finite basis. IF there were ongoings at $2.99, then that'd be different, but Marvel, more so than most publishers, are increasingly opting for $3.99 which really pressures the other titles.

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't know about DC but over the last year Marvel has been increasing the price to $3.99 on almost all their books. All new titles, minis and one-shots are at least 3.99. Same with their big sellers like New & Dark Avengers, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see all their books at the $4 setting by this time next year.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In which case my already small number of Marvel titles will diminish even more. I love what Hickman's doing with Fury in Secret Warriors, but not enough that I'd pay $4. I'm jumping off Cap with the end of Reborn due to that going up to $3.99, with a back-up I don't care about.

17. darthmohican

darthmohican Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Yeah, the pricing for comics is getting a little out of hand. Thankfully my father collects them so I don't have to worry about it financially. Only problem is I go away to college next year and I still haven't figured out a way that I'm going to keep up on the comic scene. Anyway, defiantly count me as a marvel guy. DC has just never appealed to me. Although blackest night looks interesting.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    DC has a few $3.99 books, but they're usually paired up with a co-feature or have more pages to justify the price. Action Comics, Detective Comics, Booster Gold, Doom Patrol, Adventure Comics and Streets Of Gotham are the ones with co-features. Now Marvel's starting to do it.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, Marvel likes to put pages from the Marvel Handbook in the back of some books, or random old school (60's or 70's) comics that feature the same characters. Personally, I'd rather have them lower the price a dollar and drop the co-features altogether.

20. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm DC, all the way. I tend to feel that DC has stronger storylines and characters. That's just my opinion. I am currently reading the Blackest Knight storyline, executed far better than Marvel Zombies which is more or less just camp.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MZ may have become camp now, but it didn't start off that way.

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Millar and Kirkman treated them pretty seriously. Besides, Marvel Zombies and Blackest Night aren't exactly the same thing. The current X-Men storyline, Necrosia X (sp?) is a better comparison. Although, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who won't admit that it's just a BN ripoff.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.