main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC Comics & Toys MonsterCon in Salisbury on Oct. 6th (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Abby_Normal, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby_Normal

Abby_Normal Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2007
    The Comic Monstore will be hosting Salisbury's first comics & toys convention.
    It will also be a celebration of all things related to sci-fi, fantasy and horror. The con will be held at the Salisbury Civic Center and the date will be Sat. Oct. 6th. There will be nearly 5,000 square feet available for dealers and guests.

As far as gaming, programming, panels, demostrations... I'm wide open to suggestions and volunteer assistance. I'd like to make this an annual event so I'm keeping an open mind and thinking about variety. My wife is a band and orchestra teacher, so we may have a middle school band perform tunes like the Star Wars theme, Jurassic Park, etc.

The dealer room will be nice and big. I plan on inviting several artists and a variety of dealers. I'd like a good selection of comics, toys, gaming, T-shirts, and anything else sci-fi, horror or fantasy related. I will be putting a lot of time and money into advertising. Salisbury is within an hour drive from Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Mooresville, High Point and only two hours from Raleigh... so I believe we'll be able to draw people from a large area. The Salisbury Civic Center is also very easy to get to from Interstate 85.

For more info check out www.myspace.com/comicmonstore or feel free to contact me at:

Ray Franks, owner
    The Comic Monstore
    704-636-0049
    comicmonstore@bellsouth.net

2. RipRoar

RipRoar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    **This topic is only to discuss the conference... thanks.

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah!!

Ray just announced that Peter Mayhew is confirmed for the Con!

Announcement

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

4. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Woo Hoo!!! Awesome news! This Con looks like it's shaping up to be pretty good. I am really looking forward to this... :cool: =D= :cool: =D=

5. Jedi_528

Jedi_528 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    If you need assistance in setting up and other volunteer stuff just get in touch with me at MySpace (I'm there more than here). I'm on your list as "Jedi Stardancer".

6. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Update I received via Myspace:

Dear Loyal Comic Monstore Fans:

On Saturday, October 6th, we will be holding our 1st Annual Comics and Toys MonsterCon. We certainly hope to see everyone at the event, which features Peter Mayhew, and a Legion of 501st Stormtroopers. As a community event, we hope to help sponsor groups whose work is helping make lives better throughout Rowan County and beyond. So a donation is being made from the proceeds to the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Additionally we are organizing a blood drive with the Elizabeth H. Dole Red Cross Center. Their wagon will be out front before and during the event. Anyone who donates blood will get half-off admission price for the event. We are hoping to get a sense of how many people will be willing to donate so that the Red Cross can accommodate everyone without delaying people from entering the event. If you are interested in donating blood, please reply with your name and phone number. This is not binding, no one will call, and your name will not be added to any call lists. This is only to give us a sense of how many will be coming and keep us from double-listing names.

Thank you for your support and we can?t wait to see you this October!

Your friends,

The Comic Monstore

Paging TK-2970 . . . here is your chance to donate blood!

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Woohoo!

Abby add the CFF to the groups!

Clicky

8. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Ray I am looking forward to this awesome event. You can sign me up for the blood drive. Also, how much would a booth rental be? I am not a store or dealer, I would possibly be interested in renting one to help spread the word about Sandtroopers.com. Please feel free to check us out at . Thanks for the chance to get together with other Sci-Fi fans Ray. Shane Jenkins

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Shane,

Your best bet is to email Ray at comicmonstore@bellsouth.net

Sandtroopers is a collecting group?

10. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    There will be a couple of us there from the local Mandalorian Mercs clan also. It will be fun to meet and spend time with so many other costumers =D

11. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    Yeah that's right Jada, Sandtroopers.com is a collecting site...wait THE Star Wars collecting site. I encourage everyone to check them out and also see what they did up in Chicago. They have a ton of information on all things Star Wars and I have already posted about the ComicCon in Oct. and have gotten several responses about it. This Sandtrooper can't wait for the convention.

12. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    will there be any gaming tournaments held during the conference? and if so what games?

13. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I've asked Ray aka Abby_Normal to come on over and answer some questions :D

14. 704core

704core Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2007
    "Was that Hans Delbruks brain?"
    "No."
    "Who's brain was it?"
    "Abby someone."
    "Abby?
    "Yes...Abby Normal."

15. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Just want to bump this and remind you it's coming up!

16. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    We will have 3 Mercs members there. So expect to see a small Mando invasion =)

17. roydh

roydh Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2007
    will be there also called in some SG-1 friends

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    In case folks haven't looked at the Events page over on Ray's site there is a lot of stuff going on!

11:00 - 3:00

Red Cross Wagon
    Red Cross Blood Drive. Each donor will be entered in a drawing for a prize of 100 comic books. Drawing will be held at 3:00.

11:00 - 6:00

501st

table
    The 501st Carolina Garrison will be accepting donations to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. A silent auction for a special, autographed Chewbacca figure will also benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

11:00 - 1:00
    Game Room
    Halo ActionClix game demo

Learn to play the brand new Halo ActionClix miniatures battle game by Wizkids.

Outside
    Facepainting With Cheerleaders

Salisbury High School Cheerleaders do a little fundraising by offering their facepainting skills.

Outside
    Bounce House by KidSports

Super kids have super energy. Here's where they can practice leaping the tallest buildings.

11:00 - 3:00
    Hallway
    Costume Contest

We will be taking pictures of those in costumes throughout the day. Pictures will be posted in the hallway and winners will be chosen at 3:00. Hosted by Vera Van Munster.

11:30 - 12:30
    Game Room
    Quick Draw Contest

There will be two winners for our drawing contest. One winner for those younger than 16 & one winner for ages 16 or older. Prizes include art supplies provided by Binder's.

11:30 - 12:30
    Meeting Room
    Modeling and Monsters

Join the "Vixen of Horror", Vera Van Munster for a discussion about modeling, creature features, & costume design.

12:00 - 12:30

Outside
    Green Goblin's Pumpkin Hunt

Ages 10 and under. Search through a field of pumpkins until you find a special pumpkin left behind by Spider-man's nemesis, the Green Goblin.

12:30 - 1:30

Meeting Room
    501st Legion Carolina Garrison

Learn about creating authentic looking Star Wars costumes from the men and women of the 501st.

1:00 - 5:30
    Game Room
    "Starro Attacks"

World HeroClix Event

Buy 2 Justice League HeroClix boosters and build a 300 pt. army. Top 10 players will receive a limited edition Green Arrow figure. Winner is granted a "bye" for the Week 5 "Starro Attacks" main event.

1:00 - ?
    Outside
    SCA Tournament

Members of The Society for Creative Anachronism engage in combat.

1:30 - 2:30
    Meeting Room
    Star Wars Trivia Contest

Who's Leia's daddy? What's a Wookiee? Why is the milk blue? Put your knowledge of the great sci-fi movies to the test.

2:30 - 3:30

Meeting Room
    Let's Talk About Comics

Join comic book artists, Shane Davis, Andy Smith & Budd Root for a discussion about comics.

3:30 - 4:30
    Meeting Room
    Gary Friedrich, Silver Age writer and creator of Ghost Rider

Johnny Blaze did his first stunt over 30 years ago, but his popularity is still hot. Meet the man behind the skull.

4:30 - 5:30

Meeting Room
    Creating an independent comic

Join the creative team of "Sky Pirates" and learn some highlights and pitfalls of creating your own comic book.

6:30 - 8:00
    Piedmont Players Theatre

You must purchase either a MonsterCon button ($3) or T-shirt ($15) to enter this event.
    An Evening With Peter Mayhew

Here's your chance to get to know the man behind the Chewbacca mask.

There will also be a middle school band performance of classic movie themes.

We'll finish the evening with a "Wookiee Roar Contest". The person with the best Chewbacca-style voice will win cool stuff.

And Peter Mayhew isn't the only draw to the Con. Check out the rest of the Special Guests

19. Jedi_Stardancer

Jedi_Stardancer Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2007
    SG-1 friends....YIPEEE!!! [face_dancing] Hope to meet ya there!

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hama just posted this article I wrote regarding MonsterCon. [face_dancing]

21. roydh

roydh Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2007
    silly question where is the salisbury convention center
    i used to deliver all over town up there and never saw it
    :)

22. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Here is the address:

Civic Center:
    704-638-5275
    315 S Boundary St
    Salisbury, NC 28144

I'm assuming you'll be taking I-85N ;)

Take EXIT 76B toward SALISBURY.

Turn RIGHT onto US-52 / E INNES ST. Continue to follow E INNES ST.

Turn LEFT onto S BOUNDARY ST.

23. KathyK

KathyK Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2007
    Hello - maybe you can help this is my first posting....

Is the comic show a 1 day thing or just the Chewbacca appearance? Can the public wear SW costumes to the show or do you have to be in the 501st group or other groups I heard were invited? If so, can other costumes (Super heros etc.) be worn?

Will there be any vintage SW toy dealers like the Heroes show has every year?

What do you need to do to see Chewbacca? Is it a wait in line for autograph all day (certain times) or what? I heard about a special nightime question thing with him at the theater in salisbury - is that extra? Do you buy access at the door and what time?

What is there to do in Salisbury if your going to be there for whole weekend starting Friday afternoon - Sunday (Assuming this is only a 1 day show)?

Thank you

24. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    The even is a one day con.

From the convention website

Costume Contest

We will be taking pictures of those in costumes throughout the day. Pictures will be posted in the hallway and winners will be chosen at 3:00. Hosted by Vera Van Munster.

As far as Peter goes, I think he will be signing at the con but I'm not sure. This is from the website:

6:30 - 8:00
    Piedmont Players Theatre

You must purchase either a MonsterCon button ($3) or T-shirt ($15) to enter this event.
    An Evening With Peter Mayhew

Here's your chance to get to know the man behind the Chewbacca mask.

There will also be a middle school band performance of classic movie themes.

We'll finish the evening with a "Wookiee Roar Contest". The person with the best Chewbacca-style voice will win cool stuff.

I have no idea about dealers. Best bet is to give a quick call to Comic Monstore 704-636-0049.

I don't live in Salisbury so I don't know the area. Here is the visit Salisbury website.

25. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    If this is a typical convention, then yes you should be able to wear whatever costume you want as long as it doesn't break any laws =) Peter will more then likely be sitting at a table to sign autographs and take pictures. I forsee a large line though at that table =D A SW movie star coming to western NC is like Jesus coming back...everyone wants to see him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.