main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Communications' FAQ v5.5, and Other Useful Information (Updated)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Valiowk, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Communications? Frequently Asked Questions v5.0, and Other Useful Information

First and foremost I would like to thank JediMasterAlpha. This Communications FAQ was completely his idea, and without his earlier material I would have no idea how to begin. You get the credit for it, JMA!

Thanks also go to Son of the Suns, keokiswahine, Kadue, and various others who have contributed to the material in this thread and ?upping? it consistently.

Do suggest new information/questions to be added to this FAQ. Feel free to add any more links to other useful topics you see fit. I hope all of you will find this a useful FAQ!

Frequently Asked Questions

Board Use

Why does a topic have a line through it?

This means that a topic has been closed from receiving further replies. You can still read the thread, but cannot post to it.
    Please do not create a thread and lock it instantly, as it will only take up valuable space on the forum.

Is it possible to erase old Private Messages? How long are they stored?

No, it is not.

It's never been confirmed how long the system will keep read and sent PMs. It's assumed that PM pruning is related to the activity of the account. If you visit semi-regularly to regularly, most likely it will keep your PMs for 2 years or more. If you do not sign in for a year or more, it's very possible that some of your oldest PMs will be removed. Even less is known regarding how long unread PMs will stay in the system, as typically, the only people who are leaving PMs unread are those who aren't here to read them, so they also aren't here to tell us how long the PM stayed. ;)

How do I take people off of my "Watched Users" list?

Go into Options at the top of the page, and click on "Manage Your Watched Users List". Simply click "Remove" next to the user you wish to delete from your list.

Can I change the topic title of my thread?

Yes you can. To edit your topic title, edit your message and simply change the subject line. Note that the same 30/90-minute time limit rule applies to this as well, so it would be a good idea to choose your topics' subjects wisely.

Can I edit my poll?

Some parts of a poll you can edit, yes. In User Options, there is a option to Manage Polls. Here you can close, open, or remove polls you have made. You cannot, however, edit the contents of a poll, so be very careful when creating one.

I don't see the 'Create Poll' link in a forum. How do I post a new poll there?

You probably can't. The ability to create polls was turned off in most forums because of abuse. Some forums still allow new polls, such as Welcome New Users and Literature. In the Census forum, only moderators are able to create new polls. To suggest a poll in that board, please use Ideas for polls.

Why do I have a problem creating another poll?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    The Useful Links will be added to the thread after discussion with Spiderdevil.

Can somebody tell me how to make the names white instead of the current maroon which clashes with the background?

3. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
  4. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    i don't think there's a way to change link color with these markup codes, and you have a couple of minor glitches(link and color tags). but nonetheless i applaud you. good work. :D

5. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    pssst valiowk: one of your color tags is wrong!

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    and one of your links! but it's all good. gj!

7. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Wait wait wait wait...which link, and which colour tag? I'm probably going to ask one of the admins to edit all the errors inside for me, so it would be good if you all could state where the problems lie.

'kay, next admin who comes along, could you please put in a link to the Lit Index - this is Kadue's version, is there one on the lit boards?

And maybe add in a paragraph about why new users can't have spaces, that question still pops up once in a while...

BTW, Watto, I figured why even though I put it didn't work, because you have to put it inside the tag, instead of outside it.

Thanks everyone! :)

8. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I fixed all those errors for you, Val. Let me know if you need anything else changed! :)

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    ohhh, you won't often get an offer like that

10. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
    LOL, Humble! You know better than to take my posts in the most literal sense possible. ;)

Would you like me to repost this in the Informational Threads forum, Val?

11. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Well, Nate, this is the Communications FAQ after all, so I'm not sure how appropriate it might be over there. But do feel free to put a copy over there if you feel it would fit in.

12. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    From now on, all content in any sort of FAQ should not be linked, but displayed in plain text, in the thread.

Just looking forward, to where we migrate away from Snowboards, or when threads get parsed.

13. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    what have youheard?!

14. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I think he means for when we abandon the internet and communicate by postal mail.

15. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    by post you say?
    shipping rates over the holiday season are always a killer, i propose we agree to use postcards

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I agree, and we should get a special rate if the reciever is on our Watched Users List.

17. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I suggest we migratatiate this thread back to the FAQ otherwise PB will see fit to close it, like that 'other' one.

18. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    'kay, same thing again...another question from here to be included up there in the FAQ, an admin please?

19. NathanDahlin

Jun 28, 2000
  20. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers, due to the increasing amount of questions that have been asked that are answered in here. :)

21. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Yes, I agree more people should read this, especially you adorable little newbies with your fresh faces and eager, ignorant minds. :)

22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Any suggestions on how to make this thread more obvious to newbies then, before they go on their thread-starting spree of questions which are answered in here? :)

23. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers!

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers, Kadue's colours have to be changed, and there have been some redundant questions on the index page recently...

25. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    A couple of things I noticed:

In your profile, the total number of posts you have made, regardless of whether or not the posts have been since deleted by Snowboards, will be shown.

That's not entirely true. Any post made on UBB in a thread that was not transferred to Snowboards will not be counted.

However, in the ?Who is watching you? list, the number of posts that a user has made and are still existent on the Snowboards database (thus not counting deleted posts) is shown.

Again, that is not the case. In your "view latest posts" page, you should be able to see all the posts you have that exist on Snowboards. The number shown on the "Who is watching you" page is typically much greater than the number of non-deleted posts you actually have. I do not know what the number on the "Who is watching you" page means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.