main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Communications' FAQ v5.5, and Other Useful Information (Updated)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Valiowk, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Jeff: Thanks for the comments, it'll help me in making a better FAQ in future! :)

[blockquote]In your profile, the total number of posts you have made, regardless of whether or not the posts have been since deleted by Snowboards, will be shown.

That's not entirely true. Any post made on UBB in a thread that was not transferred to Snowboards will not be counted.[/blockquote]

I suppose that's true, and I should have been more specific when writing that. A more accurate version would be that in the profile, the total number of posts that were made in UBB and were transferred onto the Snowboards server, plus the total number of posts made on Snowboards itself, whether deleted or not, is shown.

[blockquote]However, in the ?Who is watching you? list, the number of posts that a user has made and are still existent on the Snowboards database (thus not counting deleted posts) is shown.

Again, that is not the case. In your "view latest posts" page, you should be able to see all the posts you have that exist on Snowboards. The number shown on the "Who is watching you" page is typically much greater than the number of non-deleted posts you actually have. I do not know what the number on the "Who is watching you" page means. [/blockquote]

In the "View latest posts" page, you are only able to see the posts that still exist on the Snowboards server, and have not been deleted. The number shown in the "Who is watching you" page is the actual number of posts you have, and corresponds to the number of links in the "View latest posts". The number shown in the profile is the total number of posts. There's nothing wrong with the information above.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The number shown in the "Who is watching you" page is the actual number of posts you have, and corresponds to the number of links in the "View latest posts".

No, it doesn't. For example, on the "Who is watching you" page it says I have 3384 posts. In my view latest posts page, there are supposedly 85 pages of 40 posts a page, which would be the correct number for showing 3384 posts, but the last 20 pages all say, "No messages were found for the requested user." The number of posts on the "Who is watching you" page is less than the number in my profile, but far greater than the number of non-deleted posts I actually have on Snowboards.

I first noticed this last week, and since then the difference between the number shown in my profile and in the "Who is watching you" page has remained constant at 105. Chances are some of my posts have been pruned in that time, so perhaps for a while deleted posts were removed from the latter count but then it was changed so that this no longer happens.

3. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Hmmm...interesting, Jeff, perhaps you're right about that. Maybe some changes were made to the "Who is Watching You" list but nobody was informed. I'll bear this in mind when making the next FAQ version. If this is so, then the post count shown on the "Who is Watching You" list is essentially useless.

Thanks for mentioning it - I'll check my own list up and see what it says for me.

4. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers, this is seriously needed, and needs updating too!

5. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Uppers!

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i have a question:

actually i have several, but there are young ears illegally watching, so i'll keep itto the point

why has the date posted thingy gone crazy?
    i note that since midnight all posts before are giving a time date, all after midnight have a time and date stamp......crazy eh?

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    You mean the fact that all posts from previous dates have the date stamp on them?

8. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    OK, I think I understand what Humble means. If I'm interpreting your question correctly, what happens is that when you are logged on just slightly over midnight JC time, the posts from the day before don't have the date on them, while the posts from the new day actually have the date on them instead (and you feel that it should be the other way round, like most of the time). This is caused because the JC clock is slightly off from the clock that records post times (which causes the same problem as the "Total Boards 0 | Total Posts 0"). Therefore, the JC clock still thinks that you are on the previous day and so doesn't show the date on posts from the previous day, while the clock that records post times is recording the time and date, but the software doesn't put the date in.

That's what causes the problem. Hope this cleared it up.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    well, that makes sense val

oh, and is this place getting busy or what, something like 10000 posts yesterday, the 2nd great newbie rush?

10. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Just marking this incase of future information needs.

11. Kriare

Kriare Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 1998
    I would just like to up this for anybody else who might like to use it and not have to go digging for it (like me) :) That and so I can find it again. :)

12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Great to know that it's still useful! :)

13. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm going to get a new edition done, but now it's just a matter of finding the time...

14. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    is it possible to have an official thread as what exactly can be considered cannon

15. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    new Community FAQ's to answer...

Can we add this xyz feature to the boards?
    (no)

Why is mod xyz picking on me?
    (they're not)

Can you unban user xyz?
    (no)

feel free to expand upon the answers here. :)

16. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Will you pick me to be a mod? please? i know your not supposed to ask but i really want to be a mod.

17. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Check out the first question from the FAQ. Moderators are chosen from the JC members who have generally been respectful, considerate and have shown a willingness to extend a helping hand to their fellow JC members. Only time will tell whether one will make a good moderator.

18. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm going to be updating this thread soon, so please give any suggestions you have for the new version. Thank you very much! :)

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The FAQ has been kindly updated by Gay-LenKenobi :).

20. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Indeed, many thanks to Gay-Len. :) She's done so much of the work that I've been postponing for ages.

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, thank you so much for your help. :)

22. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    No problem. Nearly everything was already there, I just added a couple things and corrected a few links. Nothing much. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.