main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Community Fan Film Clearinghouse** At loooooong last...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LLL, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    I recall making a comment to that effect: however my intention was to elicit a reply from you as to whether you had written something totally different, or if what was lost had been just a re-working without Larson. If you had another direction in mind, I for one would love to see the outline.

What's there has merit, the scene at the repair facility 'works.' It's getting there that feels strained, in the ways that I discussed off-site. Perhaps a good thought: our droid heroine needs to figure centrally in the resolutions of the sub-conflicts that are being faced. That's one thing I was going for in my suggestions about how the Healing Grace gets away from the Exsanguinator.

As I've quipped lamely before, "we'll never get Eddie Van Halen to join our band until we have a triumphant music video!"

Honestly, I think there are plenty of old-timers around here who've either dreamed something like this before, or tried it and failed. I can't say for sure that we achieved a critical mass of such people jumping aboard, but we surely seemed close to it there for a while.

There's definitely a whole lot of work to do, but all of that hinges on crafting a killer story that everyone's going to want to film. I think we're well on our way to that!

2. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Everything's been moving pretty slowly over on our board, so I wouldn't be too alarmist just yet.

I'm going to start my motivational phase here later today, and hopefully reignite some of those who were interested in directing parts of the film.

From what I recall, there is sufficient interest in getting this project completed, it's just that it has to happen in phases. It's not easy to cast a film that isn't written, and even harder to film one that isn't cast.

I'm going to be nice about getting people moving, and if that doesn't work, I'll start stepping on throats. [face_batting]

EDIT: To expedite matters, could I get a breakdown of the characters appearing in each "part" of the film, with a brief description? A "dramatis personae," if you will?

Thanks. :D

3. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I recall making a comment to that effect: however my intention was to elicit a reply from you as to whether you had written something totally different, or if what was lost had been just a re-working without Larson. If you had another direction in mind, I for one would love to see the outline.

:confused:

I must've gotten totally confused there. I never thought about taking the story in an entirely different direction. (Should I have?)

I'm not talking about getting anyone on board to film anything yet. All I'm saying is, if anyone thinks they might be interested and wants to have some story input, now is the time to slip in, read, and comment. My point in posting this to the writers was, if nobody from over there does this, and it looks from over here as if there's not actually going to be a movie made, who's still interested in finishing this script?

If there's no interest in finishing it, I'm going to drop it. However, if the other writers still want to finish it, we'll soldier on. I'm just trying to count heads here.

OTOH, I didn't want to step on toes if there ARE still filmies out there who have thoughts to contribute, and we just went on and finished it ourselves here and didn't tell anyone. That certainly wouldn't have been cool.

4. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    LLL, I was referring to:
    that of course was only a question, not a suggestion. Then the de-larsoned escape from Bestine sequence was posted, so I took that as my answer. Today, RX mentioned again that there was a path-not-taken:
    Now, again, I see the Healing Grace sequence as workable, despite my stated concerns.
    All I'm asking is: "What was different about the story idea that was lost in RX's computer disaster?"

I want to see this film made, and if I'm the only one, perhaps it's a lost cause.
    HOWEVER! I don't think the other filmies have quit yet: they're just getting on with their lives and waiting for the story to get worked-out. So by all means, keep up the good work you've been doing so far. I'd hate to see you writers lose faith in the rest of us!

That's a terrific idea, if nobody beats me to it, I'll take a stab at that over the weekend.
    Didn't one of the threads already have a list that might only need updating?

5. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    You know, I never saw that story idea, so I can't tell you.

*looks at RX*

I don't think anyone has ever done a breakdown of who appears in what part. That is a good idea, but remember that what's really important is who appears where in what setting. As long as characters don't leave their settings, we can take, say, a scene in which we're updated on the family back on Naboo, up out of, say, Part Three, and give it to Part One's crew to film along with the other stuff at the family home.

The problem comes when a character like Larson is wandering all through the script.

6. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Actually, that sort of breakdown might work better. Basically, we need to know which characters appear in each "crew"'s segment of the film, so that we can get down to casting the parts. Nes pa?

7. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I've sent another revision of my part of the script to LLL. It incorporates most of the points that drewmore suggested. I hope that everyone likes it better. :D

Sorry for being so negative before.

8. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I didn't really think you were being negative.

More like, just realistic. :)

I've been down with laryngitis. Spent all of T-giving day in bed.

I'll get the changes formatted in ASAP.

9. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    WHAT'S HAPPENING! 12/1/08

Well, it looks as if we're still on track. While I type in revisions that RX has sent to his part, it's time to start talking about...

...the ending!!!

Um, how exactly do we want to do this?

So far JedSith has volunteered to write the entire thing himself.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Let's keep this discussion here on the Resource board, so everybody will definitely see it.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I vote for no single person doing the entire ending. Too much pressure on one person for both the write and the rewrite. Plus it's all our mess. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, how long is the ending going to be? (10 pages, 15 pages)? I'd say let JedSithor write it if no one else wants to.

But, do you/we want BOT to live or die? Meklis cured or not? More development for Meklis' family or not? In other words, good ending, sad ending, open ending (for any sequels)?

12. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I have no problem writing a draft of the ending and if you guys want to make revisions that's fine. I should be able to get a draft done before the end of the month.

13. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I personally was hoping for an ending of 10-15 pages or so. I mean, look at the length of this thing already. While it isn't too awfully long so far, nobody in the original proposal of this said anything about our crews doing a feature-length film. If we go on for pages and pages, it's going to be 2 hours long before we know it.

If it is short, it's going to be tough to have more than two people working on it.

I originally had planned on doing it with Musical_Jedi...but I think she's probably flown the coop by now. Haven't heard from her in a while. I'm not averse to someone else doing it.

How does everyone feel about the ending? I'm talking about the kind of issues RX brought up.

OR, alternatively, we could just give JedSith the job, and see what he comes up with.

[face_whistling]

14. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    WHAT'S HAPPENING! 12/2/08

Guys:

This new Part IV is a hugely major revision. I strongly advise holding your horses on writing anything until I get it up and everyone's read it.

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, I hope that I didn't mess everything up by revising Part IV.

As to the final part, I guess let's see what Jedsithor writes and then critique it afterwards.

16. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Update:

Consulting with RX on a small problem that's come up. But, P.S., it's kind of hard to mess up something that comes at the very end. There's nothing after it yet to mess up! That's the luxury of having your part come toward the end.

Also, I am going out of town on Thursday and will be back Sunday night.

17. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been lurking - but am no means up to date enough to write the ending. I'd have to make it through the 67 pages of editing first! But what I have read looks great!

18. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    67 pages, eh? You may want to keep the ending at around 5 pages, then, since you're already at about an hour as it is. With that length, you're already looking at a massive time commitment for everyone involved in production, not to mention editing.

19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    WHAT'S HAPPENING! 12/9/08

At long last, the last revision is finished and is posted here.

Sorry about the spacing. It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I'm tired. I'm not going back through all of that to put spacing back in where copy-paste mysteriously deletes it all out :mad:.

Everyone read, and if it looks OK then, almost a year later, it's time to...

write the ending!

[face_dancing]

20. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    Hmm...ok...first things first...Bossk...I recommend a name change. Bossk is already an established canon character and if we want to stay within the realms of canon then we would be limited in what we can do when it comes time to decide Bossk's fate.

Speaking of Bossk, that whole thing with him being on the Star Destroyer still makes no sense to me. If he's already there, why go to the trouble of hiring the other 2 bounty hunters, especially since there is some "unfinished business" between them that could jeopardize the mission?

From a shooting point of view, the end presents some problems as it is either going to mean yet another space battle over Naboo or having the crew of part 1 shoot part 4 as well.

Frankly I'd be more inclined to have Bossk be killed and have BOT take his ship back to Naboo alone. Or better yet...Bossk survives long enough to tell the Star Destroyer that Bot has taken his ship. The Star Destroyer Captain can then inform the Imperial Garrison on Naboo to look out for the ship and lay a trap for BOT at the family home or something.

21. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I'm trying to visualize some of those concerns. Who shoots what is determined by who is in the scene and where they are. In a space battle over Naboo the characters are inside the shapce ships, both of which originated in other parts, and the participating characters originated in other parts, too. We don't have the part one sets and people again until BOT is back on the ground.

I am not up on Bossk continuity. What have we done that doesn't fit?

Also, do we WANT to do this in-EU-continuity? We also have to consider the time period in which this takes place. Do we know anything about Bossk in this time period?

22. drewjmore

Aug 15, 2007
    I'd like to further discuss the points about the bouny hunters: doesn't it make sense that a bounty is placed on the droid, and it's a free-for-all as to who brings her in? Are there bounty hunter all-points-bulletins? I guess I'm agreeing with Jed here...the way it's written, how did we get a conflict between the Bossk and Tinian?

As for the shooting discussion, so far I don't see a problem. However, I can see why whomever undertakes the wrtiting of the ending might want to adjust the final pages of part 4 to help them direct the flow back onto the planet. If that's via a pitched space battle, cool...I know Backdesk was itching for some explosions, some of which we cheated him out of in the latest re-write.

I for one vote "yes" to staying within continuity. If that means we can't kill someone off, then I'm cool with letting them live, or changing that character to a disposable one.

<edit>

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bossk
    So is what we're doing with Bossk and Tinian already covered in the SW adventures series? Or is this a hole in the Bossk Story we're filling in?

23. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    The problem is we don't have a set date for the film, just that it's set in the rebellion era, probably after the destruction of Alderaan but not definitely. I believe Bossk actually appeared in Empire Strikes Back so we're not just talking about EU, we're talking about the movies. Bossk has a definitive look that could prove to be problematic budget wise. Frankly I think a simple name change would be the best option. That way we can do what we like.

24. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    If it's that big of a deal in regards to Bossk, then just change him to a different bounty hunter then. I guess call him Spim then.

25. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Um, to me this all looks in continuity. As in, Here's what happened next...

I guess I just don't see the problems here.

To me it looks like Desnarcam, wanting extra insurance that the job gets done, is secretly assigning a backup, Bossk, to the job Tinian and Chenlambec have been hired for. Bossk is a good choice because he's got it in for them and it's personal, and Desnarcam knows that.

From RX's writing of the hiring scene, I kind of surmised something like this was going on even though we weren't told of it, and thanks to what drew posted I can see exactly what that was. To me it looks like it all fits.

Am I missing something here?

:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.