main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Community is being overrun by spam.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Luigi, Feb 6, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In Saga we require spoiler tags for a set amount of time after the new movie is released, and obviously we are discussing all the Star Wars films there. I think something similar could work for Marvel and DC new releases.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That's a rule in JCC too, though not entirely sure how long. Still, it may be only a week or two before people want to stop using them. I would like to see a month at least and keep it that way. How hard is it to use spoiler tags?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Concern is not so much for those writing, but for those reading. It makes conversation a bit of a hassle.

I completely understand the need for them in the 2-3 weeks after a film is released, but wouldn't support anything longer than that.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    With regards to spoilers in the EUC and SWC we keep everything spoiler coded for two weeks after the release of a new film and that seems to generally work well. Of course y'all are trying to be less like SWC so... :p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Regarding spam threads:

On a previous forum, which I was a moderator part of, we had a sub-section for the general chat area which was for more or less 'spam/game threads'. In the long run, it actually helped to cut down on the spam threads. We also would lock those threads, which had no posts, after a month.

Might be something worth looking into?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure we had a Games/Census forum but it was folded into Community when we gained the tagging ability. Same with Amph and Senate.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Is it possible to separate again or would it create too many problems for Community section?

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That would really be up to the forum mods. Physically separating the threads would be fairly easy but it would be a step back, in my opinion. If I remember correctly we combined them because smaller forums weren't getting much traffic.

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah, I see.

Have you considered allowing only mods to create the spammy type threads? I know it would be rather control freakish, but it might stem the tide and make it more manageable (I say that as someone, who has authored several large spam threads)

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    An alternative might be that regular users can start the threads but only with permission from a forum mod. SW Community use that approach for fan club and game threads and it seems to work pretty good.

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I would highly recommend that approach.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Very salacious and can easily turn quite toxic.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh Definitly Spam. And that’s coming from someone who actually likes these types of threads.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, it's a spam thread.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A fun thread most definitely.

Which brings me to another question. Personally I see the +battle threads as spam, even moreso than a thread like this. I get that it's just taste/style whatever that decides it for people, but seriouosly, what is the difference?

B3 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The battle threads are JCC events that get people excited and engaged. They're participatory. Friends and enemies are made. There's actually people going back and forth with some sort of goal. It's much more of a group thing than random spam into the void. There's a communal feel to it.

And I say this as someone who doesn't participate in the survival threads and doesn't care for them. I can see the difference. It's the difference between a royal rumble and...a bunch of people saying random things at each other, with no actual dialogue between each other. It's the difference between family game night and fridge poetry magnets.

It's spam, but the kind of spam that brings people together. Or makes them enemies for life.

18. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Sorry are we just going to gloss over a mod admitting to dereliction of duty here? They just avoid threads in the forums they're supposed to be moderating because they don't want to be spoiled? Maybe don't accept the responsibilities of a mod if you cannot handle them.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    When I was mod in the Amp, I got spoiled on so much **** because I read every single post in the forum. That's not exactly realistic when the forum is large and/or moves quickly though. I, for one, don't see a problem with too much spam. I still roll my eyes at parody threads and never open them, but how much time does it take to scroll past three or four threads?

I would highly argue against viewing things like What's the Last Movie/Book/Album or whatever as spam threads. Those have a lot of great content and discussion and I'm not saying that just because I like to post reviews in them myself. I do tend to find myself posting in a few threads over and over, like the U.S. Politics thread and the Movie thread and the Gun Control thread, etc. But the presence of other threads that I'm going to scroll right by isn't a problem for me at all.

And, look, depending on how you define spam, I'm all for it occasionally. I recall very shortly after the move and Amp getting rolled back into JCC, me and whatever alias crem was using at the time just derailing the Last Movie thread for a whole page by acting foolish about . . . God, I don't even know what, but I just remember thinking, "Ah, if this is what rolling Amp back into Community is going to beget, then I'm all for it." And I wouldn't want anything to discourage the massive Slowpoke debates in the superhero threads; I guess some people hate them, but I get a tremendous amount of joy from them. But, you know, I just try to be easy going around here now; I like having strong personalities around and a wide variety of posting styles banging up against each other. I tried having legit stress over this place and it broke me; I just hang around to have as much fun of as many different kinds with as many different people as possible now.

@Boba Nekhbet [:D]

Sarge likes this.
  20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Having just visited that thread and read through it......I would say it is good fun. You have people posting. It's nonsense. But nonsense can be fun and lead to some wildly awesome ideas. No one would post there if they were not having fun.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Something in between I guess? You could argue it's not spam since it requires some amount of creativity as opposed to just constantly posting "Water, milk, coffee, etc."

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So what, locked only on weekdays? :p

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You may be onto something here.... [face_thinking]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    As I said before, when I moderated on another forum, we clamped down on spam threads to a) encourage members to post in a more discussion based manner and b) stop accounts, which purely just stuck to spam threads.

btw, I define a "spam thread" which encourages you to randomly post one of the following:
    • Picture
    • Video
    • Words
    I know it is a tad draconian @JoinTheSchwarz , but maybe prohibiting threads (which encourage random/meaningless content) might be an easy solution.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey, You have to think before you type in that thread. :p