main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Compilation of direct trilogy mirrors (1-4, 2-5, 3-6) (Note: Image heavy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I get the feeling Palpatine was more fond of Anakin than Luke though. In his own evil way of course.

Of course by ROTJ, his power-hunger has gotten the best of him and is of course his downfall.

2. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

HevyDevy likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Can't wait to see you update this with TFA shots!

4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I might do it when the DVD comes out. Although I'm probably not the best person to analyse TFA, only seen it twice so far, it's pretty good but I feel that the links to ANH are not necessarily as "mirrored" as what we got in the prequels.

5. Antpocalypse

Antpocalypse Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2016
    Finally got around to seeing this and I must say, great work once again @ HevyDevy !!

Now onto the last thread!

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    This is the most comprehensive of the visual mirror threads I made I think. Just hoping lots of people view it.

7. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    There are several past discussions of the extensive mirroring in the saga, I don't know if Lucas will ever clarify which are intentional on his part.

Firstly, there is 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 demonstrated on this thread. Plus perhaps now 1-4-7. Some other users discussed that here...
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/similarities-of-the-trilogies-opening-episodes.50037943/

But the ring theory takes it to a new level, based mostly around the ring structure 1-6, 2-5, 3-4.

I discussed consecutive (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6) parallels going from episode to episode here...
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cutive-episodes-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-5-5-6.50025430/
    If anyone wants to extend this to 6-7 feel free to, I am no expert on TFA.

There are parallels between and across all seven films so far, but my personal favourites are the links between spiritual opposites - the lightest and darkest times in the galaxy - TPM and ROTS...
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ee-warning-image-heavy-slow-loading.50023053/

Tonyg likes this.
  8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Just a little thing that came to me a second ago...

TPM - SHMI: He can help you. He was meant to help you.
    ANH - OBI-WAN: I need your help. She needs your help.

9. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I love these little details. Truly shows the genius of George Lucas. :)

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    TFA - Han: People are counting on us. The Galaxy is counting on us.

HevyDevy and bstnsx704 like this.
  11. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    Great Thread! I really enjoy these sort of connections, I think it makes the story (1-6) so much more powerful and cohesive.

ConservativeJedi321 and HevyDevy like this.
  12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    A quick parallel expanding on Qui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's deaths...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Qui-Gon on realising he has been killed sees Anakin's prospective future unravelling as he won't be able to train him. It contributes to Anakin's fall.
    - Obi-Wan on realising he is about to be killed has the opposite reaction - as a force ghost guiding Luke he can actually help him more by guiding him from within the force. He is helping Luke begin his journey towards becoming a Jedi. Plus he is inspiring Luke against Vader.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  15. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    wonderful images!

HevyDevy likes this.
  16. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Here ya go HevyDevy... Actually just posted this one in a thread in the PT forums...

The torture of people close to Father and Son, and what the ensuing visions mean to them as those visions draw them to the source...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darthman92 and HevyDevy like this.
  17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Makes Vader pretty masochistic in ESB as well... using the same weakness that turned him to snare Luke shows how cold he is to his past and his once noble self.

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That's the single most important mirror to me between the two trilogies, and a big part of what makes watching them in Episode order rewarding. Vader is trying to turn Luke over to the Dark Side by manipulating his attachment to his friends just as it was Anakin's attachment to his family that drove him there. I wonder if Rey will have a similar test in Ep. 8. Maybe she'll be the first protagonist to actually complete her training w/o falling to temptation, lol

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    This is mostly a repost, might fit here. It may be obvious to some SW hardcores. :)

Similarities between the Jedi and Sith...

- Ideally, trained from birth.​

- Train in pairs. The PT starts focused on a pair of Jedi (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan) complementary to the pair of Sith (Sidious and Maul). The PT ends with Yoda and Obi-Wan complementing Sidious and Vader.​

- Both orders value the power of the force over anything else. Key difference is the Jedi strive to surrender to the force's will, where the Sith strive to impose their will on the force. Both orders' power is derived from the same source however. The Jedi focus outward, and believe in being used for a higher purpose, the Sith look inward and strive only to serve themselves.​

- If you look at ANH particularly, Obi-Wan and Vader on some level hold a certain respect for each other that status-wise puts them "above" the less spiritual wars that occur in the galaxy such as the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War. Like they think it just doesn't need to be said. This carries across into the other films, with the Emperor stating from experience that the Jedi are "relentless" and "could destroy (them)", and Yoda warning Luke not to underestimate the Emperor's powers and hinting a Jedi's greatest enemy is the dark side within themselves.​

- Both orders come out of hiding and obscurity and overthrow the other order in each trilogy respectively.​

- The Sith ruled the galaxy in an era prior to the PT, became the underdog, then come back into power aligned with a central government in ROTS.​
    The Jedi ruled the galaxy before the OT, became the underdog, then come back into power aligned once again with the Galaxy's central government after the conclusion of ROTJ.​

- Jedi Temple spire (ROTS) and Sith DSII spire (ROTJ).​

- According to Sidious Luke will be "made a Sith" when he confronts Vader and the Emperor (by killing in hate).​
    According to Yoda Luke will be "made a Jedi" when he confronts Vader and the Emperor (which turns out to be by refusing to kill his father).​

- Both Jedi and Sith will overpower a citizen's decision making ability if they find it serves their greater purpose. Of course, this is used to very different ends.​

- Obi-Wan kills Maul and is knighted a Jedi. Anakin kills Dooku and helps kill Mace, and is knighted a Sith.​

- Jedi seek immortality after death through selflessness, Sith seek immortality in the living world through greed.​

- Obi-Wan is quite insistent Luke becomes a Jedi in ANH, compare this to Palpatine's persuasiveness with Anakin in ROTS. Really, both Luke and Anakin aren't fully informed what they are getting themselves into. Luke would likely be less eager if he knew his father had fallen to the dark side rather than being killed a noble man. They are recruited (in Luke's case to a good cause) with half-truths.​

- They both fight with lightsabers :p

- Both orders' stability is threatened by the mere existence of the other order.​

PCCViking, Ewok Poet and Darthman92 like this.
  20. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Also, if you think about it, Obi-Wan and Maul's brief duel after Qui-Gon's defeat is two young archetypes of each Order, trained all their life, and fighting with conviction for their lives.

Ewok Poet and Darthman92 like this.
  21. Kronin

Kronin Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2016
    I'm not saying anything new and this is far from being the only example between the trilogies, but I'm always been particularly fond about almost everything in the parallel between Anakin and Luke losing their right hand is mirrored:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Ep II: Hero on the left, Villain on the right of the scene / Ep V: Hero on the right, Villain on the left of the scene;
    • Ep II: We see the scene with the camera shooting back to the hero / Ep V: We see the scene with the camera shooting in front of the hero;
    • Ep II: The main color of the environment is a warm color on the red / Ep V: The main color of the environment is a cold color on the blue;
    • Ep II: The hero remain speechless for the pain, being pushed ayway and losing consciousness / Ep V: The hero screams for the pain, remaining in place and conscious

Awushi Awere and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    So I have a mirror between I & VI, but I can't find the correct thread for that so I'll just post it here lol.
    TPM: Jedi with green lightsaber (Qui-Gon) puts his faith in Anakin against the advice of Yoda & Obi-Wan. Anakin (2 episodes later) ends up transforming into Vader.
    ROTJ: Jedi with green lightsaber (Luke) puts his faith in Vader against the advice of Yoda & Obi-Wan. Vader ends up transforming back to Anakin.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Here's one for V and VIII. I put it in a spoiler tag just in case anyone is avoiding the trailers; better safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Another one using middle trilogy episodes, this time AotC and TLJ, with The Searchers as a connective piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith

"You're welcome."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection."