main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    I should add: I saw this film in 3d, which I think that was a big mistake. The film is already dark/gritty enough, and the 3d glasses just made it worse for no real benefit. (Its not a 'must see' film to see in 3d).

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think this movie really signals the beginning of an MCU-style interconnected universe juggernaut that's going to build to massive films that dwarf the Avengers. That's both exciting, and worrying. In a weird way, though I liked Solo quite a bit, this element of it has made SW shine a little bit less for me. It feels like we are entering a busier, and less special, universe. I'm excited about that, but a little sad. Bittersweet might be the right word.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Lord Sith Harloxzz and TK327 like this.
  3. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I very much agree with this. Val was hyped up to be one of the main character, then dies 15 minutes into the film? A lame cop-out and an incredibly bad treatment of a very good character and woman of color. I was extremely disappointed. Also, her romance with Beckett? I could have done without that, it really removed a large piece of her strength as a black female character.

Most of my issues come from the treatment of the female characters in this film, the only exception being Enfys Nest. I disagreed with Emilia Clarke being cast as Qi'ra from the very beginning, and knew without even needing to confirm that her purpose would be to 1.) dote on Han, and 2.) stir up some kind of heartache for Han to move the plot along. I was not surprised to be correct, and I knew I would be correct because she is a pretty white brunette. Also, does anyone else feel that Qi'ra looking a lot like Leia sort of... makes Han and Leia's relationship feel less special? Like, Han has a "type" now. (I'm really tired of white brunette girls as love interests in Star Wars.)

I wish they'd cast Qi'ra as a woman of color (I think Martha Higareda from Altered Carbon would have been lovely). Or, I wish Han and Qi'ra's relationship had been different. I also wish Val hadn't been killed off so early for something so empty. I wish L3-37 had gotten to do a bit more in the story, too, though I am very much in love with the idea that L3's personality is now integrated with the Falcon.

Hypatia and Miriedis like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Or...Thandie Newton would have made a great Qi'ra.

JawaShuffle, TK327 and corinthia like this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see how the character deserved better as such anymore than Rio Durant. I think they were extremely well served in that they came in, made impressions and served their purpose. If she is kept around then I just see her slipping into the background once Qi'ra, Lando etc come in.

Only Han, Chewbacca, Lando and Qi'ra make it anyway in terms of the scoundrels main cast.

It could be Han. He's like MacGyver and doesn't like his first name so only used that.

Kind of an odd move but a nod to The Godfather if anything ie Vito Andolini to Corleone.

sizziano, EviL_eLF and 11-4D like this.
  6. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    the voice of Lady Proxima lol

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought it was kind of an odd choice not to give her some different alien language but then the joke about Han pretending the rock was a thermal detonator wouldn't really have worked if she wasn't speaking English. It wouldn't have landed as well if you had to read it in subtitles.

8. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Overall I really enjoyed the movie. The only complaint that comes to mind is how Han got the name Solo. It was weird and kind of lazy.

EDIT: Oh and how we never learned what the dice meant. How did Han get them and why are they so important to him?

JawaShuffle likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But that would have removed her heart-wrenching sacrificing of herself to save Beckett, which tied into her earlier moment about the importance of having someone to love, which also would make Beckett's death less tragic, because Val died to save him.

(I really love this movie):)

Immortiss, Shaak Ti, EviL_eLF and 3 others like this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Only a few real complaints.

1: The explanation for Han's last name was unnecessary and kind of corny.
    2: I couldn't understand a single word L3 was saying. I almost wish they had just used subtitles and gave her a unique language of her own.
    3: I wish they spent more time on Efyn's Nest, especially once she was unmasked. I want more of her.
    4: Really didn't dig Emilia Clarke. She felt a bit miscast, although she didn't do anything particularly wrong.

3sm1r likes this.
  11. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    it hurt me more when rio realized its better to not die alone

Shaak Ti and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I genuinely do not mean this as a disguised compliment but a real complaint: I think it could have been another 15 minutes longer. A lot of scenes felt squished together, and I think there should have been more time to establish locales and the differences between them. The battle at Mimban could have used some more embellishments, Vandor too. Enfys Nas should have been given a bigger introduction, I don't think we ever saw her hyperdrive-equipped ship? I would have liked it if the Kessel heist was a bit more drawn out, so that they better explain what their plan was, and therefore raise the stakes for when L3 goes nuts with the droids. I think the overall pace was too fast, it needed moments to breath more.

All that being said, I really liked it.

13. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I agree.

This movie just exposes how important John Williams' music is to the world of Star Wars. It took me out of the movie as a Star Wars experience. This could be a problem going forward.

Another major gripe for me, is that Han's Surname isn't really Solo; and that the name Solo was given to Han by an Imperial. Really?! why would they do this to an Iconic Character?

14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Her character was as Beckett’s love interest however, and her death was a driver for Beckett’s cynical character throughout the rest of the movie. Perhaps it would be easier to consider that than trying to elevate her in this token manner purely because of her ethnicity?

ZodaEX, cwustudent and EviL_eLF like this.
  15. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    As someone who still prefers legacy. This infuriates me to no end.

16. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    I came out of TLJ pretty pissed. I went into this movie with no expectations, and walked out intrigued by the ending. So the movie is a win in my books.

The bad
    1. Qi’ra. For most of the movie, she was the most pointless character. She was this Crimson Dawn bad-ass, but spent most of her time being nothing more than the love interest.
    2. Chewie. Again, relegated to the sidelines. So, escaping the Imperials was the life debt he owed Han? Looked like he did most of the work in that escape ...
    3. The movie was rushed. Especially in the beginning. It is all a blur until they get to Dryden Vos's party.
    4. L3-37. Why? Did they try to create a woke version of K-2SO? Epic fail.

The good
    1. Qi’ra. The ending with Maul ... now I want to know how that story ends.
    2. Han shot first :)

17. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Biggest complaints that this movie was pretty much a paint by numbers story of everything we heard about Han during the OT and an imperial gives Han his last name while we know he has a father.. why the heck isn't his family name just solo.

18. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Now sure about the Qi'ra parts but you can find out what happens to Maul in the animated Series

19. The new Han Solo is very stupid

20. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    I have seen TCW and Rebels. I know how things turn out with Maul. It is Qi’ra's story that I want to follow. Maul on the big screen again could be fun.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What is so problematic about this for so many fans? It doesn’t at all compromise his integrity. He doesn’t have a surname, or doesn’t want to give it to the Imperials. And so they give him one. Happened to lots of immigrants to America in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and still happens to young refugee kids without families someties. And that moment shows how lonely a guy Han was, and immediately hooked me into his character. In fact, that’s the moment when I decided I really felt for the guy. But maybe that’s because of my own experience with orphans...

As for criticisms: the everything feeling smushed together thing rings true. The in between scenes (particularly in between Mimban and Vandor, and between Vandor and Kessel) needed more care and attention. Particularly as the planning for heists in heist movies is often the most interesting part of the heist movie. That said, this is less of a heist movie than reviewers have claimed. It’s far more of an unrequited love story, and the journey of a young man into a wider world.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    The surname thing is a major gripe because it's just unnecessary, we don't need to see the Imperial give him the last name Solo because he is alone right now. A few minutes ago he literally wasn't Solo he had a girlfriend and it was played that bit for humor which at least for me didn't really work. Maybe if it had come about some other way it would have been cool but the way that it was done was.... IMO

Guidman likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Nothing in a story is necessary. I thought this one both felt authentic, and reinforced his loneliness. And I really liked his long pause when being asked who his people were, followed by “I have no people.” It was a moving moment. I suppose I just don’t understand why this is so annoying to some fans. But to each their own.

By the way, was a lot of Kessel mines footage just dropped? The poster art featured these huge exterior shots of the mines (including Han and Chewie riding yaks...), and then...it all felt like it was shot in the conference room at my office.

24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    The problem is that they used a black woman (the only from the group) to die for a white man

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The beginning of the movie definitely felt rushed. I would have liked to have seen more of Han in the Imperial Navy; the time jump felt weird and unnecessary.