main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    As an EU reader the fact that the "Maw" near Kessel wasn't the actual Maw felt like a slap in the face. It just felt like some kind of dirty trick.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The Maw destroyed my childhood.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Can you expand on this? My third hand knowledge of EU is that the Maw was a collection of black holes. What is the difference that isn't working for you? Unless I am mistaken, Disney was throwing a bone to the EU on this detail.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I guess it's not that mutually exclusive- I was thinking more of the facility of the same name.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    The only Maw I knew of from SW was this guy
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The dialogue "you're the good guy" "no I'm not" was bit too under the nose. They could have been more subtle about it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    The opening. I feel like I'm watching a powerpoint presentation rather than a SW movie.

3sm1r likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Blobofat yeah, especially since it was an explanation that we didn't really need.

Blobofat likes this.
  10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don't remember if I had already listed my main issues with the movie, but here it goes.

- The opening text was needless and the wording kinda bothered me. “On these mean streets”… uh that sounds like a very Disney way or describing something. Oh noes, Han Solo grew up in some MEAN streets. The streets were very MEAN to him.

- Too much biographic telling of Han Solo’s life. I feel like the movie should’ve focused on one or two adventures, explore them, let them breathe, instead of jumping from 1st adventure to 2nd adenvture to 3rd adventure and so on, like they did.

- There were some potentially good characters that got too little screen time due to: see previous point.

- The way Val died was BS. I really, really liked Val, and killing her off so soon is perhaps the thing that bothers me the most. Maybe if they had the actresses for Val and Q’ira switched, or if they had Val’s role and Beckett’s role switched, I probably wouldn’t be so bothered. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s just Thandie Newton’s incredible screen charisma and how she immediately seduced me to her character.

- I don’t get Q’ira. She wasn’t a weak character. She just… felt kinda directionless. Perhaps if they didn’t have Maul at the end and just have her assume power and own it, it would’ve been better. As it is, she is just tossed around between male characters and big bosses and hardly gets a moment to shine or own her business.

- I still don’t know if L3 is supposed to be a well-intended attempt at progressive inclusion or just a SJW parody. The way her fate was determined – becoming an internal part of the Falcon after her earning for Freedom – felt rather tone deaf. Or maybe that was on purpose? I honestly don’t know.

- Too many telegraphed moments. In a way it felt like I was watching a decent 80s movie, in another way it felt like I was watching every single narrative cliche that was done to exhaustion in the 80s with nothing new to see. I welcome the 80s, but in the decade of 2010s I still expect to see something different.

- The last fight/Han’s plan made no sense. It required too much faith on flawless, contrived predicting of characters making bogus decisions to even work. It feels like it could’ve worked in a much simpler and more logical/believable way had Han just talked to Beckett.

- Han’s character development felt… sort of pointless? Like the only reason why he didn’t take the most obvious path (joining Enfys Nest group - which not only provided a source of incoming but it perfectly matched his anti-Empire rebellious nature and good-natured heart) is because the OT exists. Maybe they should’ve picked a different prequel storyline for this character, but the ending felt really contrived.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @La Calavera

Just FYI, "mean streets" is a common way to describe rough neighborhoods in the United States. That may not translate well to non-US viewers, but the intention was certainly not to Disnefy or kiddify the language.

La Calavera likes this.
  12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    That is good to know

It’s probably the case of me not being a native English speaker, but that wording surely made for a few jokes among my group of friends at least. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Haha. Fair enough! The adjective is based on the older English definition of the word “mean,” which meant a combination of rough and poor. It’s actually fallen out of use a little these days, but was very common usage in the 70s/ 80s. I think Howard used it to evoke that era of cinema. Which is consistent with the other retro elements of the film, some of which you noted in your critique.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    La Calavera likes this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nice, I was wondering the same thing about "mean" when I watched the famous movie of Scorsese (the one with the song "be my babe" <3). Now everything is clear.
    @La Calavera
    I agree, the actress playing Val is superior to Clarke imo.
    The problem of her death is that a sacrifice is completely out of place in that context, especially since Beckett is later clearly defined as someone who doesn't give a damn about anything. I think there is a line in which he even kind of includes her in the people he didn't trust...

About the clichè... How is it possible that nobody raised a perplexity about Beckett spinning his guns like a little kid? I mean during the production process... Nobody who said "Mr. Kasdan I fear that this might be a lame idea. Can we think about it for a moment? " lol

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I didn’t realize anyone had a problem with Beckett spinning his guns. It’s just a fun little Western flourish. Though I suppose in this cynical age, it could be interpreted as “lame.”

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Well, as you might have noticed, I tend to have problems with virtually everything, so I can't be taken as a reliable sample to determine what is generally appreciated and what is not.

TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't realize that either. Beckett spinning his guns like that is one of my favorite little details in Solo. I liked it when Jango did it in AOTC as well.
    Come on people, didn't you watch westerns when you were kids? ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  18. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I took that line, when he is talking to Han, to mean that he was resentful of the loss of someone he *did trust, and apparently had future plans with, and while that loss was not Han's fault, Becket can offload the sting of this loss by warning Han to never have a soft spot / never trust anyone. He is inflicting on Han a solution out of proportion to the problem, and it occurs during a stage of grief. It is a contradiction, it is a peek under the surface at a putative, real Becket, it contains the ghost of Val, and the ghost of Val continues forward into the final interaction between Han and Becket. I believe it was Val's thesis that "everyone needs [wants] someone" that is a counterpoint to Qira's "everyone serves someone". If I'm forgetting my lines already, someone tell me.

wobbits and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    You are the opposite of Obi Wan (semicit.)

@Hernalt
    I don't remember the actual line, so I don't have the basis to discuss it.

20. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    The line was approximately, 'don't trust Anyone and you'll be safe'. That was on the Falcon.
    That caused a recollection of Becket punching Han at the two grave sites and saying something like, 'you don't listen and you can't take orders.' Han did not follow the order to keep hold of the coaxium carrier and play chicken with the cloud riders. And that causes a recollection of Becket kissing that blaster that he bequeaths to Han. Trust, and particularly trust among friends of low places, and trust among help that is not good help, because good help is hard to find, comes up quite a bit.

The Becket spinning blasters is his signature. When he buys a house he just spins his blaster 50 times.

Bor Mullet and 3sm1r like this.
  21. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Thinking of Beckett, his final dying face is quite funny. It's a real low-budget Bonanza/High Chaparral hammy expression. Not really a criticism though as I love his character. It just made me chuckle when I probably should be tearing up a little.

22. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I thought the Honest Trailer for Solo by Screen Junkies was spot on with the problems with it.

However, ever the Solo waffler, I watched it again and now am feeling less critical of it again. I can't decide if I like or don't like this movie and since I um have seen it several times now I have to in some way like it because I wouldn't watch it if I didn't.

I actually could see a sequel with all the characters from my viewing of it this time, even if a prospect of Han working for Jabba and how that started is just borrrrrrring to me. But I could see a way in which perhaps Han and Kyra aren't really done yet in the story and the next one could possibly follow all four characters: Han, Lando, Enfys, Kyra. I mean this conflict between Empire, Rebels, crime syndicates, trying-to-be-independent smugglers would still be a thing.

It's not that I dislike New Han, but he is as Honest Trailers well put it, pretty bland.

I also noticed this time more of the references also to the ST in addition to the OT. Like seriously, stop over-referencing everything! Although admittedly the ST references I guess don't annoy me as much even when there is a lot of the same lines like "I could use a co-pilot" etc.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Lt. Hija likes this.
  23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    It's Qi'ra not Kyra.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Very little complaint: they invented an alien language that sounds french for the black woman singing. It's quite annoying to see the cliché French = sophisticated used in a SW movie.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Sounded more like Portuguese to me. A riff on Brazilian bossa nova jazz.

Anyway, these real world echoes in alien languages has always existed in SW. The jawas speak straight up Swahili, after all.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    3sm1r likes this.