main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Rumor has it Lucas made one last round of changes to all six Star Wars films in preparation for the saga's 3D conversion. When he decided to sell the company those morphed into him making his final cuts of Star Wars. The 2012 BluRays are supposedly the final cuts of the Prequels. But he also over saw 4K transfers and remasters of the OT which were finished in late 2011 or 2012. Every now and then you'll see a clips from Star Wars used in a montage that are definitely from this new 4K transfer. And the company that created the 4K scans had some of the footage in their demo reel.

Long story short, Lucas made additional changes to the films for his final editions. Not much is know about what is new. But the one rumored change is the Han & Greedo scene was switched back so only Han shoots.

When the digital version of the OT came out on iTunes and streaming there were reports it would be the new cuts. (They aren't.) Most likely they are being held back until the home video deal with 20th Century Fox expires in 2019 or 2020. That's not so far away now. So time will tell. But maybe a 9 film box set will come out after Ep9 with Lucas's new final cuts of the Saga.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    As I saw it, Han noticed Beckett’s finger going to the trigger before he shot. Remember, also, we’re talking about Han becoming a bit more cynical and practical by the end, so him shooting Beckett doesn’t have to be fully justifiable from a Kantian ethical perspective or anything (or from Han’s perspective from earlier in the film). I’m saying that by that point in the story, Han probably saw his action there as justifiable self-defense.

3. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Han shot first? :D

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    At the greatest reduction, Han shot first to get his girl back. That did not work because we see that she flies away at the critical moment when she could have reunited with him. Disney cannot tell me / assert to me that Han shot first for the good cause of helping Enfys Nest in a self-effacing act to tip the balance of power away from a worn-out, retiring soon to be irrelevant gunslinger (Becket) who has stolen riches from evil, in order to give those riches to someone who represents more good than Becket will ever do, Enfys Nest who is a seed value in the Rebellion. That would mean Han learned evil / performed evil to accomplish good, and that means he aided the Rebellion by gaining the power of doing evil. That's just unpalatable, out of character, intrusive and invasive. (That would be, in my opinion, as bad as Disney giving the Death Star's flaw an Intelligent Designer so as to intrusively preach the ownership of, and retroactive participation in, the glory that was the original effort, as originally depicted, by the original SW77. There were no British spy engineers designing fatal flaws into Germany's mega machines.) But give me a Han that shot first in a bid to impress with the *theatrical performance of a good deed... That makes sense. And his cynicism can arise from multiple sources and events.

Hypatia likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999

This was released yesterday. I figured it could be included here because, while it focuses on the movie's good points, it also takes it to task for the usual reasons, including the overused and inaccurate, "Nobody wanted to see this movie."

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ Still, this is the criticism thread... maybe post that video on the Solo reviews thread?

3sm1r likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    That thread title mentioned "User Reviews", so I wasn't sure. But, you have a point. I'll post it there, too.

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My three complaints, otherwise it's a great movie:

1. Lady Proxima's voice - Give her an alien language and subtitle it.
    2. Lighting early - A lot of the Corellia stuff seamed a little too dark. I understand the grey overcast vibe for the planet they were going for, but particularly in the Lady Proxima area, it's a little too dark.
    3. Han's name - No need for the silly "who are your people," bit with the imperial recruiter giving Han the Solo name. Why not just have Han Solo be his real name and leave it at that?

9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The movie itself explains why the scrumrat den is dark. Lady Proxima, her children, and her goons cannot be subjected to sunlight or they burn. That's why when Han throws the rock she screeches and chaos breaks out. It shows her skin turn red and she immediately dives back into the water.

Bor Mullet and themoth like this.
  10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    There's an interesting change of lighting in the existing released film, from night to day. Movie starts at night. Not 45 minutes later in GFFA time? It's daytime. My working theory is that this indicates the cutting out of a transition scene. Han brings the coaxium into the underground city, and Qira intercepts him, at night. The dialogue that remains in the present existing film can allow that there was a night to day interlude, and that after the interlude, when they were both trying to head OUT, and NOT to Proxima's court (Going somewhere, Solo?), they were apprehended. But the pacing works just as it is, with no interlude. It is better As it is, with the night to day fast transition, because otherwise one has to wonder why they would use valuable time. Meta reasoning is that Howard and co wanted to paint Correllia's portrait in several best lights in as short a segment of film as possible.

Hypatia and Lt. Hija like this.
  11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Minor complaint:
    This is really nitpicking, but during the Sabacc game something weird happened. Han went all-in, and instead of calling/raising Lando said "my ship... against your ship".
    What kind of bet is it? They admittedly didn't even know how much Han had put in the pot. Han intentionally pretended to have a really beautiful ship, but from the movie the assumption is that the MF was actually even more expensive, and that the difference in value was around the amount that Han had bet.

It's also quite weird that Lando accepts to play again at the end before he can even have the proof that Han's ship exists. He behaves like a chicken.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Also, and sorry for the double post, the robots have that little thing that makes them slaves. Why would people produce droids with feelings and autonomous thinking and then add a chip to make them slaves? If you need them for a precise task, just design them with slaves attitude from the beginning [face_thinking]

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s because Lando didn’t have the MF either. It had been impounded. He was only able to get it back with Beckett’s help.

Clearly those droids were not designed for the specific tasks assigned to them by their current owners. They were designed for broader reasons, and were made to have a significant degree of autonomy, for one reason or another. Then their new owners (such as the Pykes) essentially decided to enslave them by adding restraining bolts.

Was there any implication in the film that the Pykes had designed those droids? I didn’t think so.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Fair point, what about the last scene? He accepts the rematch without asking questions. I'm very easy to trick, 'cause I tend to believe everything, but even I would have asked to see the ship before playing again.
    Anyway, the bet remains odd. Not that it bothers me particularly, but odd. Lando bets a ship that he has never described (later on Han demonstrates that he knows nothing about it) and everyone in the room seems to agree that it's a fair bet.

I'm starting to get confused about the droids. C3PO has a personality, but he does respect the rules according to which he was programmed. He says it explicitly more than once. I recognize, though, that probably with that chip he would be closer to a robot-zombie. Fair enough, I'll take it.

Hypatia likes this.
  15. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Wish I could remember the game proceedings. As far a the droids go, I recall Luke saying, 'I've never seen such loyalty in a droid before', so droids have *positive biases towards some individual or work role of that individual, as well as negative biases that need constrained/restrained. And, as far as I am aware, all the droids on Queen Amidala's Royal Naboo Starship did not have restraining bolts and so satisfy the idea of a worker / slave / employee / servant class that is loyal to its patron. L3 exhibits a greater level of self awareness, and a greater awareness of role in the droid / owner economy, than 3PO. 3PO says, 'no one worries about upsetting a droid', to which Han says, 'because droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets', and this encapsulates a structural inequality we are supposed to sympathize with. Droids can do but may not (they are restrained and therefore second class citizens). Wookies and bipedal human analogs are not as physically capable as the metal servants that do their bidding, and are not restrained. 3PO's complaint that no one worries about upsetting a droid can refer to *every instance of master/slave relationship between owner and droid, even up to such benevolent representations as Amidala with droids willing to perish doing their duty. The fact that she/Panaka praised R2 does not erase the structural inequality 3PO complains about. A most pedantic analogue for a Roman Empire / Republic before its fall would be to imagine an R2 that was duly free to leave its master. That we do not see such a thing reinforces an accepted inevitability or status quo that such a state of master/slave or master/servant exists in the Star Wars experience. I dare say it reinforces a 'propriety' that such a state exists in the Star Wars universe, but that should be interpreted to be a mythological yore that carries the Star Wars consumer to a primitive state of archtype, closer to the Lacanian mirror stage where all but the self is servant to the self, and not a defense of structural inequality in the real world the consumer has to live in. Lucas himself, for his own ineffable reasons and priorities for keeping the Star Wars story lines internally connected, placed R2 in a servant role of Leia's mother. That R2 retains and maintains such a servant role towards the daughter of its first owner, and displays such fierce loyalty to carry out that next generation's wishes, introduces the idea of a family servant or house servant that persists across generations, and does not possess their own initiative or opportunity to go and make their own way. It's a seductive tourism into aristocracy that can be consumed inside the mythological Star Wars experience, and should not be used to normalize or explain any real world plantation type structural inequalities that restrain access and mobility. What a dicey topic ripe for hyperbolics.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Hypatia and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My biggest complaint with this movie is the same red and green lasers used. It gets old when your trying to use the same OT motifs. I also didn’t like the music. It was a rehash of the OT coupled in with a new situation. Other than that I liked the movie a lot. It is a shame we may not get a sequel to the story. I definitely would like to know what happens with Kira and if she and Han reconcile a bit. We know that they are never going to be together.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s one of the most Star Wars fannish comments I’ve seen in a long time.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just saw Solo for the 2nd time last Tuesday on my flight to LA. I definitely enjoyed it more than the first time. I also liked having the first issue of comic adaptation fresh in my memory especially since the movie starts with Han hot wiring the vehicle and we get the explanation later. I liked seeing why he was doing what he was doing in the comics and that only helped with the enjoyment of the film.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I wish we got the deleted Academy scene in the film. It sets up Han's character more, and we get to actually see him disobeying orders while flying. Show, not tell.

I felt Val's death was really cheap and not that impactful. Rio's was a little better, since we saw him die right in front of Han.

I'm mixed on the Maul cameo. It felt somewhat shoehorned in just so we can see a lightsaber at some point during the film.

Lt. Hija, Blackhole E Snoke and 3sm1r like this.
  20. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Kessel Run - really disappointed me. I was expecting something epic with Falcon and Han and all I got is worst version of Obi Wan and Jar Jar trip from Gungan city to Naboo capital.
    Now if I want to see Falcon in action I will watch TFA and Jakku run not Solo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    eko32eko7 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Man, that's harsh.

22. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Not really. In TPM it was OK scene, In Solo it was OK scene too, but it was suppose to be THE main part of the story. It wasn't. It was dark, some monsters, one Star Destroyer doing nothing and ...? Anything else?

3sm1r likes this.
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @MaciekRS
    I felt underwhelmed by almost everything I saw in the movie, not only the Kessel Run.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Who said it was “supposed to be THE main part of the story?” Nobody. It’s aldp my least favorite scene in the film. I think it doesn’t quite fit the more down-to-earth nature of the rest of the film, and maybe shouldn’t have been included. But there was no expectation of it being the main part of this story.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Well it certainly should have been the main spectacle of the movie. This apparently amazing feat that had been a mystery for 40 odd years, has become a complete disappointment.