main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    If I produced audio that sounded vague and muddy on a significant percentage of industry standard playback equipment, I'd justifiably be called a bad producer and my audio would be called a bad production. If I published a book that was hard to read in daylight and under normal lighting conditions, I would justifiably face criticism for being a bad publisher. Making a murky vague and drab looking movie that (supposedly) is only properly visible on a proportion of the venues it was playing at, that would make you a bad film maker who made a badly produced film.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Some things in life are bad. They can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing life's gristle. Don't grumble. Give a whistle. And this'll help things turn out for the best. And...
    Always look on the bright side of life.

3. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    You're in the wrong thread.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    =D=

5. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Hmmm, looks to be a manager applauding trolling. Standard.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It wasn't trolling, it was quoting Monty Python in all good fun - something always worth applauding.

DarthPhilosopher and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    "everything they say about me is true" is a pretty dumb thing to say

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well what if it was true?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's Lando owning everything about his reputation - good, bad, true, false. Classic Kasdan. Classic Lando.

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It doesn't make sense. How can he even know everything people say about him. Even pretending he did, how can it be in his best interests to confirm it?

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've avoided getting involved in this thread, as I don't want to post contrary to its spirit.

That line is pure swagger from Lando. It's hyperbole, it's not supposed to be taken too seriously, or literally. It's not meant to account for and own up to anything and everything anyone has ever said about him. It's pure bravado and braggadocio. Actually questioning his use of "everything" is being overly literal in response.

I found it amusing and in character for Lando.

Bor Mullet, wobbits and Outsourced like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    People love Solo too much in this forum.
    The pleasure of complaining is drained out, when I have to do it alone :(

dogprivilege, La Calavera and Ava G. like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think there's just not enough people coming here. Doesn't seem like many people find RO or Solo worth discussing, regardless of how they feel about it. The few times I've stopped by, it hasn't even been worth stopping by.

I just saw Solo for the first time recently and loved it. I was looking forward to discussing it, but was disappointed by the lack of activity here. It was immediately clear that there was no discussion to be had here.

Criticism drives discussion. Without it, threads/forums tend to die.

Sorry you aren't getting much enjoyment out of this place, either.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This was how I took it as well.
    In the literal sense, I agree. But, I don't think that was the spirit in which the line was intended.

Outsourced likes this.
  15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think this can be said of every set in the film except the Falcon, which I thought looked good. Vos' yacht is ok, but nothing to write home about. Overall, the set design is tv-quality. Most of the creature effects are movie quality, but it's not enough to carry it imo. But yeah, Kessell was not good, and extremely disappointing considering how long we'd been waiting to see it.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bu-bu-but it got a VFX Oscar nom!

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I believe he's talking about the cinematography rather than the visual effects.

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I thought the effects looked good.

I'd prefer to not be second-hand insulted because of that fact, or have a strawman built on top of me.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He's a braggart with a high opinion of himself...he both accepts all the good things people say about, and all the bad things people say about him. He thinks most if must be good (because he has a high opinion of himself), and that the bad things probably assist his reputation in the seedy underworld. And that saying something like this gives off an air of braggadocio confidence that makes him popular. I don't believe this requires much explanation.

And this has nothing to do with liking the movie. It's just a factual explanation of this line. It's swagger. What's not to understand?

Kessel is indeed the worst-looking set in the film. It was a rush job, for sure. And one of the first things Howard shot.

The rest of the sets are great.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    V-2 likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    dp

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Bor Mullet
    I think you are missing my point: the sentence sounds dumb no matter what the personality of the character is. If someone told me something similar in real life, a possible follow up would be "do you really know ALL the rumors about you? If this is the case, it means people don't talk about you that often after all."
    Or maybe "they told me that you are not trustworthy, should I assume this is true as well?"
    It's just a weird way to brag.

22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't realise that was the first thing they did with Howard, I think I'd built myself up in to it being something more having near enough grown up with it in the old Han Solo books. But yeah other than that I enjoyed the rest of it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK. It's also a very...Lando way to brag, I think. It's swagger. Very common among swaggerers. Just projecting confidence about himself. Especially to a rival that's just arrived. It's an alpha being challenged by another alpha.

Actual line: "Everything you heard about me is true."

Translation: "I don't care at all what people say about me. I'm great. And I'm bad. Don't mess with me. Better to be my friend."

You're taking the line far too literally.

Outsourced, Guidman and V-2 like this.
  24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I would join in but I found the film so bland I can't recall much of it after one viewing. One thing, though, unless I'm just imagining this happened, wasn't there a scene where someone saw Lando's closet and there were a bunch of capes there and it was supposed to be hilarious because Lando wore a cape in ESB? I thought that was really dumb.

La Calavera and 3sm1r like this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @ezekiel22x
    Yep, right before we could experience the overacting of Emilia Clarke, as well as the lack of chemistry between the protagonists, they made a joke about Lando having many capes. You remember well.

ezekiel22x likes this.