main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It's like the guy who catches a fish & brags about it being "this big!". Over time the story gets embellished & the extent of the achievement changes.
    Absolutely it's ok, depending on how the character dies. She decides herself to die to save those she cares about. Just as Ben Kenobi does in ANH. Why are you assuming that dying is necessarily a bad thing in these types of movies?

Personally I have few complaints. The only ones I can think of are:

- Maul's cameo. For obvious reasons, ie in the movies the audience was lead to believe he's dead. I can't stand a series that expects you to view supplementary material to make sense of the films. Perhaps they can make this right in the next movie.
    - I would've preferred Han to save Chewie with a completely selfless act. Rather than teaming up with him to save his own skin. To me it weakens the basis of Chewie's life debt somewhat, since Chewie saved Han as much as the other way around. Han did seem to save him again though during the train heist, so it's not a huge deal.
    - The droid's "Look away, I can't perform while you're watching me" joke while she simply had to cut through a fence was terrible. Probably the worst SW gag since 3PO's groan inducing puns in Ep II.

I would've thought I'd have a far longer list before I saw the movie. Was pleasantly surprised.

2. I do not like that Han Solo is a worse character than Jar Jar binks
    He used to be cool in the original movies now they've ruined his character

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Re Maul - it's not as if he'd be the first character in a film to show up again having long been thought dead.

I think that L3 gag was L&M.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well for one I think Jar Jar is awesome but regardless how is Han ruined for you?

I have some quibbles here or there but it's generally in line with how he could have developed and it's still 10 years to ANH.

Nah, TLJ has a ton of things that simply don't work at all for Star Wars I'd say. TFA's "Are you talking to me?" in itself would be way up there. 3PO's old-school lines are fine Star Wars whimsical nonsense.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I agree completely- I really don't think that Val was killed off because she was a black woman- she was killed of because she was not the main character and someone has to die to demonstrate that their line of work is dangerous, and her role in the story of Han Solo worked better if she is the one that dies- she was part of the motivation for Beckett. She just happened to be a black woman- that in itself is irrelevant (as it should be in world that supports real equality)- if she would have been instead white woman, man, droid or alien, people would have complained that there are no meaningful black women in this movie at all or something- and see that as social injustice. We can always claim that there is social injustice even if there isn't. I really don't think that we need to see it as social injustice if blacks, asians and women are not always the main characters or if they are side characters sometimes (and even die)- real problem has been that they never are the main characters- hardly ever even side characters and even when they appear- they are often in very stereotypical roles that any actor of the same attributes could play. But that problem is corrected in films like The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi for example. But that doesn't mean that all movies suddenly need to drop all white heterosexual males from main parts and fill them with females, LGBT-minorities and non-whites exclusively- that would in my opinion be closer to social injustice and it wouldn't correct the real problem IMHO. Focus would still be in races and genders etc. while I think it shouldn't be. Overemphasizing race and gender as defining qualities is what I think problems of racism and sexism are all about. In the world of real equality people are not seen only as bearers of certain traits like gender and race. That is my view at least...

That said I thought she was a great side character in the film, who just happened to be a black female, but then why not? She was also other things like human, criminal, good shooter and obviously heterosexual etc. What comes to her death I think her being criminal who pulls off dangerous heists was more relevant than her gender or race. Or should one's gender or race give one impenetrable character shield then? I think it would make movies predictable and boring.

That would've been really interesting in fact[face_thinking]. We don't know how old creation she is. Though she would've probably seen separatist droid army as immoral utilization of droid slaves that were created to fight and die for their evil masters. So she hardly would support separatists even if she would care about battle droids.

6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Darth Maul could easily confuse people not familiar with his animation appearances. I would have been more intrigued by someone else. It sort of seemed like he was just randomly picked.
    I didn't really like L3, other than serving the role of becoming a part of the ship's computer.

Now it is hard not to see it knowing that people will bring it up, often out of context aiming to try to impress people, hoping to get some kudos or retweets, and the advocacy falls flat. I saw her in the movie and I could imagine the negative and seemingly positive online posts about her, all simply because she is a black actress, which is ridiculous because Thandie Newton has a very established career playing a variety of roles. I was glad to see her here. What do people want now, for minority actors to have really safe roles where so many things can not happen to them or where they can only play certain kinds of characters, but just to be present like a token? That perspective is no different from people who look at a person's color with a hateful or prejudiced perspective. I see it all the time, and it becomes clear people view their "people of color" associates or friends as simply that, therefore their views really are not progressive. Cast someone, and then there is a problem with how that actor was used (an actor who signed up for the role knowing what it entailed, by the way). Don't cast someone, and it's a problem. If this is how people are looking at even Star Wars movies - completely disregarding anything about the actor other than that she is a certain color, just like people who interact with me and all they see is a demographic - then society has really gotten screwed up. She died, so it is insensitive. She lives through the whole movie as a main character, and there are people complaining about it being a "PC agenda with diversity casting."

Blackhole E Snoke and EviL_eLF like this.
  7. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    • L3-37 was just a social justice warrior device in the film for me -
      I was actually so relived when she kicked the bucket
    • The story seemed a bit rushed to get us from one significant plot point to the next.
    • I hated the sort of breaking of the fourth wall when
      the imperial march was used during the Empire recruitment commercial
    • I was really hoping to see atleast one of these three in the movie: Kashyyyk, Boba or Jabba and we got none of them.
    I did like the movie overall though and I'll be going for a second viewing! :D:D

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I don’t see how.

Honestly, I don’t get some of the criticism I’ve seen for Solo. It’s like some people never got over the recasting issue, or the idea this movie was ‘unnecessary’. Or people who have a bias against Disney in general, hoping for burnout. What grinches. This is a solid movie.

9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I don't understand either. How does presenting a young, idealistic, non cynical Han ruin his character? He is given to us as a good hearted, caring, kid who hasn't yet been so scarred by life that he is the jaded person we meet in ANH. This film just makes me love him even more!

10. Sorry but he is not Han
    He is just a different character who stole his clothes

Jedha likes this.
  11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I would have liked the movie to have warmer visuals, something more western. It looked so similar to Rogue One which I think was a mistake.

Jedi Knight Fett and corinthia like this.
  12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Hhmmmm. Here are mine --

I guess I thought corellia would have looked a little nicer than the dregs we got to see but that's ok.

I didn't need the scene where solo got his name. I think his last name already being Solo would have been fine.

I didn't expect to lose Rio and Val so soon. I wanted to get to know them more. Their loss while cutting did seem to get glossed over in an effort to move the story forward.

That's kind of it. I loved it. Going back again today

TOASTEROVEN and corinthia like this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Agreed. A warmer 70's adventure feel like ANH overall would have been a better tone. Now it's not actually as dire as it seems in some scenes but a few sequences really stand out as being R1-ish which was fine for that movie.

Also the elimination of the various wipes in these anthologies is not a good move and the saga ones only have a handful. Those old school techniques add so much. I did like the text substitute for the crawl. R1 could have used that. It's a nice way to keep the information, set things up but not present it with the roll and music of the saga movies.

14. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Just saw Solo, it is better than TLJ ( that is damning with faint praise)
    RH is a better director than RJ ( by leaps and bounds )
    Kasdan and Kasdan are better writers than RJ
    Chewie! Joonas does that thing he is perfect.
    Bettany was good
    Maul at the end was good also

However, this movie is C+
    Major complaints
    Alden E. a complete miscast, while is acting is not bad, his voice is SO ANNOYING and he is just not Han ( was there CGI done on AE face to make him look like HF?
    Qi'ra to much like Leia - the story is stepping all over Han and Leia ( STOP ) LF stepping over the OT to write new material that is just not necessary. Jesus take the wheel. :qui:
    The way Solo get's his name - dumb[face_monkey]
    Donald G. I am disappointed not as good as advertised, and the color scheme for his clothes is garish, DG should have lost the Afro for this role and went full konk/pimp/straight hair Billy Dee W. for this role.
    I hated the whole Kessel run, to long and I have had enough of the MF and the tie fighters and hyperspace blah blah blah this was just in TLJ, TFA enough! It's boring
    The multi armed pilot with the Brooklyn/Staten Island Sopranos gangster voice as they where gangsters ( HATED IT!) stereotyping on the level of TPM STOP
    Killing off Thandie too early, second woman of color to blow up at the beginning of a movie in a row.... REPETITIVE!
    Enfys Nest? The Rebellion AGAIN? Stop, I could have went a whole movie without hearing about the Rebellion/Resistance
    The Dice... WHY? Just saw these dumb Dice in TLJ, silly prop with no deeper meaning.
    Woody? what was his character's name again.. I forget.. but he was not the purported mentor/father figure to Han that was advertised. I would have preferred if the story had deepened that relationship between his Character & Han's instead of giving Han a GF.
    L3's death and Lando's over reaction to his toaster frying had me rolling my eyes

[​IMG]

This movie would have been 100% better as is if the main protagonist was not Han, no Lando or Chewie or MF. just make this a movie about the Star Wars underworld with Crimson Dawn, Bounty hunters and new protagonist and his crew and I would have loved it.

15. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Re: Darth Maul's appearance -

Obviously, I'd gone at this one from a the perspective of a fan who's seen Rebels and knows the full canon. So for me, it was a nice surprise. Still a bit 'wtf', but when my logical brain caught up a few seconds later, it was understandable.

However, there were many people in my screening who were obviously completely baffled (I heard some of them talking about it as I was walking out), and I've also seen a lot of articles explaining "here's the story behind that cameo in Solo". Is it a good decision if it needs to be explained by external sources to such a large proportion of the audience? It's one thing throwing in little easter eggs for hardcore fans, but suddenly bringing back a character who most casual fans believe to be dead is a risky move.

corinthia likes this.
  16. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    My only complaint might be Corellia.
    I wonder if the whole planet is looking like the Part we saw or if it has more diversity to it like in the old EU. What I definitely prefer.

DarthHass likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's inevitable. Disney didn't buy this thing so they could make a few movies and leave it be. They are going to churn productions out like there is no tomorrow.

18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The only criticism I can reasonably proffer is in the pacing, which I think is exceptionally well done, but only falters when it doesn’t give Beckett enough time to mourn the loss of Val and Rio. That’s all.

All criticism prior to this post I found interesting but I simply have no problem with how Solo got his name, Val’s death or the soundtrack. The performances were excellent, the story a straight space adventure in the vain of ANH and the soundtrack is the best of the new era. SOLO has the distinction of restoring my faith in the ability of STAR WARS to endure as classic space adventure for now and the foreseeable future. I truly love what the Kasdan’s and Ron Howard have done with the character and the SW Universe with this film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    The indication is that Han and Chewie meet Jabba for the first time. This does not mean it's the only time. For all we know, Han/Chewie do several jobs for Jabba before he upsets the Hutt.

20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    No, I don't post anything here expecting likes. Conversation about diversity and how Lucasfilm deals with non-white characters happens everywhere but I can't talk about it here.

PS: I prefered to see Val as Han's mentor and she didn't need to die

21. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    My list,

Vos didn't really work for me, too few scenes and a bit too evil phsyco.
    The other two in Beckett's crew died a little too soon and the film hardly paused for it and then moved on like nothing happened.
    Yes it is to shows that this is a dangerous work but I didn't really knew them as so their deaths didn't much matter to me.
    Lando, while he is played well, he isn't given much to actually do.
    He sits around a lot, plays cards, flies the MF a little and goes nuts over his droid.
    And he was made to look a fool at times, like when he leads them to the MF and it has been impounded, "whaa-whaa".
    And that Qu'ira met up with Han so soon.
    For the first third his motivation was "I must get back to Corellia" and then his motivation just finds him out of the blue.
    A little too neat that.
    Yes I can see the need to move the story along but it was a bit jarring.

Still I overall liked the film, good not great.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I like Lady Proxima's voice. Meg Mucklebones had pure, stereotypical witch-voice. Lady Proxima seemed to channel more Aughra from The Dark Crystal. I had to see if she was voiced by Billie Whitelaw, but sadly, she passed in 2014.

Swashbucklingjedi and Immortiss like this.
  23. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I think my biggest issue all goes back to that it just doesn't do anything for me. I love the idea of "Indiana Jones" in space and agree that the movie kinda got that vibe, but not enough. The movie should have embraced its "genre" (for lack of a better word) more. I don't feel like this adds anything to the franchise, it's just a generic action movie set in the universe. It never was going to have the stakes the saga films or R1 would have so it needed to embrace something that would make it stand out.

OFC we'll never know, but I think I much prefer the idea of L&M's version. A movie that is less afraid to be fast and loose and recognizes that since it can't rely on the stakes SW usually can, it should be trying to be something else.

Also the score. And Emilia Clarke.

Bor Mullet and Jedha like this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My only criticism is that the scenes were a bit choppy.

Bossk_Baby likes this.