main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Complaints/Criticisms of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by MotivateR5D4, May 25, 2018.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well there is a few interesting easter eggs found on Dryden's yacht , or rather Maul's, hidden in Star Wars languages. A few people translated the symbols, Like Maul's veneration to Exar Kun and Jedi and Light and Dark religious belief with a Balance embrace.

"OUR TEMPLE HONOURING SITH LORD EXAR KUN "

"edis strength FLOWS from the FORCE a powerful ally it is life creates it make it grow its ENERGY surrounds us bind us" and "POWER"

"IGHT" and "DARK" are written vertically in opposite corners, while "THE BALANCE" inscribed horizontally across the middle.

So whatever Maul was up to, went beyond the Jedi and the Sith , and seemed to have merged them for the seeking of balance. Which is interesting since Maul told Ezra to practice different beliefs. Even the Crimson Dawn's symbol is supposed to an ancient light/dark symbol dualism and represents a yin and yang. Likely also connected to the Prime Jedi yin and yang symbol seen in TLJ.

2. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I dont dislike the film but that said it is one of my least favourite of the 11 films made as people have pointed out it just seems like a checklist eg how he got his surname etc and didnt feel that original etc that said I didnt mind the acting in the film and always thought it was a shame that because of it they seemingly decided to scrap the Anthlogy films because Rouge One was so good IMO

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Why on earth do they never do any kind of hair colors for the main girls?? C'mon, anything BUT brown please!!!!

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s a good point. Is “brunette” some kind of four quadrant-appeal hair color for sci-fi fans that Lucasfilm dare not contradict?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Cindel Towani of the Ewoks movies was blond, at least. And Mon Mothma is red-haired.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Sadie Erso and Dagobahsystem like this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Mon Mothma isn't a lead though. If we take non-leads we also have Holdo, who has purple hair.

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Jocasta-Nu has grey hair right?
    Yaddle looks like a redhead.
    And Oola has green lekku.
    And Taun-We had a light blue scalp.

Kidding aside, and on topic, I was actually thinking of giving Solo another watch as it is easily my least favorite SW film by a long shot, but I want to give it yet another chance.

I feel like there is some way I can Force myself to like it.

Sadie Erso and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I wonder what Rey would have looked liked with Blond hair... lol

clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  10. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    That is scary, @clone commander bossk

....What if Jyn Erso was blond? ...
    [​IMG]

It seems like the celebrities are all going blond!! Selena Gomez, Billie Eliish, BTS...and on and on...

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have literally no idea who any of those people are.

/Old :p

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m a year older, but I also don’t know who those people are :p

13. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Oh...*cricket cricket*
    Selena Gomez is just a singer.... I don't listen to her anymore...
    [​IMG]
    Billie Eliish, she's a singer also..she looks good in blonde unlike Selena. And I really don't like her style of music...yikes.
    [​IMG]

BTS is a Korean boyband.
    [​IMG]
    And their music is AWESOME! :)
    I didn't even know about Selena or Billie until last year lol ;) And I'm a teen.

14. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    • I've seen Solo once (I think - can't remember if I've ever watched it at home). I couldn't tell you almost anything that even happened in it. It's not even that it was bad - just totally forgettable. I actually sometimes forget it was even made when I think about SW films.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only seen it once as well, and I can only remember how bad the lighting was.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The lighting seems to really depend on whether your theater was decreasing the projection light (cost-saving technique) or if your TV is properly calibrated. I got lucky in theaters, and I'd fiddled with my TV's settings at home, and never noticed anything. It's not until I turned it on at a hotel on a whim that I understood the complaints, because I couldn't see anything.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I saw it twice in the theater, and the first time I had no trouble seeing everything. The second time, certain scenes were almost pitch black, so it really was depending on the cinema.
    However, I actually really dislike the lighting in Solo. I think it's flat and ugly-looking - but that's a whole different point.

Bor Mullet and paradigmes like this.
  18. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    1. Han spends too much of the film being a tag along. He lacks his own initiative, instead being led by mentors/girlfriends/even Lando. It makes him seem younger and more incapable then he really was. I think just a couple choices left to Han could've made his characterization better.
    2. Skipping over Han's military training with the Empire was a mistake. A short montage segment could be used to establish his skills, intelligence, even his confidence in a galaxy beyond the Coronet sewers...instead we leap to him as a fish-out-of-water in the trenches. Again...Han has no agency. He chose to join the Empire...let's see what he learns from them.
    3. Making the Swoop Gang into Rebels was cheesy and predictable in a tv-movie sort of way.
    4. I like Paul Bettany...he stinks in this. Not wholly his fault, but he seems to dial this one in. He knew he was the backup plan.
    5. Maul cameo was the biggest eye-roll in franchise history.:rolleyes:

3sm1r and Sarge like this.
  19. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    CORRECTION

6. How Han became a "Solo" was the biggest eye-roll in franchise history.:rolleyes:

Forgive me...I had blocked it out.

3sm1r, Riv_Shiel, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that one irks me.

Sadie Erso, EHT and Jedimarine like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I was fine with it. :)

22. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    The middle of the movie felt slow like after the hover train part and them going to Kessel

Sadie Erso likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    [face_laugh]
    Pretty much. Terrific summary.
    I've tried to enjoy the SOLO movie, I've wanted to enjoy it. Only trouble is, it's just not good. As outlined so humorously in that vid.

Jediking97 and Sadie Erso like this.
  25. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    At some point I learned to check out of the box that says "rate this star wars movie".

If you are in it for the universe, you learn to handle the bad with the good.

20 years of EU novels and comics learnt me some patience, I suppose.

Solo can be rough...but it can also be fun...it has heart...which is more then I can say for some other entries.

Jediking97 and Sarge like this.