main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Con] C3 Caravan Stuff

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I know that there was a discussion amongst the 501st Mountain Garrison at one point regarding the possible leasing of a motor-home. Tev, we actually went down the dark side path of a possible BUS awhile back, but fortunately for you, you missed all of that madness.

Of course, we still have Tim's fly-by's to think about...

2. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    I figure we can just plant some antlers on one of their heads and be fine w/ them on the bumper

if we get zacs costume accesory done my then he would never notice being tied to a bumper.

3. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    Ya know Sith, there's always the train!!! ;)

4. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Used to ride the ole Amtrak back to my Grandparents farm in MO every summer as a kid...it's kinda one of those been there, never wanna do that...experiences for me...

5. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I wanted to bump this...I'm supposed to be helping wid ze planning, and theres no time like the present.

MHC was a month ago (yes, don't faint, its been a month) Its been a busy month, true...but it is once again time to start thinking about how we are going to logistically do this.

A lot of previous drivers have decided that due to time constraints, they prefer to fly. But I know there are a few of you die-hard-airplane-phobes floating about and I would be happy to help with this.

I am also starting a poll about flying, so feel free to chirp up wherever you want.

This isnt camping, so no camp-tator is necessary...we need a consensus. Democracy, what a novel concept, lol.

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The Birrabels and I will be driving, if for no other reason than I am not about to have to explain two very large slabs of leather in the shape of reptile tails to Airport Security, and we'd like them to get there in the same number of pieced they start out in :p

Plus, I love a good road trip :D [face_devil] I may end up w/ a Birrabel hood ornament (or two), but I think it will very much be worth it. I am fairly confident darth-jar and Bone will also be part of that caravan. There has also been talk that a PHXFFer or 3 may meet up w/ us on the Road. Haven't talked to my other FF contacts yet, since it is still early for that kind of planning yet.

Any discussions of trailers/vans would have to involve another party, since I am not in a position to be able to rent one any time in the near future. I will gladly transport the gear of the masses, as long as they make the necessary arrangements. And for those having not experienced my driving, I have a very clean driving record: it will have been 10 years since my last moving violation this coming May. In fact, it took me dozing off for a certain Sith or 2 to crank my car up beyond the speed limit on the last caravan. :p [face_laugh] ;)

7. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    *raises hand*
    I am one of the previous ones that was going to drive...I have already asked off for two weeks...tuesday the 19 to may 3 WOOHOO!!!

soo unless we would leave reallllly early on tuesday morning and there is a spot for me. i think i will be flying. :(

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You can add another car to the caravan. I'll be driving as well. When are you guys planning on leaving?

9. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I second ben's question...what day/time we planning to head out? just need to know so I can schedule leave accordingly...

10. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Indy's roughly 1100 miles away from Denver. So, actual drive-time should be in the neighborhood of 16-18 hours plus potty/snack/sanity breaks along the way.

Will this be a straight-through shot, or will there be an overnight stay along the way?

Perhaps, take off Tuesday the 19th AM, drive 600+ miles (8-10 hours), stop for the night, then complete the trek Wednesday AM to arrive Indy in the afternoon of the 20th?

Otherwise, take off sometime Tuesday, drive straight through & arrive Indy sometime Wednesday.

I'd recommend the first option, as a straight drive through will probably still leave folks pretty wiped when the con kicks into gear on Thursday, regardless of how many drivers can spell each other off.

11. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    yeah, I know what would make sense...just not sure what zoo was planning... ;)

12. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Here's the way I have plotted the course:

Leave Tuesday (Early AM)
    Drive Thru Kansas and stop somenwhere in Missouri for the night (Maybe as far as Springfield, if we're lucky).
    Start out again AM in MO, and arrive in Indy around the dinner hour/party time.

It's a really easy drive that way... 10 hours the first day, and 8-9 the second. The timing also keeps us out of KC & St. Louis during rush hours :eek: [face_worried] And trust me, these are not the place you want to be during those times.

And for those willing to make it a harder drive the first day (12 hours driving), it makes for a really easy day the second.

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm all for driving straight through. But if not, I vote for the 12/6 two day option. Having an easy second day will make it easier to get ready for the con I think.

14. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    And easier for handling the April Birthday Bash on Wednesday Night ;) [face_devil]

Straight through is hard on most people, and doing the 2 days, gives us more time to anticipate the big weekend... And will help to combat fatigue early in the festivities ;)

15. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I can definitely do the 12 hour day the first day. Gets us there earlier the 2nd day so we can get some rest before the con starts. Also, do you have enough room in the blazer for me too, or do I need to jump on with someone else?

What about coming back? Do the 2-day thing again starting on monday? Right now I have leave scheduled from Tues 19Apr05 - Wed 27Apr05 so I have 2days to get back, 1 day to rest before I go back to "work". I say "work" because I will be outprocessing at that point ;) :D

16. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Two days back is the plan... Unless people are just fed up w/ each other on the ride back and just want go straight thru (and if we're able). If you switch drivers, 18 hours on the road isn't so bad.

17. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    right now, i really dont care how we get out there, just getting out there. 10/8. 12/6. 14/4. stright through. i really dont care.

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Bumping as noted :D

Okay, I have the route all planned out, and it ain't pretty, but it's not like we won't have visions of Clonetroopers Dancing in our heads for the trip out there... And that stuporous look of SW Overload for the return trip to distract us from the complete lack of landscape ;)

We'll probably pull a *somewhat* hard day's drive on the 19th, just to make sure we hit Indy early enough to avoid any hassles w/ Check-In at the hotel (no overbook troubles for this ZOO ;) )

On the drive back... A certain Dragon asked if we could take a little side trip so he could see his family before his days of poverty begin following his release from the evil clutches of the tall bearded fellow ;) [face_laugh] And having met JD's Mom, I would say it will be entertaining at the very least ;) [face_devil] But I will leave that up to the masses (and the person in whom's car he will be) to decide his fate :)

The only thing that has not yet been decided is the issue of whether or not there will be a trailer involved for the transport of other's costumes. If this is something someone else wants to take care of, then I will make the appropriate arrangements for toting said trailer. However, I am going to put my foot down and say that this decision must be made by Feb. 15th. I have to make arrangements to either get a hitch put on my Blazer or inquire as to the possibility of use of the Big Green Machine (which has a hitch and seating for 5 comfortably (20 for rides in the bed, with the use of washboard roads and certain cones of pine ;) ).

19. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I remain as yet undecided on driving vs. flying. I will however, have a definitive plan of action in place by the beginning of February, if not sooner.

20. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I would love to have the trailer, but if not we can make do. So we will have to see what happens, we should talk about this at the meeting.

21. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Pricing from U-Haul:

6X12 Trailer (396 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 11'7"X6'X5'5") = $87 (2 days 104 miles)

5X10 Trailer (230 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 9'10"X4'9"X4'7") = $87 (2 days 104 miles)

5X8 Trailer (208 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 8'"X4'8"X5'4") = $50 (2 days 104 miles)

4X8 Trailer (142 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 8'1"X4'1"X4') = $38 (2 days 104 miles)

5X9 Uncovered Ramp Trailer (Inside Dimensions 9'2"X4'9" = $50 (2 days 104 miles)

Now we would have it for 10 days (and anyone whose stuff is being transported must be make arrangement to pick up their stuff on the Tuesday following C3). It will be dropped off on the Wednesday following C3 on my way to work in the morning, and there won't be any exceptions, since I have even less space in my garage than Sith Central (and there will be no Crap in my Garage to get rid of ;) ).

So figure 5X that price, plus a bit more for mileage, since we'd be looking at 2X the mileage for the Round Trip.

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    FYI, at this point I'll be driving my own car and have room for 3 other passengers. All seats have yet to be claimed. I should also have plenty of trunk space for other people's stuff, since my car is a mini-wagon.

23. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    If I dont fly I will be driving I can drive with you Grimby,or I can drive my Van,depending on how many drive with will determine how much cargo space I would
    have.Its a seven pass.van,I can take the seats out and have more cargo space.

24. tman

tman Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2001
    Netheryl and I will be driving also but we can't leave until Tuesday late afternoon and will have to make a little detour to pick up his brother.

We may be able to catch up with everyone at the hotel Tuesday night though.

25. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    It bmight not be until Wednesday in Indy, since we'll be leaving before Rush Hour on Tuesday morning and not stopping until people have had enough...

BTW-I have some walkies that I can bring along, but they only work in close proximity (like less than a mile at 60-75MPH)... Does anyone else have Nextel Direct Connect service? Probably not :p Other problem is that cell service seems to be pretty limited along some stretches of I-70 (another reason to not like Kansas ;) ). Everyone driving should look at their coverage maps along that route

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.