main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Con] C3 Caravan Stuff

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Unless you are looking at something longer than 8 feet, the 5X8 trailer should be the best bet. Which would be more like $300... But again, until someone CALLS U-Haul (or another company - I was just trying to get a general idea on pricing), we have no idea what the real rate would be

2. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm going to call jsut got 16 uhaul #'s that are near work. I can't call now because I'm at work & sitting next to the boss :p

3. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Maybe I should just drive and haul everyones stuff for them.With the seats out I can haul alot of stuff in my van.

4. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I did a low down and dirty plan of the driving route, and if we leave by 7AM on Tuesday, we can be on this side of St. Louis in 12 hours (including re-fuels and other breaks). Which means we can be in downtown Indy well before check-in on Wednesday, even if we start driving again around 10AM.

The way I have it figured it out, we'd be spending the night somewhere in the Danville, MO area.

Now, barring any complications through KC or St. Louis, we can do this in two pretty easy legs, with the first one being the majority of the driving. But, with at least 2 drivers in each vehicle, you can break that off into alternating between re-fuels which will put you right around 4 hours @ each switch out.

I put in an average of 25 MPG for highway driving, and w/ 1089 miles to Indy from my house, that puts it at approx. 43.5 gallons of gas each way. Which using a generous estimate of $2/gallon, puts us at $87 each way. Now, based on previous experiences, I would bump that by $20, to account for head/cross winds, plus construction delays.

As far as motels go, I plan on using my typical guidelines... As soon as I start feeling like the road is talking to me, I start looking for the $20-30/night sign and stop for the night. For those really wishing to save money, you can double up in rooms, but I will most likely be going solo in this section of the endeavor. Not that I mind you people that much, but I know what one Birrer sounds like at night, and from the tales of the great camping trip of 03, I think I'll wait until I can separate myself from them with a wall. ;)

Also, I think I may have solved a large portion of the luggage transportation dilema, but I'm still waiting on total confirmation. However, most likely I will be taking the big green monster, with which so many have become fond of washboard roads and pine cones ;) It also gives me room for another passenger, but I think a certain Bantha has already laid claim to that space.

5. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Good deal. Thanx for the updates, Zoo!

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Almost my exact calculations to a T, Zoo. Great work. :D

If anyone is still interested, it looks like I may have one seat in my car yet to be claimed.

7. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    And with at least 2 people in a car... It's ton's cheaper than flying :D

8. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Grimb, I may take you up on that. I'll know by the 2nd week of February regarding my finalized travel plans.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Cool. Just PM me when you find out either way.

10. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Roger Roger.

11. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Yu kno, ZOO, yur GREEN MONSTER would look great with a plywood DROID TROOP TRANSPORT body on it....FLOL!!!!

12. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, NO!

13. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Here's a re-post of all the things covered so far:

Okay... It might be down to a few people driving again, so I was hoping to get a better idea of numbers for this part of the C3 planning. :)

I know that I will be driving out, and I know that the Brothers Birrer will be joining me. My nephew will be flying (I'm not letting him get away w/ missing that much school [face_not_talking] ). And after a conversation w/ a certain dark Gungan, I know that he will be in another car. So, as far as confirmations, I have 2 cars and 5 people. I'll start a running list here, and if you are taking this option we need to know.

The other issue at hand is the trailer. I am not in a position to be able to rent one of these, so if anyone is thinking they want their costumes transported, then they need to step up and get this one worked out. I will have just enough room in my car for 2 barabel tails, and the rest of our gear. That's it! So, if you want me hauling a ton more stuff across the country, then there will need to be some work done. I can figure out how much drain it will put on my gas mileage, and that's all those needing stuff transported will have to chip in, but that HAS to be taken into consideration as well.

The current plan of action for the drive out is going to be a two day venture; leaving early on Tuesday and getting through Kansas in the first day (trust me, it's the ONLY way that drive makes sense - and who wants two days in Kansas :p ). Spend the night in Missouri and then leave first thing Wednesday to get into Indy prior to the dinner hour (hopefully before rush hour even) and then joining the group for an "OMG WE'RE AT C3!/BIRTHDAY/CON PARTY BLOW-OUT."

Transportation Orders
    Speeder 1*
    ZOO
    Birrers
    Cargo Manifest = Full

Speeder 2*
    darth-jar
    Bone
    Cargo Manifest = Full

*We'll have to think of a better name for the vehicles as we get closer to the event

Okay, I have the route all planned out, and it ain't pretty, but it's not like we won't have visions of Clonetroopers Dancing in our heads for the trip out there... And that stuporous look of SW Overload for the return trip to distract us from the complete lack of landscape ;)

We'll probably pull a *somewhat* hard day's drive on the 19th, just to make sure we hit Indy early enough to avoid any hassles w/ Check-In at the hotel (no overbook troubles for this ZOO ;) )

The only thing that has not yet been decided is the issue of whether or not there will be a trailer involved for the transport of other's costumes. If this is something someone else wants to take care of, then I will make the appropriate arrangements for toting said trailer.

[hr]

Pricing from U-Haul:

6X12 Trailer (396 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 11'7"X6'X5'5") = $87 (2 days 104 miles)

5X10 Trailer (230 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 9'10"X4'9"X4'7") = $87 (2 days 104 miles)

5X8 Trailer (208 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 8'"X4'8"X5'4") = $50 (2 days 104 miles)

4X8 Trailer (142 cu ft - Inside Dimensions 8'1"X4'1"X4') = $38 (2 days 104 miles)

5X9 Uncovered Ramp Trailer (Inside Dimensions 9'2"X4'9" = $50 (2 days 104 miles)

Now we would have it for 10 days (and anyone whose stuff is being transported must be make arrangement to pick up their stuff on the Tuesday following C3). It will be dropped off on the Wednesday following C3 on my way to work in the morning, and there won't be any exceptions, since I have even less space in my garage than Sith Central (and there will be no Crap in my Garage to get rid of ;) ).

[hr]

I did a low down and dirty plan of the driving route, and if we leave by 7AM on Tuesday, we can be on this side of St. Louis in 12 hours (including re-fuels and other breaks). Which means we can be in downtown Indy well before check-in on Wednesday, even if we start driving again around 10AM.

The way I have it figured it out, we'd be spending the night somewhere in the Danville, MO area.

Now, barring any complications through KC or St. Louis, we can do this in two pretty easy legs, with the first one being t

14. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    Sanity of those in Caravan: Questionable, as always

does that mean i can wear a mask and wave at other cars on the road :D?

please?

15. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Right now as it stands if we can get away with everyones stuff in the 4X8, that's cool by me, I can't see paying 2X's as much for a 5X8 (is that much difference?).

I think that should be plenty of room? but if the Rancor is 5X5X2, then we have to get the bigger one, and that doubles the cost????

16. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    How dis-assemble-able will the Rancor be?

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Not sounding like very [face_worried]

18. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    So Zoo, do I have a confirmed spot in your vehicle?
    Please,please,please,please,please!!!!!

19. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    You are confirmed :D

20. Zeiken

Zeiken Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    Hey all- i nknow your all well into planning of transportation to c3, and i dont want to complicate things, but im here in boulder with three other guys looking for a ride to c3. We are more that willing to pay for gas, and more than willing to drive if need be. We were hoping that someone would just be able to get a big van- hit the road maybe tuesday night, or friggin early on wednesday. Also- we are pretty flexible on this- so if anyone can help, i'd greatly appreciate it.

-Dave

21. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Airfare right now is really reasonable...if you are looking to save time. just a thought.

22. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry, our part of the caravan is leaving Tuesday morning :( But you might want to check w/ tman, since I think he was planning to leave later on.

23. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    The one person that had a van is now flying, to rent a van I think that could get pricey, IMO.
    So to get 4 other people into someone elses car at this point won't happen. If you have your own car, the caravan will be on it's way Tuesday AM.

24. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I can't imagine anyone waiting until Wednesday to leave....ugghhh....that's one heckuva haul for a Con that starts on Thursday.

25. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    see...after thinking about it...i just didn't want to be tired after driving for two days. not that road trips aren't great. but it is the drive back that i was thinking about.

ESPECIALLY with Starfest that next weekend. it will be nice to get home and really REST for three days then be back at it again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.