main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conan the Barbarian

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Lobot_Omy, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I love this movie so much. So many good things came together on this one. Good script writing, good directing, decent acting, great score, and of course Arnold.

Arnold is absolutely perfect for this role. He may have a bad accent and isn't very good at acting, but he basically is Conan both in physique and character. Conan's character is really well done too. He's not just an untouchable superhero. He's human, he makes mistakes, he takes hits, and he loses. But because of his strong will he doesn't give up and continues fighting.

I love the revenge story. How Conan started out as a mere slave, but driven by his will overcame all obstacles. The friendship and love theme that were worked into it were done really well, too.

Thulsa Doom is probably one of the best movie villains IMO. I love how JEJ made him ruthless, yet benevolent. And his ability to control the wills of others reminds me of Sauron and the ring. But ultimately he makes a mistake and thinks that he can control Conan just like he was able to bend the will of all his followers and his enemies without realizing how strong the will for revenge is in Conan.

You can tell, while watching this movie, how much care went into it. It's really too bad the sequel Conan the Destroyer was botched up and that the whole series ended with it. John Millius wanted to make a third movie, but it looks like that won't be happening. :(

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I saw this movie a long time ago.

~PK~

3. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    You should watch it again. I watch it more than Star Wars or LOTR now. It gives me motivation to go to the gym. :)

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    This definitely outweighs the ...sequel Conan the Destroyer. Artistically graphic and a great exploration of a hero's journey.

I love how it come full circle. Anakin (Jake Lloyd)'s father (Schwarzenegger) from Jingle All the Way is facing off againt Thulsa Doom, who is essentially Vader (James Earl Jones).

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Excellent movie. John Millius has said that he still wants to make a third film with Conan as King of Aquilonia. Rumours were out that Arnold would play the role but die early and hand it over to his son possibly played by the Rock.

Neverminding that Robert E Howard's King Conan had no children.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well there was "Con", but I think that was not a RH creation unless there was some notes that Camp and Carter got the name from. I know RH had an outlined story arc for Conan's life.

Off the cuff bits of info:

Arnold lost about 15 pounds for the role, down to 220lbs, because he said he had an easier time swinging the swords around and riding the horses and such.

The actress who played Valeria almost lost her thumb while blocking a sword cut.

Thulsa Doom was actually a villain for the charcater King Kull.

The sequal is not nearly as good, it's kind of fun to watch though. Still, the first film is Conan, the second is Arnold in a Conan holloween costume.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They made a Kull movie with Kevin Sorbo, IIRC. And there's also Red Sonya with "Not Conan but Conan" ;)

original film though is fantastic- I've yet to see a hero introduction as perfect as the Wheel of Pain.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The thing that worried me after having seen the Kull flick (Sorbo as Hercules but not Hercules) was that one of the writers said it was originally supposed to be Conan 3 but Arnold was not available. If a third Conan film is not doen like the first then forget it.

Red Sonya was a riot. Horrible, but silly fun kinda, sorta, in a way. Arnold once commented that after him and his wife saw it she made the comment that it's good that it bombed at the box office because that means no one saw how bad it was. Lol.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I love the score by Basil Poledouris and Thulsa Doom rocks.

10. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    I think the wheel was great as well. A lot of people who read RH's stories didn't like it and said it was a cheap way of skipping Conan's childhood. But the way they showed less and less people at the wheel until Conan is the only one pushing it showed how motivated he was. The part where Arnold is revealed as Conan is classic IMO and Basil's score at that point really adds to the moment.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the Wheel of Pain too. I always wondered if I could set up one in my backyard and get big from it. :p

This is one of the most quotable films ever.

"Conan, what is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women."

"They shall all drown in lakes of blood. Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night." :cool:

"What good is a sword compared to the hand that wields it? look at the strength of your body, the desire in your heart. I gave these to you. Such a waste. Contemplate this on the Tree of Wo. Crucify him."

12. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    Hehe, from what I now know of muscle building simply pushing the wheel would probably only build your legs, your shoulders, and lower back. Plus because you're constantly turning, one side of your body would be better developed and you'd have a tendency to turn left. [face_laugh]

"Crom, I never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought or why we died. No. All that matters is two stood against many. That is important. Valor pleases you, Crom. So grant me one request, grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!"

13. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Best quote of the entire more. You kill Ah-Nold's love and you might be missing a head. The last act is incredible and bloody.

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    It's a good movie, not too much a fan of Arnold but the story works well.

15. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I highly recommend listening to the Director's Commentary with Millius and Arnold bantering back and forth. Hi-larious.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not listened to the commentary yet, but I know of one Arnold quote during it: "i get laid alot in this movie." LOL.

17. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    "Let me tell you of the days of high adventure"

One of my favorites..it's comfortably in the top 10, after all these years. This is still how an old school Sword/fantasy movie is supposed to be. Like John Williams made you think....Superman, Basil Poledouris...makes you think Conan. One of the best scores out there.

18. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    The DVD I have doesn't have the commentaries. :(

19. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    When the Commentary opens up Arnold introduces himself as Director John Milius, then laughs and says if you believe that, then you believe Richard Simmons has a lot of illegitimate children running around... or something to that effect.

Classic.

20. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    Haha, Arnold is the man.

21. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    I have never actually seen this movie... BUT I have seen the movie UHF with the parody skit "Conan the Librarian" which is absolutely hilarious.

22. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I was always struck by how well feed Conan was as a slave.

23. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Well you can't very well be expected to push the Wheel of Pain day in and day out on an empty stomach now can you? [face_mischief]

Funny, I'm pretty well versed in Howard's work and don't recall his being raised a slave. Howard's Conan would never have cowtowed to any master. Death would be better than a life of subservience.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No, Conan in RH's work was never a slave, but the Wheel of Pain worked for me.

[image=http://frazetta.ragnarok.no/images/frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg]

Frazetta probably did as much for Conan as Howard did. :cool:

25. Lobot_Omy

Jul 9, 2001
    Yeah, you wouldn't want your only slave to die. Who knows when another shipment of slaves would come in.

Does anyone actually know what the Riddle of Steel is? Thulsa Doom talked about it, but what he said isn't really a riddle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.