main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conan the Barbarian

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Lobot_Omy, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think so. Most of the projects went belly up. However, it could just be that the film was trapped in pre-production hell for so long.

Listening to Milius on the commentary, I can't help but fell sad that neither his grand plans for a James Bond type franchise nor a trilogy in which installment explored a different theme as Conan developed never materialised. Destroyer kind of sank everything.

Anyone reading the Dark Horse series? Excellent stuff, with Kurt Busiek writing and Cary Nord penciling.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The one other thing about Destroyer is that they were trying for a PG rating to try and appeal to a wider audience. It was not quite a failure at the box office but did far less than Barbarian. Both films made money since both did well over seas.

The folks who made the horrible Kull with Kevin Sorbo had the rights to do Conan 3, but Arnold turned it down by that time.

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    There needed to be more nudity in Kull the Conqueror. ;)

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Especially with Tia Carrere. Shame on them for missing the opportunity.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Conan's a BP winner next to Kull. I mean with the air guitar going and everything else. Conan's a masterpiece for its genre.

6. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I feel exactly the same way. You can tell that not much care went into Destroyer. Another example of studio execs wanting to make money off a franchise and destroying the potential of a good series.

7. Stained-Blade

Stained-Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    Fresh Conan Movie Rumors Get em here:
    http://360.yahoo.com/itazura94043

Howard's central theme of the power of the free barbarian versus the corrupting influence of civilization had not really been tapped into fully in the two previous Conan movies. I am hoping that any new Conan films develop this properly.

8. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    Wow! I just stumbled into this thread and am thrilled to find like minded individuals. I love this movie to bits! It's in my top ten of all time films. My brother and I quote this film endlessly, I watch it almost once a month at least and listen to the outstanding soundtrack in the car quite a bit.

There are many things to like about this movie, for me, a big one is the way the Conan/Subotai friendship is portrayed. Conan frees him, they sit down and eat, trade religious philosophies, and then they start to run together. There's just something about that scene where they run that I enjoy (apart from the music that accompanies it). And then I love the bit where the same music plays as Subotai runs over the hill and Conan sees him in his delirious state, as he's hanging there from the Tree of Woe, and Conan begins to laugh hysterically.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    After T3, I wasn't sure Schwarzenegger could reprise Conan. It's going to be like 25 years since the last one. Maybe it'll be more of an aged Conan, who has a protege and the protege saves Conan continuing the series.

10. Stained-Blade

Nov 16, 2005
    Do you want to live forever?!

11. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    In Howard's stories, Conan ran the gambit of being a young theif, a middle-aged general, and older King. There's no reason Arnold couldn't pull off playing Conan as King of Aquilonia. And he doesn't need some young whelp to protect him. Conan was a deadly foe no matter his age.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Though RPG references might not be canoncial, any RPG game that has given stats to Conan make it quite clear that Conan is at the height of his abilities well into his 40's and shows no sign of slowing down; I thought this was shown rather well in the novels as well.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    There would actually be a poetic irony if Arnold played the usurper king of Aquilonia when he's done being the Gov.. He's the perfect age and his Hollywood expierence has some symbolic parrallels to Conans life - his unconventionlness, the way people underestimated his intelligence just because he was a body builder, and ultimately the way he did everything exactly the way he wanted to.

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    In story fashion, I guess it could work since it'd be a strong tie to the Howard adaptation. My thing is when they do the movie, they need to do a prologue. Where has Conan been the last 25 years. It's obvious they can't turn back time and make Arnold look like he's in 1986. What has Conan done since bringing peace to Shadazar.

15. Stained-Blade

Nov 16, 2005
    Showing Arnold in the original novel Hour of the Dragon, and calling it Conan the Conqueror, would please the maximum number of fans. It would resurrect Arnold from the old movies, and use straight from the tap REH for the Howard fans. Everyone would have their own origin stories.

The only other way would be to have each short story as an episode on the SciFi channel with some unknown actor and start fresh.

16. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I'd take that, but only if they were really Howard Stories. Didn't they do a Conan TV series in the same vein as Hercules The Legendary Journeys? I never even bothered with that one.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I watched a few of those Conan TV episodes. I forget the actors name, he was the HUGE guy in Gladiator with Crowe, the one that taste tested his food and acted like it was poisoned. It was kinda watchable, but there is a reason it's not on anymore, it was low quality and not really good Conan stuff at least as far as the few episodes I saw.

18. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Ralph Moeller ( sp? )

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That's him, Ralph Moeller. I read in an interview that he is 6' 4 1/2" and has weighed between 250 and 290 pounds.

[image=http://www.port.hu/picture/instance_2/65279_2.jpg]

Howard never gave a height and weight for Conan to my knowledge. Arnold was 6'2" and weight 220lbs for Conan, I remember the GURPS Conan Worldbook placed Conan at 6'3" and 200 lbs.

20. Stained-Blade

Nov 16, 2005
    There's a picture going around with Arnold standing next to Moeller. What a tiny little oak you are - Ralph looks huge!

21. Stained-Blade

Nov 16, 2005
    He seems to have gained weight, lol.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm pretty sure he was in Gladiator as the Germanic slave with Russell Crowe when they were in Rome. Look's a lot younger too.

Also to note from Gladiator, Sven-Ole Thorsen (Tigris of Gaul) played in both Barbarian and Destroyer as Throgrim and Togra respectively.

23. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    [image=http://www.nonsolomartelli.net/Images3/Film%20Fantasy/ConanMDG/Thorgrim.gif]

Thorgrim is beside himself with grief. He raised that snake from the time it was born.

I love his mannerisms. How he just looks at his hammer when he knocks down that column.

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    So that's Thogrim. Okay. It was hard to make the connection between Tigris of Gaul from 2000 and Thogrim from 82. Does anyone have pics of Troga from Destroyer to bridge the gap.

25. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I love the commentary from the Conan the Barbarian DVD. Everytime he appeared on screen Arnold would cry out SVEN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.