main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conan the Barbarian

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Lobot_Omy, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I've never listened to the Conan commentary. That's pretty cool. Arnold yelling Sven when he was on screen. I have had the opportunity to watch Conan Unchained.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So the film is on HBO right now and I'm watching it and a couple of things occur to me that had not before despite my many viewings.

In the beginning Conan's father tells him about the riddle of steel, ending by pointing to the sword and telling him it was the only thing he could trust. Thusla Doom later tells Conan "What good is the hand compared to the hand that wields it?" meaning that the human drive or soul is the real weapon. Inadvertantly, Conan's father has already told him that the only thing he can trust is himself when he points at the sword.
    Also, this very idea is what saves Conan at the end. Thusla Doom tries to hypnotize Conan, luring him under his influence. Conan is not simply snapping out of it when he shakes his head and kills him. He takes both lessons, the Riddle as told to him by Doom and more importantly by his father that the only one he can trust is himself. So Conan remembers this and is able to resist Thulsa Doom for Conan knows he cannot trust him, he can only trust himself. That is why he could resist Thusla Doom at the end.

3. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    Yeah that's a good observation. I've had a similar observation about the sword. His father tells him that the sword is the only thing he can trust, but then that same sword was used to kill his mother. In the end though the sword breaks when Rexnor uses it to fight Conan, in effect redeaming itself. Although once again it betrayed Rexnor that time. So the lesson is you can't trust swords. :p

edit: Again going back to the riddle, that will is more important than steel.

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

" Look at the strength of your body - the desire in your heart. I GAVE THIS TO YOU! Contemplate this on the Tree of Wo. Crucify him! "

* shivers uncontrollably *

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have experienced the Tree Of Wo...sorta.

I was in the Navy in the early 1990's. And as you have seen on a news report here and there, forms of hazing do take place. So, one year my birthday rolled around a friend of mine ratted me out. I say that because I certainly did not want anyone to know it was my birthday. And the reason was beacuse of the Table Of Wo. This was the table in our berthing area where you were held down while the 32 members of our division gave you a "Pink Belly". This is where each person open-hand slaps you on your stomach. Now you'd think maybe the first few hits would be ok and it would get painful as you went. NO! The first one hurts and it gets worse from there.
    I did get my revenge of course. When my friends birthday came around I made sure it was common knowledge. Given his loud-mouth sort of attitude it was gonna be a massacre. I claimed first and last hits. The latter being a jump from a chair to get some extra momentum.
    Beware the Table Of Wo.

6. Stained-Blade

Stained-Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    It seems that Milius had his own themes in mind before he picked up the Conan material.

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    True enough, but the scene on the Tree of Woe (including Conan crushing the throat of a vulture with his teeth) were all part of Howard's writing. Speaking of which, I am just about finished with Red Nails and am really looking forward to the forthcoming animated version.

8. Stained-Blade

Stained-Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    Right on. By the way that's http://www.conanrednails.com

Many bits and pieces of Howard's stories were used in Ctb and CtD in a sort of Hyborian cole slaw, including a couple of elements from the Kull stories. Valeria is from Red Nails, but the coming back from the dead is from Queen of the Black Coast, and oh that would be Belit. It's actually a fun train-spotting game to see which parts were lifted out of the originals. Everything, but the plot, it seems. :)

9. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I love Conan the Barbarian.

It's one of the great pulp-fantasy films ever made. Arnold is great and James Earl Jones is a great villain. Its also got a hilarious dvd commentary from Arnold:

Director John Milius
    : (attempting to be deep and pretentious) "The sword and steel is symbolic of power", "It symbolizes a man's thirst for conquest".

Arnold
    : "Yah, I get laid a lot in dis movie and I really enjoyed punching ze camel!"

Another hilarious Arnold line:

"This is John Milius and if you believe that then there are Richard Simmons Jr.'s running around!"

And yes, its a shame Conan the Destroyer was utter crap. Though the one scene that was great was in the ice tower when Conan fights the demon lord (played by Pat Roach of Indy fame). Then Conan defeats the demon through breaking the mirrors.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The great Mako passed away this weekend :_|. We are truely robbed of ever seeing a King Conan film to it's fullest potential now, alas. May he RIP.

Everyone go punch a camel in his honor. [face_beatup]

11. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    That really sucks.

12. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Conan won't be the same without him. :(

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Rest in peace Mako.
    @};-

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm watching T2 right now, and i have a habit of looking up movies on IMDB or Wiki when I watch them. This lead through other links which lead to a quote of Arnold lamenting the PG rating that was being sought for Conan The Destroyer.

[From an interview expressing concern over making Conan less brutal in its sequel]: "I think it's a mistake. I know Sylvester Stallone made an extra $20 million because he got a PG rating for Rocky III, but its a matter of how much you want to stay within the character's reality. Can you slaughter people and never see blood? Is it possible? You must have battles. That's part of life, war, and the world of Conan."

So Arnold had the right idea as some of us have mentioned.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Basil Poledouris, one of the greatest film composers ever, has passed away. I thought it only appropriate to bump the thread of the film whose score is arguably his greatest work.

@};-

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I listen to a few tracks of the soundtrack everytime i'm in the gym. R.I.P. Basil.

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Has anyone heard anything about the planned animated film of Robert E Howard's Conan story Red Nails?

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Last I heard it would be released this year. I'll probably watch it but I'm not all that excited about it.

19. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I've not heard about the animated story. I have seen screen shots from the Conan MMORPG. Looks pretty nice.

20. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I really want to know why this movie is not on Netflix. [face_frustrated]

Oh and love this movie. One of my all time favorite childhood era movies.

21. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I busted out the movie score for this film last night after I saw both Mako's and Basil's images during the memorium presentation at the Oscars.

[face_peace]@};-
    LN

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I was just watching Conan the Destroyer on HBO and decided to look up some Wiki info which had a couple of links I had not seen.

Conancompletist looks good and has a gallery section which also features one of the orgy girls who was also a Playboy playmate. Yes, warning: nudity.
    There is also a huge section detailing the deleted scenes. (Conan is in a pit fight with a female, Valeria in a pit fight).

Barbarian Keep appears to be a long article talking about production and such. I have not read it through yet.

I have added a Frazzetta painting as a pic in my profile.

23. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm so glad they used the Riddle of Steel theme for Gladiator trailer. It's just inspirational.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.