main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Concern over Carrie's voice

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Wally44, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Anyone concerned she sounds like she's smoked two packs of Lucky Strikes every day since ROTJ? She had a great voice in the CT and I want to remember her for that "HAN!" yell....not for sounding like Marge's sisters from The Simpsons.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  3. Wally44

Mar 10, 2005
    Haha yes really. I'm trying to think of something to talk about in here while we wait for trailer goodness!

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think she sounds fine. Hamill's voice has changed alot too (and he's also a smoker).

5. elgarlic

elgarlic Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2014
    This is a slight concern of mine as well (and I'm not generally someone who looks for things about TFA to worry about). Leia's voice in the OT really represented her personality well. While we know how she sounds in interviews these days, we don't know what she can muster together on set while she's acting. On top of that, they can work with the audio in post if they feel the need. I think it should turn out okay.

Mark's voice has changed as well. But he's also a skilled and experienced voice actor.

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Nope, I've heard her talk plenty (including in person) and she sounds fine, older sure, but otherwise fine.

7. queenofhollywood

queenofhollywood Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2015
    I think she sounds different. It doesn't bother me at all, but she does sound a bit different. Watching older interviews, she seemed more shy and reserved. Now she's more out there. You know how when you're excited your voice gets more high pitched? Maybe it's like that. I'm actually watching Wishful Drinking as I skillfully avoid working ( :D) and she sounds great.

Wally44 likes this.
  8. Wally44

Mar 10, 2005

That's good to hear! I have only seen a couple of interviews and the SD Comic Con panel so I was a bit worried she would sound terrible in the film. I really wasn't worried much about Mark, but it's surprising to learn he's a smoker as well.

9. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    They all sound different. Even Harrison, who isn't as much "smooth" anymore as he is a gruff old man. But the characters themselves have aged too. So I see it working out just fine.

10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the characters are thirty-something years older. Of course they're going to sound different.
    I'm just incredibly happy that we're gonna see (and hear ;) ) them again!

11. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015
    I've been examining her voice closely now. Yeah, I know, everyone, feel free to judge me. I was gonna post all these videos here, but I was afraid it would look too visually annoying. I'll just share my oh, so scientific findings instead.

Up to 1995, she still sounded the same. Less shy, but the voice was still the same. On a Graham Norton interview from 1999, her voice was still similar, but more nasaly. From then on, you can hear it getting more nasaly all the way to this year. I still think she sounds good, but like we've discussed, definitely different.

12. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I'm worried Chewie's voice has changed. I heard he did crack after the Battle of Endor and it may be hard for us to understand him talking

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

[face_laugh] Marge's sisters!!!!! – that is a hilarious comparison [face_laugh]

That being said, although there is some evidence of having smoked over the decades, I don't think it will be too disruptive...

I was also wondering how Harrison's voice would sound. It almost seems like he only has one "voice setting" these days, the gruffy growl. Hopefully he doesn't spend the whole of TFA sounding like he has a bunch of crap in his throat the whole time...

[face_laugh] HAHA OMG this thread content is soooooo petty and nitpicky!!

14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh my god, people. Carrie aged; Leia aged too. In fact, she's probably had a harder life than Carrie has.

I'm looking forward to hearing the years in her voice.

15. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015

I'm not sure about that... Carrie has had a pretty wild life. Not "my biological daddy blew up my planet with all my family, friends and hair products in it" wild, but wild nonetheless.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  16. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    There are a ton of tools at the audio engineer's disposal to totally change any voice to whatever they want.

They could make it match the old Leia if they really wanted to. It's not that hard to do if you know your way around a sound studio.

EDIT: They can also just have someone else dub the voice.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Or just use Carrie's voice, since it's - you know - Carrie's voice.

18. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015
    This!

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Carrie Fisher is a still working actor; she didn't stop working in 1983. She shifts her voice as needed by the project. How she sounds in interviewers where she's closer to her real self isn't indicative of how she'll alter her cadence and tone for Princess Leia.

Will she sound different? Of course, as all people do when they age. Hell Leia sounds different in ROTJ than she does in ANH. But she will sound like Leia since Leia is a fictional character that Carrie plays, not who she is.

20. Wally44

Mar 10, 2005

Glad you like my humor. :) I was just trying to lighten up the mood around the place before the trailer dropped. Mods can feel free to delete this thread if they want.

21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Agreed.

My point is that there are a ton of different ways to change a voice using audio effects (digital or analog) during audio editing.

I have no concerns over the actor's voices. Harrison's old-man gruff, or Carrie's. I would like to hear Mark do some Yoda-ish voice as a joke or go full Joker for a scene. :D

queenofhollywood likes this.
  22. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015
    No! Don't delete a post about Carrie! She wins so hard! I think we should all just go watch Wishful Drinking right now and bask in the glory that is queen Fisher.

jaqen likes this.
  23. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Pretty sure that the last lines in the trailer were her. If I'm right, I think she sounds remarkably like her old self.

24. Wally44

Mar 10, 2005

Definitely was NOT her.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Carrie is going to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaqen and queenofhollywood like this.