main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Confused about Jedi and Seperatist slaughter

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DARTH-SHREDDER, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    I'm confused about the slaughterings. I know he disliked and didn't trust the jedi and didn't like yoda's advice, but he liked them well enought to tell Mace about Palpatine. And he seems to be on OK terms, even thought he doesn't really trust them. Then he thinks they're trying to take over the senate, and bam, he starts to kill them all. My point is he wouldn't kill them like that just because he thought they were trying to take over the senate. You could say his master told him to, but shouldn't he ginuinely angry at them. Like with the tuskan slaughter. I mean if he thought the were trying to take over the senate that would be enough to make him ginuinly that angry.

Also, he wasn't angry at all with the seperatists leaders, so again shouldn't he be ginuinly angry, instead of "Must obey master"?

If there is a thread with the same topic please tell me.

2. xIntoxicationx

xIntoxicationx Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2003
    They kept him from his mother all his life, then she died. They "held him back" all his career.

3. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    You need to watch the movie again, especially the part when Anakin turns to the darkside why hes doing all that

4. ASHalcyon

ASHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    Well I can't speak to all the reasons he slaughtered the Jedi but I think one big reason was because after he had helped the Sith kill Mace, it was apparent that he and Sidious would probably both be killed by the Jedi if they did not act first. He has commited himself to Sidious at this point in hopes of saving
    Padme and had to proceed forward. I think as time went on he attempted to justify his actions by saying things like "they were tring to take over the Senate" even though he knew better.

5. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    the way i see it, no, he shouldn't be angry with them...he's doing these terrible thigs because he wants to find the way to save Padme, which Sidious keeps dangling over his head. If you'll see, everything he does up until the Padme choke/Obi-Wan fight scene, is done grudgingly. He does those things because he feels he has no other choice...it is only after he gets the idea in his head that Padme has turned against him does he start spewing off "Jedi are evil" lines and the such...he's confused..he's been manipulated, and he's 9in a way) being forced to do these things in order to find the cure for Padme...which doesn't really even exist..

6. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    The Jedi would have to take over the senate, at least temporarily, if they killed palpatine. Its not in Anakin,s imagination what was going on. Theoretically the Jedi did commit treason and try to take over the repbulic. If the Jedi didnt tale control of the senate, the republic would be in chaos if there was no one running it

7. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Palpatine told Anakin that once he?s killed the Jedi in the temple and the Separatist leaders on Mustafar only then will he be powerful enough to save Padmè. He didn't kill them because he disliked them, but because he had to in order to save his wife.

8. xIntoxicationx

xIntoxicationx Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2003
    Once he struck mace down, he knew he couldnt go back to the jedi, and he knew he was screwed either way

9. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    He had two reasons. The first was that once he killed Mace it was kill-or-be-killed. The Jedi would be gunning for him. It was a matter of self-preservation. Second, he was led to believe by Palpatine that in order to save Padme he needed to grow stronger in the dark side, and killing the Jedi would make that possible. He did it all for very selfish reasons.

10. MaceWindu_is_GOD

MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    PALPATINE: Because the Council did not trust you, my young apprentice, I believe you are the only Jedi with no knowledge of this plot. When the Jedi learn what has transpired here, they will kill us, along with all the Senators.

ANAKIN: I agree. The Jedi's next move will be against the Senate.

PALPATINE: Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic. You understand that, don't you?

ANAKIN: I understand, Master.

PALPATINE: We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless; if they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end. First, I want you to go to the Jedi Temple. We will catch them off balance. Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the dark side to save Padme.

As for the Separatists, they were behind the War and assisnation of his wife. So that will piss him off.

I really think that Palpatine also lied about how deep his connections with Dooku and the Separatists to Anakin.

Either Anakin was soo blinded at that point that he did not care anymore or he failed to see it.

11. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    Anakin had to kill, it didnt matter who, to gain more power to save Padme

12. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    It's all for Padme, as he says: "I'm doing this for you."

13. DarkLordOfTheSithIAm

DarkLordOfTheSithIAm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Thats just the way Lucas wrote it so there would be a movie!

14. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Does Anakin ever realize that Palps was behind the war? He has to have suspicions that Palps knows they exact location of the seperatist leaders.

15. Superdave

Superdave Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2005
    Anakin had been the "rope" in the tug of war between the Jedi Council and Palpatine. He had been pulled both ways time and time again. Most of his loyalty to Palpatine was simply due to the fact that he was the Chancellor and because of his "concern" for Anakin. Only when Palpatine revealed himself as the Sith Lord did Anakin suspect anything about him. Only problem then was the concern about Padme.
    During the duel between Mace and Palpatine, Anakin was faced with a decision that had to be made instantly. Once the decision was made, his fate was sealed.
    I think that once this was done, Anakin did not want to think. He was a weapon to be used by Palpatine. Only when he fought Obiwan did his feelings get the best of him, and that is why he lost. He only showed the hatred when he thought Padme had betrayed him and brought Obiwan to confront him.

16. MaceWindu_is_GOD

May 26, 2005
    Does Anakin ever realize that Palps was behind the war? He has to have suspicions that Palps knows they exact location of the seperatist leaders.

I really think that Palpatine also lied about how deep his connections with Dooku and the Separatists to Anakin.

Either Anakin was soo blinded at that point that he did not care anymore or he failed to see it.

17. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    So then if killing the Jedi and the seperatists was all for Padme and self-preservation, then what was the point of Anakin disliking the council and "We don't grant you the rank of master"? If it's not why he actually killed the jedi.

18. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    I think Anakin is confused, when he talks to Padme at the end he calls the Emperor Chancellor still, clearly after he made himself Emperor already.

19. MaceWindu_is_GOD

May 26, 2005
    It's not all about Padme.

Padme was a major part.

but the other reason was Palpatine showed him that the Jedi were evil and were plotting to take over the Republic.

ANAKIN: I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over . . .

OBI-WAN: From the Sith!!! Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

ANAKIN: From the Jedi point of view! From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

OBI-WAN: Well, then you are lost!

20. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I'm with ASHalycon. Anakin committed himself. He had to move forward because of the power he wanted to save Padme. Palpatine specifically told him that killing the Jedi would help him gain the strength in the Darkside to do it. So he believed killing the Separatist leaders would also help him.

Anakin just simply lied to justify the act to Padme and to himself. He knew darn well the Jedi didn't go to Palpatine's office to take over the Republic.

Palpatine tripped himself up though. First he told Anakin that the Jedi would hunt them both down. But then he ALSO said that because the Jedi didn't trust Anakin, no one outside of Anakin knew what had happened and for what reason there in the office.

No one but Sidious knew Anakin helped cut down Mace. It was a perfect blackmail scheme for Anakin, but he was too dim to pick up on it and then killed the only ace up his sleeve - the Jedi.

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think some of you here have seen the film in question. The main point that George Lucas was trying to get across was that the DARK SIDE is exceedingly powerful. It can warp even the most good hearted mind.

Okay, so Anakin had an anger problem, and his almost psychotic refusal to let go of things was quite concerning for all who cared about him, but all in all he was a good, kind hearted person.

When he started to have visions of Padme dying in childbirth, he got desperate. His blunt refusal to let go of things came into play. He started to sweat and he started to panic. Then Palpatine, knowing that all this is going through his mind, comes up with this idea that only through the power of the dark side can you possess the ability to cheat death.

When he witnessed Mace Windu attempting to kill Palpatine, the only thing that was going through his mind was Padme. If Palpatine would have died all hope of saving her would have gone down the drain, in Anakin's mind at least. The moment he aided Palpatine in killing Mace Windu Anakin was no longer Anakin, he was Darth Vader. He ventured down the dark path and it swallowed him up.

The jedi slaughter started out, I believe, as a labour of love. He thought he was saving his wife. But unbeknownst to Anakin, with every Jedi he struck down he was falling deeper and deeper into the pit.

The Separatist slaughter, the same. Only by that time he has fallen much deeper, hence the yellow eyes in that sequence.

Then after that scene he was seen crying whilst looking at the lava fall (very moving image). I think what that was meant to show was that Anakin knew what he was doing was wrong, but the dark side is so powerful that no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't stop.

22. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I agree with previous posts that Anakin isn't really charged up when it comes to slaughtering the Jedi or the Separatists. He's simply doing what he has to do to fulfill his contract with Palpatine: serve me and I'll tell you how to save your family. While there may be some lingering dark feelings running arround his head (the Jedi were liars and hypocrites, the Separatists tried to kill me and Padme), he's more like a mob button man: nothing personal, it's strictly business.

When Padme arrives on Mustafar, though, you can see Anakin has changed. His enemies are dead, Palpatine trusts him, Padme is safe, the war is over. He must figure he has it all and nothing can stop his rise to the top. It's at that point we can see from his face that he really likes the power the Dark Side brings him. And when Padme suggests otherwise, it's like she's trying to stop him from getting his Dark Side fix. So, he gets angry and paranoid.

23. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    He kills the jedi because he's twisted, between mistrust and need to save padme, he kills the seperatists because by this point he buys sidious' idea of gaining more power and the seperatists were the bad guys to begin with, so if he could kill the jedi why not the seperatists, it's all very much like a growing cancer, now the need for power has him. He's addicted and twisted. But he cries afterward, so he's unsure but he can't turn back, gone too far. He's hooked and after the duel he's got nothing left.

24. Lixsta

May 21, 2005
    Anakin kills the Jedi because the Jedi will come after him and Palpatine if they dont

Anakin Kills the separatists to end the War, which was always his goal

Plus he gains more power by doing all of this

25. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    There is more dialogue in the book when Obi-Wan finds out that Anakin has turned from seeing the hologram.Sidious says "Can you feel your power growing?" to Anakin who replies "Yes master."
    I'm guessing that the more he kills or uses the dark side after turning the more twisted and more powerful he becomes.Later on at Mustafar he says to Padme that he is becoming more powerful than any jedi has ever has ever been.Something has clearly changed in him and Padme finally sees this that he really has been consumed by the dark side like Obi-wan said.You can see it in his eyes.I think he hasn't fully turned evil until he starts choking Padme.Before that happens it's more about getting more of the dark side power he thinks will help him save Padme.But he clearly underestimates the way it changes someone after you start using it.When he really let's go and gives in to the dark side there is no way he can stop anymore after that.Once you start the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.