main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Content Management Systems - What Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by DVeditor, Jun 17, 2010.

?

Content Management Systems - What Do You Use?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2010.
  1. Wordpress

50.0%
  2. Joomla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Drupal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Proprietary Software

25.0%
  5. Other

25.0%
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    There are lots of great ways to manage content - with the days of hard-coded pages in the history books, what do you use to wrangle your information?

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I personally use Wordpress for everything I can. I've used a lot of tools over the years, but Wordpress is the only one I can shape and mold to match any need I throw at it. It's fast, easy to use, and incredibly powerful (especially with the version 3.0 updates!)

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Years ago, Drupal was the first CMS I ever tried using. It was too complicated for me at the time and I never did much with it. We've been using Joomla for our FanForce site for several years now, and I give it a thumbs up. Never tried Wordpress however.

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I use ModX. I love the way the templates are done - basic XHTML/CSS with all the CMS magic done through simple shortcode elements.

I also use Wordpress for some of my sites, but I wouldn't call that a Content Management System, I'd call it a blog system, that can be turned into a CMS.

Recently, I've been developing my own, however, but I still need to get a better hang of MySQL to make it really work. Its feature set will be very minimal, with emphasis being compact and customizable. It won't have a full featured WYSIWYG, but rather implement a BBCode Parser that I have already developed in PHP using the preg_replace function. Right now the thing is simply a templating system, which essentially means that its a set of classes and functions in PHP to make manual editing of the website easier. Although you still have to edit the content with your editor in HTML and upload it, all you have to do once the basic layout is made is to make the content that goes in the content area of each page, as separate files that get included in the whole thing.

5. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I recently got a job at my university as a web developer and we are moving all the sites to drupal. Haven't had much experience in it yet, considering I just started.

6. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I've used Wordpress, but I really should be learning Drupal. It's seems like most of the places where I've been applying for internship are using Drupal.