main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity with the special effects = NONE!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean either.

Obviously.

You know, I was trying to be nice.

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I don't recall any such powerful moments.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge them doesn't mean they don't exist.

3. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Just because you refuse to acknowledge them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't remember them. Recall, remember... confused? Me saying that, by the way, was kind of a hint for you to gush AOTC a bit, and describe some scenes that had some emotional impact. You're a gusher -- you can gush can't you?

4. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    he didn't gush, he was objective... [face_plain] :D

5. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Yo, Tokyo, look up a few posts. I described some of my favorite moments from the movie. I was hoping that would suffice to refresh your memory. You're a smart boy. I leave it to you to figure out for yourself what it is about those scenes that makes them so great.

6. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Well, that may be the problem. When you create espectations that every Yoda scene in AOTC or TPM has to be as good or better than the scenes with Yoda in TESB, you lose respect for the scenes Yoda are in to begin with. That's not a good way to go about things.

Actually, I think it's fair to say Tokyo's expectations are probably somewhere in between, just as mine are.

While I realize that Yoda in AOTC operates in a much different capacity and that he can't possibly achieve the same level of intimacy as he did in TESB - after all, he was interacting with only one character in all of his scenes - I felt, overall, there were plenty of, albeit more sporatic, opportunities for the character to stretch out with some of that familiar earnestness and grit that we were treated to in TESB.

No, I didn't expect AOTC to stand shoulder to shoulder with TESB as far as Yoda is concerned but it sure could've been better IMO.

7. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    You guys aren't factoring in character developement. Essentially, you want Yoda's character to remain unchanged for the 40 year span over which the story is told. The problem this is, it would really water down Yoda's contribution in The Empire Strikes Back since he wouldn't be a sage made wise by years of hard earned experience but just Yoda.

"Oh, look, it's Yoda. He hasn't changed a bit. I guess this is the part where he will impart all his wisdom to Luke. You know, why didn't he give Obi-Wan all this great advice? It would have saved him a lot of trouble!"

No, I think Yoda's character in Empire will still be a surprise to those who see the saga for the first time in order. I have a feeling that by the end of Episode III, we'll see a beaten Yoda, full of sorrow and regret. He'll sadly make his way to Dagobah to contemplate his failure, sure that nobody can undo his mistakes. He'll be completely absent from A New Hope, and when we see him in Empire, we'll be pleasantly surprised that his years of solitude and meditation have not only healed his soul but given him wisdom and strength far beyond what he had previously. It'll be really cool to see.

8. scruffy-lookin

scruffy-lookin Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2001
    So stop me if I have this wrong, but you're suggesting that it is the intention that we see Yoda, the head of the Jedi council as an arrogant being whose rash decisions help bring about the destruction of the Jedi and the fall of the Republic.

I just wished he'd fought like a master not like a frog in a blender.

9. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Instead of "arrogant" I'd say "aloof" and instead of "rash decisions" I'd say "poor judgement" but, yes, that's pretty much it. At least that's how I see it.

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    What poor judgement do you mean? It's late and I can't really think over every detail in the movies. Give me an example so I can argue against it 8-}

11. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I have a feeling that by the end of Episode III, we'll see a beaten Yoda, full of sorrow and regret. He'll sadly make his way to Dagobah to contemplate his failure, sure that nobody can undo his mistakes"

i hope those arent expectations, durwood. we all know that expectations make you unable to form a valid opinion on the final product, and only set you up for dissappointment, right?

12. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Only if you desperately cling to them and render yourself incapable of accepting and enjoying Lucas' brilliant vision. I don't have this problem. Do you? (Oh, wait, of course you do. Why did I bother asking?)

13. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Yo, Tokyo, look up a few posts. I described some of my favorite moments from the movie.

You just listed some moments and pasted some quotes, but didn't go into detail and say why they were your favorite scenes or why you even liked them. Ha, I could probably write more positively about AOTC than you, and I'm an evil basher overlord! In fact, I have on several occasions "gushed" about the scene in Jango's apartment, going into explicit detail why I liked it so much.

Hmmm... occasionally I lurk in a few of those AOTC "gusher" threads that I never post in, and curiously I can't remember seeing any of your posts in there. Why is this? Selective memory maybe, or...?

14. Sith_Precision

Sith_Precision Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2002
    >i hope those arent expectations, durwood. we all know that expectations make you unable to form a valid opinion on the final product, and only set you up for dissappointment, right?<

Durwood's current expectations mean nothing. If they aren't met, he'll find some desperate, laughable way to convince himself Lucas has the better idea, whether it truly is superior or not. He seems to think the world of Lucas and little of everyone else, including himself. I don't think much of the lad either, so maybe he's on to something.

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    This thread no longer has anything to do with FX and has become a basher/gusher slap fight. Closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.