main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Contradictions before Disney

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master Endz-One, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Before Disney

The prequel contradicts a few main points in its plot.

In these 2 videos claim that only through Sith Knowledge can a life be saved and Darth Bane created the rule of 2.

The KOTOR video game and Old Republic books were considered cannon and had LucasFilms approval to be created. In KOTOR 2, the Jedi had the force power Master Heal, it could heal an injured person and help revive them. Revan was already following a rule of 2 type of system, that continued even after he no longer was Dark Lord.

It doesn't fit was cannon at that time. The prequels disregarded the History of the Old Republic.

If you feel I'm wrong or have any opinion, let me know

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Lucas didn't care about the Expanded Universe, so when he created the Prequels, he pretty much just ignored it all and did whatever he felt like doing.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It's worth mentioning that Palpatine was obviously manipulating Anakin given how he was butting heads with the Jedi Order. As far as the TCW clip is concerned, yeah, that's a problem. That said, you could just solely consider TCW part of the canon continuity which is what I do.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  4. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Yes, that's exactly what he did.
    My issue is, when his company with his name in the company name, sanctions works about StarWars, it shouldn't be disregarded as non existent.

I can't disagree with Palpatine's manipulation tactics. I just didn't see any mention of this power existing, considering Anakin was looking for a way to save Padme.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And what do you think they should have done about that?
    Lucas clearly wasn't going to let someone else get in the way of his own vision, it was his story after all. The people working for him who were overlooking the stories told in the EU couldn't possibly know the future, which would have been needed to decide which details Lucas would work on in the future. There were some items that were off limits, but you can't possibly keep everything in check. Thus it was inevitable that some stuff mentioned in stories would contradict other pieces.

Besides, KOTOR doesn't really have a rule of two in place in the same way that was mentioned elsewhere. There was a main master and apprentice, but clearly lots of other Sith around. Darth Bane is basically the start of the Sith working just in pairs.
    Also, technically you never revived anyone in the two games eiher. There's a difference between being down in a fight and being dead, just like there is a difference between doing some healing and keeping someone who would normally die from dying. The only one who kind of revived himself multiple times was Darth Sion, who couldn't really die, though could pretend that he was dead. However that was supposed to work.

If you want to have a much bigger contradiction, look no further than the timing and nature of the clone wars, or the rise of the Empire. In the early EU those things happened much earlier than in the movies, and didn't seem to be anything like they ended up like in the movies either. Though I don't think anyone was ever allowed to give clear details about that period in the first place, hence the vague references that existed instead.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Master Endz-One and Deliveranze like this.
  6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    One might be forgiven that thought upon watching ANH, since Han had "flown from one side of this galaxy to the other", and yet apparently didn't know about the Jedi and their demonstrated powers...or perhaps he was simply too dismissive of the whole concept.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I guess Chewie never bothered to tell him about his buddy Yoda...

Sith Lord 2015 and MeBeJedi like this.
  8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Fair point! Although technically, what Han said was still true. Hell, even if Chewie told Han, Han just watched Luke block 3 blasts from a remote while blindfolded and was still unimpresssed: "I call it luck"

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    By the time he'd flown from one side of the galaxy to the other, there were no Jedi around. He was about ten by the time the Clone Wars ended, and he'd almost certainly never seen a Jedi in action, only heard about them. And the last thing he'd heard about them was that they were all killed by their clones...using good old-fashioned blasters.

No wonder he'd have such a low opinion of this "Force" which he'd never seen any evidence of firsthand and which apparently couldn't even protect its chief practitioners from extinction at the hands of simple foot soldiers. Add on a couple decades of Imperial propaganda and information suppression and it's not hard to believe Han would hold the views he does.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. Emperor McClane

Emperor McClane Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2019
    I don't see a problem with with Darth Bane in TCW and KOTOR. There is still a Sith army in that game, a Sith school and so on. It even shows in a Mission what bane is talking about, that Sith would kill eachother to gain power due to greed. Rule of 2 is not really in place in that game. For the reviving: Gameplay is not always canon and being down in a fight doesn't mean you are dead. It is more like a typical gameplay mechanic for RPG's than anything else.
    There are other contradictions, which can be bended to fit: Leia remembering her mother, Obi-Wan talking about Meeting Anakin when he was a ace pilot, Yoda Training Obi-Wan and so on.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    None of those are contradictions and can be easily explained:

- Padme has had Force vision of Leia, and mistakes them for “images, feelings”

- Obi-Wan’s line is “when I first knew your father,” not “when I first met your father.” Different connotation, different meaning.

- Yoda instructs the younglings, and therefore trained Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan was a youngling.

Emperor McClane likes this.
  12. Emperor McClane

Emperor McClane Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2019
    Like I said, can be bended. The original Intention was different but with a little bending it fits
    I personally never had a Problem with them, but they are more sticking out than the given examples.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Which was definitely the right way to go about it. Don’t let something like a book hold you back especially because Lucas always said he never cared for the EU

14. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Name was directly inspired by Revan on the old EU to the point that Bane almost hero worshipped Revan, Darth Babe Trilogy of books gives has researching Revan while at the Sith Academy at Korriban

Master Endz-One likes this.