main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Conventions Thread (Now Discussing D23 July 14-16, SDCC July 20-23)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, that panel was a big let-down. I was watching it live-streamed at one of the other stages at Celebration, and I was quite disappointed.

Celebration 2015.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I've done a 180 on my opinion of what will happen now.
    We'll get a TLA trailer in the TLA session, but something Important will happen the the 40 year session. Apart from the coolness of Hayden on stage.

Something Important.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Last Airbender?

Krueger likes this.
  4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Wife and I will be at Celebration. Looking forward to picking up some exclusive PT items, seeing the Rebels and Battlefront 2 sneak peeks. Look forward to seeing what this Obi Wan film is about. Could be the first Disney Star Wars film I see since ROTS in 2005. I hope it's in he right era. I hope Celebration is fun and we don't spend the entire day waiting in lines. Looks cool on the internet though.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait. What? You've not watched TFA or RO?

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    ...? o_O

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    No. He hates/has no interest in anything that's not part of the PT era.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    The thing that's interesting is that the Han film is still scheduled for May. So we got to see something within this year for it. I'd be willing to place money on D23 being a bts reel, and trailer attached to TLJ.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why is there no Celebration next year?

10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Probably because the Han Solo film comes out in May, a scant five months after The Last Jedi is released. It's just cutting it too close.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread title updated.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope we get a teaser for Han Solo. That is all.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Speaking of which, when is Ian McKellen going to join the GFFA?

Baron_Papanerd and Darth Nave like this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    D23 and San Diego Comic Con occur on back to back weekends. With these two events being so close together, maybe put both in the title?

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Done!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well the recent news certainly places a big bright spotlight on the Star Wars portion of D23, especially since that is where it was already expected that something related to the Han Solo will be revealed or talked about.

18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Bit of a long shot but if anyone is going to D23 and if there's a Disney elite series exclusive, I would very gladly pay for someone to pick it up for me/ship it etc and for their trouble

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm not going, but What exclusive fig??

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Apparently we will soon be getting a 3 minute teaser. But since the teaser's editor was fired while cutting it, it stops abruptly at 2:03, before resuming with a completely different style for the last 57 seconds.

21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Seeing that Lucasfilm has hinted that they would announce the third anthology film sometime during the summer, I would assume that the plan was to do it at one of these conventions, however, given the recent upheaval on the Han Solo project, I don't know if their plans have changed. They may want to focus on damage control and on Episode 8, before revealing the next spin-off.

I for one would be totally ok not getting any new Episode 8 trailers and instead get information on the next SW spin-off film, but that's just me.

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Kathleen actually said they'd probably announce the new anthology in June. So I suspect we'll get that a little later at D23. Cannot wait. And hoping against hope that it's an ancient Jedi story of some kind.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It's already been announced that there will be no TLJ presence at SDCC. So it's pretty much guaranteed there won't be anything Han Solo related either.

And I do think now they need to focus more on damage control with the Han Solo debacle than anything. I think it would go a long way to have an open, frank, and honest discussion about what went down and what is being done to maintain the quality of the movie. Address the obvious concerns, introduce Ron Howard to the SW universe, just keep it cool and mellow, and appeal to the audience to trust in what will eventually come of the Han Solo movie.

I really hope KK and company don't come out all heroic in their chariots like they do at every panel they conduct and start spouting reactive phrases to get the audience to cheer and then start claiming that things are better than ever and they are holding strong and this movie will be the best thing since sliced bread and yada yada yada. Unfortunately, however, I can totally see her doing that. I can already hear her voice in my head doing this. Introducing Ron Howard as if she didn't just fire the previous team of directors, stuff like that, just totally ignoring the big elephant in the room. That would just be such an inauthentic showcase if it goes down like that. But I can totally see it happening that way.

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Kathleen has been nothing but warm and professional thus far. And she's shepherded two great films. I trust she knows the best approach.

And wallowing in a production difficulty in front of a ton of fans is not the best idea. Frankly, I'd like to move on. I want to hear and see more about TLJ and get some glimpses of the Han Solo footage. Then I want to hear an announcement for the next Anthology film.

In short, I hope they do the opposite of what you're suggesting.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Or somewhere in between.

KK has indeed been warm and professional thus far. And until now she has had every reason to be the way I described. So that's fine. I'm not opposed to it when it's warranted.

But in the wake of such a monumental muck up, I think it would be disingenuous to come out and act like that didn't just happen, especially knowing how far into production it happened, and say all these great things about it. They don't have to wallow in it, but I think it needs to be addressed frankly and honestly. I think only then will the issue be put to rest. Otherwise, without addressing it like this, it will always be in the back of people's minds until it's released, and probably even after (in much the same way we still talk about RO and what was added/removed/reshot), no matter how much we can claim we've moved on from the news. Then they can say some great things about it and reactive phrases to get the audience cheering and end on a high note. Maybe segue into that by introducing Ron Howard.

Keep In mind this is the second time now this has happened, so although RO turned out to be good, it didn't come without its own major hiccups. And with this kind of thing happening twice now under her watch, again, I think not addressing it and going on about how great things are would be totally disingenuous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.