main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conversational Standards on the Site

Discussion in 'Communications' started by devilinthedetails , Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. I certainly think so. But if you and I think that, Rick, it may mean he's actually a scamp.

Dark Ferus and The Maverick like this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't see why acknowledging @Iron_lord is a good guy and asking him not to make the whole forum a giant display of his nick on a daily basis are mutually exclusive.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @The Maverick "You post a lot, don't you?" can sound friendly, whereas "you turbo post and are virtually unavoidable" sounds like an insult implying that the poster in question is someone to be avoided. So to me they are pretty similar. Both are designed to diminish someone's dignity and make the person feel unwelcome in their present environment.

It is possible for people to have conversations about what the standard of discussion in the JCC should be without resorting to ad hominem attacks, accusing other users of having mental health issues just because they like to post in game threads, and calling other users spammers just because they again like to post in game threads. That has been my only major suggestion all along: that the conversation about the standard of discussion in the JCC should be had in a respectful way and frankly I'm surprised by the amount of resistance I've encountered to the idea. I really don't think it should be as controversial a notion as it has turned out to be.

As for the JCC not being for me, that's fine. I don't really ever post there. However, I do post in Comms, where all this behavior that I am discussing occurred. That is my concern: the behavior I witnessed in the Comms threads.

Anyway, I suppose I've explained my perspective, and it'll be up to the mods to decide what standard they want to have on this site and all the different sections of it.

I had some thoughts I had to express or else my conscience would gnaw away at me, but now I believe my conscience will be satisfied since I've spoken up as clearly as I believe that I can.

Thank you to all who have read and considered my words.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    OK, so another satisfied customer.

Can we end this now?

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hold on, I think I got some drama in here somewhere. I just gotta move this stack of old newspapers and maneuver around this rusty pet kennel.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I want to thank you for moving on from a section of the board you don’t post in. If you ever do decide to post on the JCC, I am sure we will become great friends!

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As someone who did spam a lot. Like a lot a lot. I think the best decision is where we are now. The spammy threads such as free association are now in their own sub forum. That way for the people who don’t like those types of threads it’s easier to ignore them. Now of course I don’t think this is the perfect solution, but it’s better than the previous solution which was keep it the way it was.

Also when it comes to the JCC at large if you spread your wings into enough threads. I know that’s not the right metaphor but whatever. It’s not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Sure it can still be a trash pile but it’s our trash pile

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Looks like the thread has run its course. I have a few last comments.

Having been part of the JCC for many years and having been one of the strongest defenders over those years, I don't think anyone can say I don't get the culture or community. But I will say that it can tend to be insular -- it demands that people adapt to it, rather than the other way around.

That's inevitable for a community as old as this one is, but I'd just want to remind everyone how it looks from the outside in.

If the desire is really to get to know people as people, and that's it -- then consider this my challenge: prove it. Prove that all that folks want is to get to know people as people and not just hound out people who are uncool or don't quite fit in. That'll be my last word for this thread.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.