main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cool Lightsaber building website

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LovelyLotus, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    ::confused::

Are you in the right thread?

2. bookguy232

bookguy232 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2000
    Jarik,
    Are you looking for the spray-on or dip version? If it's the spray version, the rustoleum(sp?) now make a product called "Grip Guard" which seems to be the same thing.

BTW.. where are you in NC? That's my home state.

3. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Yes, Master_Comyn, plastidip is one of the 'main ingredients' of lightsaber #7 from the Big Yellow Box, the cool website of this thread.

bookguy, i'm looking for the dip, cause I want to tint it brown. Do you know if I get a spray can and just spray it in a container if I could tint that, or will it be a funky consistency from the spray can?

I'm at Cherry Point, just south of New Bern. Home state, so, did you escape to civilization? :D

4. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    DOH! I knew that! Uh... really!

5. bookguy232

Aug 6, 2000
    I like NC.. at least parts of it. Anyway, I'm in Charleston SC right now.

As for the tinting.. I really have no idea. Sorry.

6. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    You know, bookguy, you really should update your site with at least that picture you gave us. Let people know that it's not been abandoned.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    For whomever asked, machined sabers range in cost depending on complexity (and rappore with the machinist). My sabers have ranged between $80 and $200, depending mainly on design.

Don't have pictures right this second, but expect some soon if you care for them. :)

M. Scott

8. bookguy232

Aug 6, 2000
    I really do need to update it.. but I don't think I'll post any preview pics there. I'll save those for folks on the message boards ;)

9. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    bookguy232, did you receive my e-mail this past week? Had meant to tell you that earlier :)

Big Yellow Box was the biggest help in making the lightsaber I used in the marriage proposal back in November. Here's a better pic of how the saber came out:

[image=http://darthsidious.freeyellow.com/knight-lightsaber.jpg]

I shall wear it with pride at Celebration 2... 'cuz it's my own saber and I found a most excellent instructor at Big Yellow Box :D

10. Chris Knight

Jul 8, 1998
  11. bookguy232

Aug 6, 2000
    Chris.. Hey man, that's great,and CONGRATS!

No.. I didn't get your email.. Don't use the email on the site, the new (and official -though yet to be announced) email for my site is:
    yellowbox@comcast.net

12. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    Hey! I remember that, Chris! I saw that picture and thought, "Man, is this gonna fly?" But apparently it did! Just shows you what a lightsabre can contribute to a proposal....

13. Chris Knight

Jul 8, 1998
    Lisa thought the whole thing was insanely sweet (I also read a passage of scripture and then washed her feet, and told her I had something to say but wasn't good at speeches so she had to read it, then showed her the TFN frontpage :)) Originally had wanted to do it in a Jedi costume but didn't have time to put one together. Oh well... the Elon shirt is better anyway ;)

And making the lightsaber was a LOT of fun! Hadda tear up 3 chrome pipes before it came out just right... but sure looked good in the end didn't it? :D

14. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    It really did!

Awesome scripture, too! Although I probably would've gone with something from Song of Songs.

... well, maybe not. ;) It just kinda surprised me to see what looked to be a Christian running a Star Wars site. But the more I think about it, the more I like it!

15. Chris Knight

Jul 8, 1998
    TFN isn't a "Christian" website per se... but there's a fair number of believers who work behind the scenes on it, in various capacities :)

16. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Only 3 pipes? You must be an advanced Saber maker. I seem to mess up the chrome ones very easy. That is why I stick with PVC mostly.

17. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    I don't go through mutliple pipes. I just go with crappy looking sabres.

Actually, this thought just popped in my head. Ya know how when you're cutting a design out with the dremmel and the cut part turns a gold color which really contrasts with the silver of the tube. Well, what if you sand or grate the tube down just enough for it all to be gold, but still thick enough to hold together? Any thoughts?

18. Chris Knight

Jul 8, 1998
    I tried that a few times with my saber but it didn't work (tip: when making your first saber, it's not a bad idea to invest in more than one pipe to play around with cutting etc. :D)

If the gold shine is a problem, probably going over it with a very fine paintbrush and silver paint. I tried that with one of the rejects and it looked pretty decent.

(and Dremel's got to be the costumer/propmaker's best friend ;))

19. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Hey bookguy232, or anyone who has done saber VII. I am having trouble printing the templates. Mine are coming up smaller than they should be. I'm sure there is some printer setting I need to change, but I have no idea. Thanks.

20. BLooDBaTH

BLooDBaTH Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2002
    I guess im a geek for this site..check it out. these sabers are almost unbreakable.. www.parksabers.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.