main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coronavirus Escape Pod (Vent/Emotional Support/Share/Homeschool Help!))

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke02, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Gosh I wish I had vacation days :( I had to use an extra week to help out my mom after my dad passed, so hearing people actually went on vacation doubly sucks for me this year. However I am super spoiling myself. I actually got YouTube TV so I can watch all the sports, I even watched my first ever 30 for 30 documentary yesterday. It was the one about the summer of McGwire and Sosa. Yea, you guys I grew up in a house without cable and I've managed my whole life, but this pandemic has me feeling so sorry for myself I finally broke down and got TV.

My son's tutor is one of his summer school teacher's and she uses Zoom. I sat in on the first session I was available for this morning. He can now tell time really well, even on a face clock and he's learning more sight words. I think he's actually to the point where he's made progress on everything except writing since he left school in March. Anyone got any tips on getting a kid to actually want to practice printing their letters? My kid doesn't even like to color. He just hands me the crayons and tells me what color he wants things.

One county in MD here actually told private schools they had to start virtual, but the Governor overturned it. Too bad, I think we need to do everything to stop this virus. I'm getting royally pissed at our Governor here in VA. The numbers go up, he says don't sell alcohol after 10PM, big whipty doo, UGH, we need real restrictions. He's also letting Busch Gardens open in one of the hottest areas of the state. I give up! I will never get out of my house to do anything fun again :( Okay not true, but it's really beginning to feel that way. So frustrated with everything. EVERYTHING. Just stay in your house, wear a face mask if you must go out and stay distanced. Please.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Rew and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What about getting him to make letters with paint and brushes, sidewalk chalk or Play-Dough? Then move from there to writing with pencils or crayons.

I grew up without cable as well, although my Dad ended up buying it as soon as they took college sports off broadcast TV. I love YouTube TV.

Juliet316, Master_Lok and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    See I was @Runjedirun in the opposite boat of you & @anakinfansince1983 since I grew up in the household that not only was one of the first on the block to get cable but we were also the first ones on the block to get a VHS player since my dad invested in a local video store (too bad it wasn't Blockbuster but it did well enough for them all to make a decent profit by the time they sold it once ironically Blockbuster came to town). Our first cable box had the remote connected to it via a cable wire. Our first VCR had a mechanical dial. That is how long we had both cable and a VCR in our house growing up. Keep in mind I came along a bit later in life for my parents (my dad was 38 which ironically was the same age I had my daughter) so by then, my dad had establish himself in his career therefore they had more money then they did in their twenties and thirties. Plus my parents loved the movies (first date was at the movies), love sports, love TV, my dad is a bit of a techie freak (even though he isn't handy had it at all therefore I am the one still to this day that handles all their electronic stuff from purchasing to set up) etc. Plus my parents due to my dad's job had to be at a lot of functions like fundraisers and chicken dinners therefore I think they my wife and I just like being home a lot of the time when they weren't busy with that stuff or things for my brother and I.

So to me this is kinda like growing up all over again. I spent a lot of time at home growing up for the things listed above as my house was kinda a place my friends like to hang out especially we had a pool table and my mom feed everyone (typical Italian mom) along with my BFF's house during the summer months because his house had a in ground pool growing up (I still remember the first time we truly had a co-ed pool party there towards the end of high school, I thought his very Catholic mom was going to have a heart attack especially most the girls were in bikinis) so to me this is kinda like childhood all over again. Being the youngest with ten years apart and parents who were often out at work functions at least one weekend night a week (or out to dinner/movies), I got used to staying home either by myself or later in life with friends and eventually just me and a girl (which I still cannot believe my Catholic parents allowed but whatever I guess they figure we were going to find a way of doing somehow, at least there is a better chance of using taking precautions like we did if we were at someone's house). So for me staying at home regularly has been part of my life since childhood. Life for me growing up catered around sports, the mall, movie theaters, Great America (theme park) and hanging out mostly at home. And over the past several years ever since the boys were born, being at home regularly has been routine for my wife and I so to me this has not made us feel bad at all just being stuck at home though I get why others like yourself feel that way. Matter of fact we enjoyed it as you perhaps tell LOL!

I feel bad for other things most notably feeling like I am not doing enough to help out with everything. One thing we done is gone to McDonald's and bought a bunch $10 gift cards. Why? Because we are seeing more homeless people at intersections then we ever had before. My wife and I are almost in tears over something that happened last Sunday still where we gave a young man some money plus some food we had just brought from the store at a intersection. He absolutely woofed down the food and was so appreciative of it. He was obviously starving so we bought a bunch of McDonald's gift cards to give out if we see other homeless people at intersections. I worry giving them money will not go to what it should if you get my drift but I am not blaming them if they have a addiction at al. Far from it. I just want to make sure they get some food and while McDonald's is crappy fast food, they can still get some nourishment and relieve hunger for a bit on us. Plus we are starting to fill up boxes of food with our kids to give to the food pantry. We are picking up donations from friends and family then boxing it all up before bringing it over. It isn't much but I feel better like I am doing something thru this incredibly awful time.

Nothing really new to report on the school front as negotiations are still ongoing whether or not we will be made to come in. One idea is being floated out that it will be on a "optional basis" provided SOME teachers due to come in each day. I do not think that is a unreasonable request especially since some fall sports and activities are gong on as is therefore some teachers will need to be in the building by 2:30 PM to start getting ready for practice and stuff. So some of them already stated they would not mind coming in some days to teach from there instead of remotely. Also some of the science teachers said it will be much easier to teach labs and stuff from the classroom so they would like to come in and do lessons from school those days instead from home. I think it's a pretty good compromise and one where I volunteer to work a few days a week from the building long as I can come in and just find an empty room to teach from. That way I can take my mask off and eat/drink without worrying. Even if it's 2-3 days a week I am home that makes it so much easier on our parents plus my wife will really not have to look at working from home to at least start the year.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A few of my colleagues prefer working from the building either due to distractions or crappy Internet at home. I think it’s a good compromise as well. I’m going to work from my building one day a week just to handle things that I can’t handle from home, like filling requests for physical books and some tech work.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well we are having a mid year e-meeting next Wednesday. It should be our normal mid-year update on the business, but with a side of coronavirus.

I personally wish they would just pull a Google and say "we are working from home until there is a vaccine next year".

Doubt our CEO would do that.

darthhelinith, Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So I checked on Amazon @Juliet316 and there is TONS of TP now available but if again if you need Scott's, let me know. It is falling off our shelves by me right now. Paper towels are also everywhere now, just no disinfect wipes. The CEO of Clorox said they are making 1 million packages of it PER DAY yet cannot keep up with the demand. He said it will not be until really 2021 that you will see it back to normal. Incredible.

Did @anakinfansince1983 or @jedijax start yet? We started last week. I must admit there some advantages to zoom at least for what I teach namely I can mute kids so they don't talk over me plus the breakout rooms I finding work well on Zoom. Just stinks we only have basic accounts at school since the ones you pay for allows you to post questions and stuff. I tried signing up for it and was willing to pay out of pocket for it but since it's a school account I cannot. They are looking to see if there is a way to unlock it for us to get the paid version if we are willing to pay for it ourselves which again I am willing to. Just be a lot easier for bell ringers and exit slips to have the questions right on Zoom. But other then feeling like we are driving on ice at times, it's gone okay. Just so odd and bizarre. Like the first day/first period, it went after a few glitches as planned and the kids got into the Kahoot I had for them that we did during the second of the class. I almost forget this was being done remote so after they logged off the bell rang and we heard...nothing. Absolutely nothing. Normally you hear music (which we play between periods), people talking, shuffling of feet etc. But now it's just nothing. So so so strange. There is a petition going on to the principal that we should play music between passing periods even though no kids are here just for some normalcy. I actually have played it in my zooms as the kids enter just to make feel a "bit more like regular school". Heck I be for them pumping in fake noise like people cheering/walking etc to make it sound like the building is not empty other then us staff! It is really going to take major adjustment that is for sure.

Anything new @Runjedirun with your kids school?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Master_Lok and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I found some Scott's when I went to the store last week, but it wasn't the 1000 rolls that I usually get (those last longer IMO).

Master_Lok, Runjedirun and Luke02 like this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is what we use since they are better apparently for the pipes and my daughter still has not figure out that you do not need to use a third of the roll each time! We actually traded with our neighbor since early on all we could fine was Charmin therefore we got a ton of Scott toilet paper and were also looking really good with paper towels along with even with wipes since our neighbor got us some to go along with what we had left.

Fifi Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    First off, I wish my high school played music. But my high school was awful. The paint was brown lockers with white walls. Worst of all they locked all the bathroom doors during class times and teachers were supposed to unlock them during classes. If you had to go to the bathroom during class you had to walk down to the cafeteria and sign in so they kept track of how many bathroom trips you took throughout the year and didn't abuse the system. As a teenage girl I still have nightmares about trying to find open bathrooms between periods. Sorry way off topic.

Three weeks until Sept 8th, first day of school. So nothing to report here. They are offering a limited amount of child care and my 2nd grader would be at the top of the list, but my husband won't hear of it. He wants the kids home. Me I would have looked into it, but he's here all day working form home and managing the kids and if he thinks he can handle it more power to him. My work wants me in the office. Teachers here went back Friday. We pick up our 7th grader's laptop on Thursday and the 2nd grader's laptop next Friday. Really just waiting for things to kick off.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Pensivia likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *Blink,blink* I...I have no words. What happened to just asking for a hall pass?

Rew, Master_Lok, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We have had horrible tech issues. AOL online from the 90s level tech issues, for those of you old enough to remember when home Internet went to unlimited. I’ve been fielding a lot of the calls and thankfully parents have been nice about it; many of them know me already since I’ve been working at my school for so long. I just hope there’s a way to resolve it soon.

13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Lots of weird stuff that would never fly now happened at my high school. I had a gym teacher that called us girls "broads". I came home and looked it up on the old dial up internet because I didn't know what the term meant. He said he knew that us "broads" didn't want to do gym so he let us sit around and do nothing while the boys played sports. I hated it. This was my school in Hanover County VA, after I moved from Montgomery County MD. The two places are so different. Hanover County is still stuck in the past, last year they voted to keep Stonewall Jackson Middle School and Lee Jackson high school, but after this summer they took the names down anyway and now they have two schools with no names.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah... That wouldn't have flown in the schools I grew up in.

Runjedirun and Princess_Tina like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yesterday I emailed the college where I've been accepted and told them I had decided against attending this semester. Maybe next year. [face_sigh]

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  17. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Very sorry to hear that. So many plans put aside this year.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In my second grade Zoom class yesterday, the first thing one kid said to me was “I miss you.”

I will not cry on Zoom. I will not cry on Zoom.

Rew, Pensivia, Runjedirun and 7 others like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Aww. That makes me want to cry in the JCC.

"There's no crying in JCC!"

Rew, Pensivia, Runjedirun and 4 others like this.
  20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Sarge
    @anakinfansince1983

and everyone here [:D]

Still no Clorox, Lysol wipes or Scott’s TP here.

Mom and I are hanging in, but we’ve had a rough week. It’s tough sometimes. Wishing I could do more for her and us. We will make it.

Anyway, may everyone have a good day.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I did find some Scott's 1000 Toilet paper at the store yesterday, it was in the 4 packs instead of the usual 9 packs that I like to get, but there were finally some in the store again.

Runjedirun, Luke02 and Master_Lok like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Hopefully @jedijax & @anakinfansince1983 your district(s) purchases the license for Zoom because OMG! what a difference. The mere fact that you can record your Zoom calls right there on their platform that students can access anytime (which saves tons of room on your computer) is a Godsend! Plus I love how you can just give instant polls and other stuff. It's only been a day and already made a huge difference. Write more when I can.

Yeah @Master_Lok you basically have to luck into it and be there when they put out a new shipment because my neighbor told me they sell out of them within a few hours typically once they are on display even with the limit one. Again won't be until next year until we see those on the shelves in mass quantities.

And good to hear @Juliet316 you got the good stuff. That is what life has gotten to. Being excited over your preferred toilet paper brand back on the shelf!

Pensivia, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Well, week one of the semester down and I definitely need a check-in here:p. I am all-virtual this semester and attempting synchronous live sessions for the first time (only did asynchronous stuff in the spring when the students all had to move home; now most of them are on campus--for now at least!).

I am finding that all-virtual teaching, especially as a noob at it, is even MORE exhausting than in-person teaching (which I already found quite tiring now that I'm middle-aged and tended to put a lot of "performance energy" into the classroom). And it's frustrating. So unsatisfying compared to in-person instruction--definitely for me, and most likely for most of the students as well. But I am very glad to not have the daily anxiety of wondering if our my school's in-person protocols are in fact going to turn out to be safe, so that's what I'm trying to focus on. Just reading my emails every day reminds me I am glad to be home, as faculty are already reporting students taking their masks off immediately after leaving the classroom, ignoring the fact that even classrooms that open up into outdoor breezeways still need both social distancing and mask wearing when there are groups of students getting out of class at the same time.

Feeling the weight of what it seems like will be a long, exhausting slog this semester, plus the uncertainty of how much things will get better--or not--in the future depending on the effectiveness of any vaccines.

Trying to fend off negativity, though. I can definitely see I'm going to have to start taking neighborhood walks again even though there's really no good time of day for that here right now between the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes and other insects. (Pleasant walking weather in the morning here is still probably at least 2, maybe even 3 months away!) Just need to get away from my computer and my house for a bit every day if possible I think. So that's where I'm headed now!:p

Hope everyone here is hanging in there. I'm glad we have each other for some support as we head into an uncertain fall![:D]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Rew and Master_Lok like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually really like my Zoom classes so far despite, to my knowledge, not having the Zoom license.

The downside this week has been the multi-step log in process for school issued Chromebooks—one log in that they would also have at school, then a separate one for their home Wi-Fi, then another one for the Canvas learning platform, which elementary kids have never used. (Middle and high school have used it for ages.). My administrators and I have been on the phone with parents all week, and I’ve said multiple times, “I know this is complicated for an eight-year-old, and would be complicated for many adults, and I am so sorry.” School-issued iPads have been easier.

We’ve also had a demand for Internet hot spots that has far exceeded the supply, and we have a foundation that is raising money for those now, but meanwhile homeless kids and other kids who may have had their Internet cut off because, you know, lost jobs during a pandemic, are stuck on Zoom through a phone or trying to connect to Wi-Fi at a Starbucks or Panera.

A lot of these issues could be solved through better funding, and my conspiracy-theory brain is thinking that Phil Berger and his ilk are not allotting remote learning funding on purpose, because they want to be able to say, “See! You aren’t meeting the needs of these children! Go back in person!”

But they didn’t want to fully fund public schools before the pandemic either.

25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah, I think I would probably prefer teaching via Zoom, but my school doesn't have an institutional license, and so there's no training or support for using it for teaching, plus the 40-minute time limit for free service wouldn't work for my classes. Our school uses Blackboard and the associated live session "Collaborate" software. It definitely sucks compared to Zoom as far as the ability to display multiple video feeds, but it's all integrated into our supporting course materials, gradebook, storage of recorded live sessions, etc. so it's a lot simpler to stick with it. I know some faculty decided to pay for their own individual Zoom subscriptions, but I've already invested my own $ for new equipment this semester anyway ( ex: $200 for a "sit to stand" desk riser to use at home so I don't have to sit all of the time while teaching) so I don't think I'll go that route, at least for now.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020