main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coronavirus Escape Pod (Vent/Emotional Support/Share/Homeschool Help!))

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke02, Mar 20, 2020.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Ooooof.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55549072

A note for UK parents - given the current lockdown the BBC will start presenting educational programs again to aid home schooling. You can get details at the link. Lessons start on Jan 11.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So our school board meets Tuesday to decide whether we will move forward with plans to go back to hybrid in person instruction. And people are losing their minds on both sides of the argument.

I’m tired. And I envy people who aren’t in professions that every ***hole on the Internet has an opinion about.

Rew and Pensivia like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, will share that with colleagues next week.

As to this new UK lockdown, feels far more ominous.

LAJ_FETT and Pensivia like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55692137 - Children in England can now access books online while schools are closed using a new virtual library set up by the Oak National Academy. For more information and a link to the site see the story.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, our date to go back into the office got bumped back to 4-1-21.

Runjedirun and solojones like this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Smuggling and dealing have started to take new forms, and I'm guilty. Our boss had banned sweets at our coffee break, sharing can spread the virus. Well now there is a secret stash of crisp bread under a counter in the kitchen, yesterday me and a colleague went down in the kitchen before everyone else so I could sneak her my homemade chocolate balls that she wanted to try (I kept them in a plastic box so nobody could see what was in it), and the latest is that there are now cinnemon buns in the kitchen that is mainly used by our extra workers, and not by the boss.

Runjedirun and Pensivia like this.
  8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's definitely how my kid's lives are being effected that's making this hard on me. My eldest son had to do engineering 1 first semester at home and it was the class he struggled with most. I was so happy it was going to be over and also sad because I think he would have liked it in the classroom where it was hands on. Well now he got his choices for second semester. He had to make all his choices back in early Jan 2020 before anyone imagined school would be virtual. He found out Thursday he got engineering 2, but luckily a different teacher I'm hoping that helps and he also got FACS (family and consumer sciences AKA home ec) It was his first choice because he likes cooking. UGH. What a freakin waste! I feel so bad for him because the whole reason he took the class is pretty much lost. Now he is scheduled to go back in the classroom 2 days a week starting March 6th. Since the teachers will be vaccinated. I think it's hybrid, and will be 2 days a week. That hasn't been confirmed. I think it's just a given. Anyway if he goes back two days a week that means he gets one day of FACS in the classroom a week. Monday will always be a day off this whole damn year. They think they kids need extra time to catch up every week because this virtual learning is so hard on them. (I think that's BS my kid's are having no trouble learning online). Then Tuesday and Thursday are ODD class days and Wednesday and Friday are even days. So he'd go in on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then he'd learn from home watching the other half of the class in the classroom on his computer Thursday and Friday. Hopefully that makes sense. To sum it up I just really feel for him missing out on what he should be getting out of his electives, the fun classes! Not to mention all the socialization he needs! He's almost 13, this is a really critical age.

The other thing I'm really struggling with is sports. Both my kid's played baseball before this started. Spring '20 was cancelled everyone missed out no big deal. In fall my youngest got aged out because he turned 7 a week too late to be allowed to play due to their rule that kid's under 7 wouldn't be able to follow the social distancing rules. So I took it upon myself to sign up the youngest for a t-ball class. Outdoors everyone wore a mask and he loved it. My husband would not think of letting the older one play. He doesn't think it's safe. Now there's spring ball in '21 and both my kids are eligible and I think we should do it, even though I get nothing is 100% safe, but my husband won't hear of it. My kids are going to be so far behind in baseball. They don't even want to practice on their own. I am getting them out to play tennis when weather permits, but for whatever reason they have no interest in baseball without their teams. I don't expect my kids to even be good at sports, trust me I never made a team in high school. I was cut, cut and cut again. But I wish I could give my kids a chance, especially the youngest who seems to really like baseball. The kid's whose parent's let them play are getting so far ahead. Anyway that's my Sunday morning rant.

I hope everyone is staying healthy!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Pensivia likes this.
  9. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    That is definitely tough, @Runjedirun .[:D] I do think it's probably kids and the elderly who are suffering the most with all the isolation and lack of normal activities. As your examples illustrate, kids change so much from year to year and certain experiences can only happen during a limited period of their lives, so even anticipating "things will be better in another year" or something doesn't help the problem of everything that can't just be "made up for" in the future.

Runjedirun likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    AMC theaters opened back up in my area, but I'm still not going mainly due to lack of content. I miss that along with hosting social gatherings. I cut ties with virtually all of my co-worker friends because of their unbearably selfish attitudes towards to the pandemic (also some other things, they have all moved on to better jobs than I so extreme jealousy and resentment). That's made me depressed.

11. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker friends, @I Are The Internets . That definitely makes a tough situation tougher. :-(

I offer myself as your virtual CBS Sunday Morning discussion buddy anytime you are up for it:p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Runjedirun and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I was out walking the neighborhood with my friend just now. We were talking about the Nationals winning the series less than 2 years ago. It made me think about 2 things. #1 my husband was so sick during that time period I couldn't enjoy the win and I think it's why we do take Covid as serious as we do. #2 I really want a big soft pretzel that you can really only get at a ball game.

darthcaedus1138, Rew and Pensivia like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The last couple of days have demonstrated that I'm a very bad cynic.

A good cynic would not have been the least bit fazed by a national leader brushing off 100,000 deaths, while hundreds or over a thousand deaths continue daily.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    At this rate in Missouri I am thinking I won't get a shot until summer, even though I'm high risk. It's the worst state at vaccine administration so far.

Goodbye to my hopes of going out in the spring.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So glad my earlier prediction was wrong and I did indeed get my shot. Now just waiting on #2.

Juliet316, Ghost, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @I Are The Internets

The AMC by us just reopened a few weeks ago as well. No interest in going anytime soon though with perhaps the EARLIEST will consider going to see something is around Memorial Day Weekend to take the kids (especially my daughter) to go see Cruella. But that is only if everything health wise is much safer and even then we might not go as will stay home if it's a D+ release. Just so much easier especially since were still worried our daughter might get scared of it even though it's her new obsession. We have watch that trailer about 6-7 times a day since it dropped.

And @Juliet316 I think the Toilet Paper Wars of 2020 are finally over with. Not only are the shelves seem to be fully stock again there are no longer any limits (at least by us) and they are even running sales on it. We honestly have enough to last us thru the end of the year to be honest now that were all out of the house so more often.

Runjedirun likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, been able to get toilet paper at regular intervals here.

Luke02 likes this.
  19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Since the serious thread is filled up with people getting their vaccines or making appointments for it, I just want to say that it's so frustrating sitting in Europe and just waiting, and waiting, and waiting. I want my vaccine, or even more I want my mother to get her vaccine.

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    We are really struggling with our middle schooler. I don't know if it's normal teen stuff or teen stuff magnified by the pandemic. He went back hybrid last week and now he claims he doesn't want to do school at home anymore. But he doesn't have the option. School is only 2 days a week in person. Honestly, I feel like he's just being difficult to be difficult. He turns 13 on Thursday. This is just normal adolescent stuff. But it's so damn frustrating and I do think he'd be in a better place if he was in school more, if he could hang out with his friends at school, on the bus, just anywhere. It's not cool to sit 6 feet from everyone while wearing a mask. He even says the cafeteria is silent with "awful" music they play in the background. Anyway he's been on the honor roll for the first two 9 week grading periods and now his grades are slipping! So damn frustrating. And it's going to be a whole new struggle to go back 5 full days a week in the fall. At some point the teacher's have to stop accepting late assignments just because "we know it's difficult with the pandemic".

Juliet316, Pensivia and Luke02 like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Have you considered getting him some virtual counseling? Does the school itself offer any?

22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    My husband called all over today. One place had an appointment in November. Some places just had answering machines and he left messages. No hits yet, but we are trying. There's a world wide crisis, counseling is hard to find, especially if your a new patient.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My health insurance company has free virtual counseling that you can do on the phone. Is that something you could look into with yours?

24. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Good news, someone returned a call. My son is thinking about if he wants to talk to someone. We aren't going to force him, but he's also got to agree to do some work on the days he's learning from home. The good news is we did find a place that can make a virtual appointment relatively soon if he wants one.

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have gotten in contact with this guy, we want to go on a date, but he's in Stockholm and there's a raging pandemic and you aren't supposed to travel or meet new people. :(

Luke02, Sarge and Pensivia like this.