main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coronavirus Escape Pod (Vent/Emotional Support/Share/Homeschool Help!))

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke02, Mar 20, 2020.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got a small back garden and it gets decent sun (when that is out) for the drying frame. Problem is the UK weather - this week is supposed to be more cloudy than sunny and it's chilly - 50s F.

Pensivia and solojones like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This week has been cold!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - the wind is from the NE - a cold direction at this time of year.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It has been in the 60s F all week here but windy.

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    can relate. I grew up in very modest circumstances and we had no washer/dryer and no car to get to a laundromat (which was several miles away into town), so for years we washed all our clothes in the bathtub of our one-bedroom apartment and hug them out to dry on the backyard clothesline.

Runjedirun, Luke02 and LAJ_FETT like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Launderette is walking distance for me but it not being open is the problem. (I've been a regular for years). I had a washer/dryer but it did neither job well and finally died rather spectacularly. (Sparks were involved).

solojones, Pensivia and Runjedirun like this.
  7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Had a talk with my aunt, which was nice and she was quite worried about me being in a risk group. I explained to her that I'm not, and then I got angry not just with the media but with all the reports they use that only lump diabetes as a risk factor, without even mentioning that first of all it's two different conditions, and secondly even within those with the same type it's such an individual thing that while some are definitely at risk, others are not.

Pensivia likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Do you have a spinner?

9. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There's a cold breeze (or more like wind) here today. Fought it the last mile of my run, but I still had a really nice run. Except for the part where I ran by the baseball fields. That made me sad cause at minimum we are missing a whole baseball season, but we'll probably miss fall too (and maybe next spring). Both my kids play and I should be going to their games this weekend.

Today my son's teacher let us know that one of her teacher's aids is going to be able to video chat with him and read him stories at very least, hopefully teach some lessons. We are going to Skype. We might practice this week, but real learning starts April 14. We get the aid because my son is fairly high functioning and the teacher is assigned to some of the more struggling kids (not sure how to say it, but hopefully you know what I mean). What's ridiculous is that they insist we take family time next week for Spring Break and the teacher's aren't allowed to contact families. Who's in need of family time right now???? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well my family gets along. My kids mostly play Plants vs Zombies on the x-box, but you know they are brother's playing together and getting along and that's way more than I expected. Still feeling stressed, but all in all things are going pretty well.

Pensivia, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks Pensivia! Yep, still symptom-free now. (Some tightness in the chest earlier today, but that's most likely stress.)

I haven't been to any social gatherings since. The only times I go out are to walk my dog (along the largely empty streets of my neighborhood) and the occasional run to the store for supplies. I still do takeout sometimes, though not as often as I normally do. And experts have said there hasn't been any evidence of spread via food (or even food containers like to-go bags).

So while I don't want to say I'm 100% in the clear now, I do like my chances if I keep on keeping on!

Anyway, while we're cross-posting from the main coronavirus thread, I thought I'd repost this video (originally shared in that thread by Fifi Kenobi):

This video has done wonders to reassure me about this pandemic and what I can do to protect myself (and others). I know some in this thread have expressed some fear of faltering in their vigilance and getting infected by some stray mistake. According to this doctor--and given that he's an ICU physician in a hospital in NYC that's been converted to a COVID-19 hospital and those are his only patients now, I'd say that makes him the expert on this--if you follow a few simple rules of limiting social contact, washing your hands thoroughly, and don't touch your face, you won't get this disease. And that knowledge has done wonders for me personally during this crisis.

Anyway, someone in the comments included this helpful video breakdown:
    - If you only watch one part, Start at 9:20
    - Some bookmarks if you don't watch the whole vid: Doctor's bona fides @ 3:00
    - Key Message (regarding personal care) @ 9:20 - 15:30
    - Social ramifications @16:00 - 23:00
    - Feeling symptomatic? @ 23:30
    - Vulnerable people in house? @ 24:40
    - Q&A @ 29:40

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  11. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    great, glad to hear that!

I've had some recurring chest tightness on and off since going into lockdown over two weeks ago, but I think it must be stress as well because it's not constant and because it responds to my anti-anxiety med when I do take the med.

I liked that vid as well. Great idea to put the bookmarks/time markers in there--I have no doubt that will help others (even who just may be lurking this thread).

Speaking of food, I am heartened by the things I've also read that suggest transmission by food really isn't happening, but I find myself still taking "extra" precautions in that regard--case in point: today I rinsed some chocolate-covered almonds before eating them:p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Somehow a lot of companies have saved my life and are responsible for saving everyone's life. [face_talk_hand]

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just finished The Diary of Anne Frank. It definitely helps keep the present situation in perspective, and it's also a beautiful book.

solojones, Pensivia, Luke02 and 3 others like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Glad you finally got to read it. It's definitely a book that keeps a lot of things in perspective. Like yes, we are sitting at home to avoid spreading COVID-19. But we aren't in danger of being found and executed by the Nazis. We're just in danger of being bored.

Pensivia, Sarge, PCCViking and 3 others like this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Saw Ina Garten trending and feared the worst.

But no, she's just making an End of the World cocktail.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't resorted to morning alcohol (yet). Before bedtime is a different story.

Pensivia, Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    A lot of that @Runjedirun has to do with union rules/contracts. We were not allowed to contact our students for two weeks because we had emergency days + spring break. We were not even allowed to post our e-learning classroom assignments until Monday. And now of course since everyone is trying to use the same system all at once, they are having all kinds of networking problems especially since we are only really supposed post/have school from a certain time period. So right now it's a lot of waiting around for technology. Our friend @Sarge was 100% right. This truly is a very tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny glimpse of what military personnel goes thru. Hopefully Skype works for you though we been having issues with it plus the kids don't like it so we been using Zoom and Discord.

Anne Frank btw is a book we been referencing to students as a way to think about no matter how bad this is, it can always somehow worse. My dad posted that on Facebook to all the grandkids that no matter how bad this is, someone always has it to worse. Much worse.

And on a much much much lighter note to hopefully brighten a few moods, the first assignment many of us asked for was a reflection of what life has been like under well quarantine. Gotten a whole variety of responses including some humorous ones. Here are a few in mind. Please keep in mind these are high school students (no particular order):

1. "Since are under isolation I decided to dye my hair green. I am really lucky we are all in our houses. It did NOT go well!"
    2. "I never thought my parents would ever tell me to please just stay in my room and play Forenite all the time".
    3. "When I say I binge watched Netflix I should let you know I am not playing around. I am disgusted by my screen time and the permanent crater I left on my couch".
    4. "My girlfriend is literally the girl next door. We have to stand far away from the fence and shout at each other. It feels like we are Romeo and Juliet or something".
    5. "I been talking with a girl I really like for a really long time. I decided to just go ahead and ask her if she would go out with me. She gave me a HARD YES! With my luck, this means will be in a quarantine until I am forty!".

Hope this brightens someone's day. :)

18. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank you for the bookmarks!

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/04/01/doctor-atul-gawande-coronavirus

Dr. Gawande is one of my heroes. Another voice of reason and calm.

Juliet316, Pensivia and Rew like this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If they just let the doctors/scientists @Fifi Kenobi run the whole show, we be so better off not just in this horrific crisis but also in general. I do have a hope that PERHAPS that some good can come out all of this. One of them? Perhaps more kids now will dream of not becoming the next Kardashian but rather the next Dr. Fauci and Dr. Gawande. As one article I read said, we must change as a species after this and for the better. One can hope.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  20. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Our school system did the 2 week emergency week thing, this week is the teacher's learning to do "distance learning" next week is Spring Break and then finally 4 weeks after school was closed (actually 4 weeks and 2 days) that's when we get to crash the system and try to learn to use it. So our students are losing a month. Some stuff is supposed to be available now, but most of it's not working yet. We tried to find my son's sight words, those definitely aren't working and that was frustrating because my son wanted to do those with the letter cards I bought. But I can't access them until the 14th, it's the 1st, I am frustrated.

Today was a rough day at work combined with the frustrations of being quarantined. Thank goodness Survivor is on to get my mind off my problems tonight. After Survivor I don't know what I'll have. My great escape is sports. I only have an NBA league pass, no other streaming services. I follow some people on YouTube, but they are having trouble making content in their homes that will stay interesting for months on end. I give them props for what some of those creators are doing.

Rew and Pensivia like this.
  21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I come back from my morning walk to hear this voicemail from my elderly mother (with type II diabetes) in another part of the state (FL):

"Just wanted to let you know I called the beauty shop today and my hairdresser actually answered! I had an appointment for this morning and she asked me if I was coming in. I said I'd be happy to! I don't know know how she managed that, or if it's illegal because Gov. De Santis closed everything down yesterday, but I'm going. I'll let you know how it went."

[face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

*bangs head on countertop*

I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally for my mother getting this, calling me panicked and sick before an ambulance has to come for her, and then dying alone.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but trying to prevent her from doing things like this seems impossible, and I can't take the mental stress of trying to "fight every battle" on such points for the next 18 months.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I totally understand the fear. We luckily managed to get my grandma to stop going to her weekly hair appointments before the official shutdown happened. So the only person she's been seeing is her visiting physical therapist, and that's almost done. Pretty soon she won't be exposed to anyone who's been outside, which is good.

Personally I am more worried about my dog's haircut than mine. Because it's starting to get warm and she's starting to get shaggy... if she can't get a haircut for 4-8 more weeks, she might not be able to see and might be kinda hot. We may have to personally snip the hair around her eyes at least, which is daunting.

Juliet316, Luke02 and Pensivia like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you Google 'Home haircut for a dog' there are some tutorials around. However most assume you have the right equipment to start with.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeaaah which I definitely don't. And these are labradoodles, so their overall haircuts are complex and I don't want to attempt it.

I do know someone (coworker's wife) who used to be a professional groomer. I've considered seeing if she'd let me pay her to groom them. Just drop my dog off in a crate outside her house, zero contact...

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    As with the stylist, offer a toilet paper bribe on top of the price.

Juliet316, Pensivia and solojones like this.