main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costume Contest: Lets Get It Right This Time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Boskone_Kenobi, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    It had nothing to do with partialality. Hopefully this makes sense.
    It does make sense, and I hope it would be like that. My concern and reason for the "homecoming" comment was that in my journey to become a member of both RL and 501st...I have run into many people who look at anyone (not already a member) as "inferior" and not worth recognition. I think a judge (or 2) from either/both RL and 501st is fine...but they should not be the majority of the panel.

Having been involved with event planning...let me just say that there are always logisitical problems that not everyone likes. As for the video camera, I hate to tell you this...but "security" sorta relaxed on that one as the show started (I've got some great video of the contest if you're interested) :)

My major disappointment was to have wasted my last day at CII in that event, that wasn't fun at all for the participants
    That is your opinion...I can tell you the audience enjoyed the show. But it was annoying to see so many "sore-loser" types afterwards bad-mouthing everything. I had to sit through an elevator ride with some fuming Amidala...complaining how she didn't win (no offense honey, you didn't deserve to)

2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    You guys do know if you are so upset with what happen last time, they could always just not do ANY contest again...sometimes we have to take the good with the bad in order to have it at all...

3. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Believe me, I am a very positive person and I can say that CII was spectacular overall. I am just saying as a reality there were plenty of things about the costume contest that needed improving. As a master of organization myself I can recognize when something is poorly organized. ;)

I'll have to agree with Qui-Gon_Ludo, Boskone, Jeditrilobite, Hothgirl, Obi-Dawn and Gochi, there needs to be some improvements for CIII! :)

4. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    And judging from the audience's reaction...the majority of people enjoyed the contest and the decision on winners.

5. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    One thing for sure, I won't waste my time in the contest again! I'd rather spend my last day collectible hunting :)

6. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    You tell 'em Qui-Gon.... I love [face_love] you! :)

7. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'd hope so...you married him!

Anyways, if you don't like the way the costume contest is run, where decisions are made through both a judges panel and some audience participation...then simply don't enter. There are plenty of good people out there with excellent costumes for us to all cheer for!

8. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Hey Krash do you have Ludo, his family and I on video from the costume contest?

9. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I think you really misread what I said... I think it's just a shame that hand made costume couldn't beat a rubies Dath Maul. Making a costume takes a lot of time, both in research and making... You probably know what I am talking about, since I believe you are working on one :) And another big disappointment was that we couldn't even see the contest itself!
    Yeah, we decided that we wouldn't participate this time (plus, with the limited entries, we might not even have made it!), we had more fun just wearing and enjoying our costumes . Plus it's real fun to take pics with kids of all ages!! (even if LL was almost blind because of the flashes by the end of the week end.). But I hope that anybody entering the eventual contest will have a blast!! :)

10. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    so in order to make it better here's a little more on the categories from me:

I think this might help make it better.

Novice:
    Any costumer who has never won an award for an original costume in a masquerade.

A catogorie where fans who bought part of their costume from stores like Rubies and ParkSaber could enter.

Journeyman:
    Any costumer who has won at least one (but less than three awards in a masquerade or any costumer who wishes to enter in this division provided that they have never won (they may have entered) in a higher division.

This categorie is for people who might have bought a their accessories (Lightsaber and such) from a third party but made the rest of their costume themselves.

Artisan:
    Any costumer who has won three or more awards; or who wishes to enter this division, provided that they do not belong in a higher division in use in the competition.*

This categorie is open only to those who have entirely made their costume and the accessories that come with them. (Accessories do not "reject" build-it-yourself kits acquired from a third party)

* In regards to Worldcon Awards: they shall count in calculating standing: "Master" award winners shall compete only against each other, if numbers warrant it; otherwise they may enter Artisan, or enter out-of-competition.

I also think the participants should be seated at the back of the room hidden behind curtains until the show begins. that way they could see the show. logistics would be to get them on stage the sneakiest way possible, that's why you suffered so much in a dark hallway.

11. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Qui-Gon_Ludo makes a good point! :) Ludo I love your Jango costume.

I also like the category idea of Uilmuteiz.

12. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Hello Gang!! I have a question...not being at the first 2 Celebrations, I have no idea how the costume contest works. Is it held on just one day of the event? Or is it multiple days? Because if that is the case, I will just wear my costume around the ICC, and not even bother with the contest. And by the way, I really like your costume contest idea Uilmuteiz!

13. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Hi there! For CII the costume contest was only on one day. I don't know what the setup will be for CIII but it will probably be only on one day. Most of us that have costumes wear our costumes all the days of the convention. Even though I am not going to participate in the contest just wearing our costumes around is fun enough! :) VaderFan what costume do you have?

14. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Well, Lady_Lucas, since you asked so nicely...it is a Darth Vader suit. I chose it moslty because he is my FAVORITE character of the Star Wars universe! And another reason is probably because I am a rather tall person...6'4 to be exact, so I will be a pretty good Vader. I can't wait to get the whole thing together!! I am going to try and get the chest box to make the breathing sound...creepy! And besides, there probably won't be very many Vaders at the celebration! Maybe you will keep an eye out for me!! I was thinking of putting a Canadian flag on my passes I get, I'm not sure yet. Butwhat I DO know, is that this will be ONE HELL of a party!

15. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<<<Anthony Daniels succumbing to snide political bias in what should have been a completely neutral event
    Oh ...please explain that one?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For no apparent reason, Daniels chose the costume contest to make negative comments about George W. Bush, and our election process. In a costume contest? Was that really the best time and place?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    ANthony Daniels throwing all logical judging out the window and awarding 2nd and 3rd places with the most random and banal of all methods: the audience shouting match
    As a member of the audience, I think the whole point of the audience participation was to give everyone a chance to be a part of the event.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>

And instantly throw the contest to whoever happens to have the most friends in the audience. Nope, no bias there.
    For as much as the audience wants to participate, this contest is for the COSTUMERS first and foremost, and we have a right to informed judges. If the audience wants a say, then they can prove they know anything about how hard these costumes are to make, or better yet, just enter the contest themselves.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Regardless of what your pride/ego may think...that event was simply for all of us to cheer each other's efforts in costuming; not elect you "king"
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am distressed that I cannot express an opinion about an event I have firsthand knowledge of without being labelled. I posted several reasons why the contest was poorly run and you didnt respond to them, leading me to believe you are just being an apologist for the organizers. For the record, I have never said that my costume was better than everyone elses.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    you just accused all 2000 members of both groups of being remorselessly shallow
    Nobody is accusing anyone of anything wrong...except YOU. It's basic human nature that there would be some form of personal bias among a judges panel of "peers" (and admitting so is not a crime) Having a celebrity judge panel allows the "fan" to be taken out of the equation...and simply let us enjoy the show.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have heard no reason why the 501st would form a sinister cabal to rig the contest. (Far more likely would be audience member rigging when the winner is awarded merely by who had the most friends there that day). You are under a biased assumption that the 501st is pack of elitists out to conquer us all. For one thing, the 501st simply does not have any superstars, or cults of personality around members who are alleged demi-gods. I am in the Rebel legion, yet have only met one other, and if the rest of the contest is filled with legionnaires, I would have no way of knowing who is one and who isnt. There is no vote-rigging possible if you dont know who to rig it for (not to mention why I would owe any of them anything).
    I would appreciate it if you refrained from labelling the 501st a pack of vote-rigging cheaters until you actually had valid evidence to do so.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I am not impressed that Sansweet can buy his way into SW fandom considering other fans have made just as significant contributions with a fraction of the money and produced ORIGINAL SW Creations.
    So because he has the financial resources to do what any of us can only dream of...he's less of a knowledgable fan? Dude, check your ego at the door!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you seriously suggesting that Sansweet knows everything there is to know about costumes, despite never made or worn one in his life?
    Some fans spend years building a Vader, utilizing a dozen different disciplines. If Sansweet goes out and buys a vader overnight (which he did), you say he automatically gains costuming knowledge equal to those who put in the time? DOnt make me laugh.
    Sansweet knows nothing about costuming. He does not do anything at all in that area. He is not qualified to make judgements about what costume had the greater degree of difficulty and you know it. Sansweet is a collector only. If lots of us had equal money, then our collections would b

16. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    <<<<<<<Anyways, if you don't like the way the costume contest is run, where decisions are made through both a judges panel and some audience participation...then simply don't enter. There are plenty of good people out there with excellent costumes for us to all cheer for! >>>>>>>>>>>>

I have enough feedback now, I will start preparing my email to the organizers where I will tell them everything that was done wrong last time, and our recommendations.
    My most precise recommendation will be no audience particapation (what use is costuming praise from people who arent costumers), and judging panel full of professional or accomplished costume creators. Fear of the 501st aside, they would be ideal
    (and I am not even a member either, so there).

17. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Sheesh Boskone_Kenobi, who blew up your Death Star? This section is for people to give suggestions on how to make things BETTER! Not go off on a rant!! There are other forums for that kind of garbage! Besides, you probably don't even know Steve Sansweet, or what kind of guy he is. To me, he is the ULTIMATE Star Wars fan! Just because he has a bigger collection than you, doesn't mean you have to treat him like a piece of crap! No one ever said he was going to be at the costume contest at Celebration 3. Now get off his back, and get on with your life!!

18. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Sheesh Boskone_Kenobi, who blew up your Death Star? This section is for people to give suggestions on how to make things BETTER! Not go off on a rant!!
    In fariness I think he understands that since he started the thread. As to the ranting he was kind of baited into that.

Besides, you probably don't even know Steve Sansweet, or what kind of guy he is.

I doubt that most of us know what kind of guy he is. But I do agree that just because he is a huge collector does not automatically make him a good judge for costuming.

To me, he is the ULTIMATE Star Wars fan!

That is your opinion and you are definitely entitled to it. To me he his the ultimate COLLECTOR. Collecting is only one facet of the SW universe The ulimate FAN for me is people who lay awake a night thinking about Star Wars wondering about C3 and EP 3 and counting down the days. I have nothing against Sansweet and to be honest I am impressed with his collection. However, I think the ulimate fans are often people who recieve no noteriety but very deeply love Star Wars and try to experience the fandom world with whatever means possible. I am in no means trying to put myself in this category. I just simply trying to say that all you half to do is look among your friends and family and you will find your own ultimate fan.

19. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    I also thought the George Bush comments were out of place at the costume contest. I agree with that!

VaderFanForever, so you are making a Darth vader costume. That is great! It'll be tough but it can be done.

20. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    *blushes because he's a Ultimate Star Wars fan*

Well I just had to hand out this week's Quote to VaderFanForever:
    And besides, there probably won't be very many Vaders at the celebration! Maybe you will keep an eye out for me!!

Ok there's not that many vaders, but you should put a Canadian flag on your shoulder like the Commander of the Canadian 501st.

21. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    VaderFan is from Canada? That is even better! I like Canadians, the more at CIII the better! ;)

22. Uilmuteiz

Dec 4, 2000
    *Yay*

^_^
    |=|=|
    |
    / \

23. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Uilmuteiz, I was actually thinking about making some king of necklace with the Canadian flag through it to hang around my neck. I don't want to put any kind of sticker on my armor or anything. Any yes Lady_Lucas, I AM CANADIAN!! Sorry, I had to say that! there was a beer commercial with that slogan! I love it! As for the Ultimate fan thing, I can understand where Kenobi is coming from. I too have a fairly good sized collection, but that doesn't make me special or anything. I am a fan! I camped out for both Episode 1 and 2!! And I will do it again when Episode 3 is released. I LOVE Star Wars!! It is my favorite thing in the world!! All I was trying to say is that Kenobi didn't have to rant about sometihng like that in this forum, that's all. I apologize for offending anyone in here. This is an AWESOME forum for us!! Let's keep it going!!

24. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    ^Just to clarify I wasn't questioning your devotion at all. I was just trying redefine "ultimate fan"

As to this forum/thread i agree it is a good thing I have seen a lot of good ideas. I really like Uilmuteiz so far. It seems far and well rounded.

25. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    to make negative comments about George W. Bush, and our election process
    OMG...you got bent outta shape over that? I almost forgot about that all together! Half the country made comments (and some very valid) about that election, it was a mess! I thought it was a very witty comment by Mr Daniels. (and it did get a good reaction from the crowd)

this contest is for the COSTUMERS first and foremost, and we have a right to informed judges
    Can I volunteer to direct traffic at the next costume contest?
    I'd like to thanks you all for coming today, egos to the left(into a broom closet)...fans to the right(on stage)...move along!

So while you accused me of insulting everyone in 501st/Rebel Legion because I think they shouldn't be the majority of the judging panel...you just called EVERY fan (who wasn't in the competition) "uninformed"? I have no problem with having some 501st and RL on the judges panel, but I think having SW celebrities and costuming professionals can give a more "expert" opinion of the authenticity of SW costumes then even the best fan costumer. These people have made a career working on such projects.

and our recommendations
    You mean YOUR recommendations...and no, we're not giving you "best in show" just for showing up!

Sheesh Boskone_Kenobi, who blew up your Death Star?
    Right on brother!!!! :D And no, that wasn't baiting on my part...but someone had to stand up to all the ego-centric whinning going on in his posts. The 2 things I remember most about the contest was:

1) some really great costumes
    2) alot of really poor losers complaining the moment they walked out the door (not that participating wasn't an acomplishment in itself)

I too have a fairly good sized collection, but that doesn't make me special or anything. I am a fan!
    If more people approached the costume contest (and costuming in general) that wouldn't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.