main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 SWC22 Costume/cosplay thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 8, 2018.

1. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Where on the site is that?

2. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    The VIP email

3. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Are they not planning to tell everyone else? Because this is going to be a disaster.

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It sucks, since this would be the first Celebration without lightsabers on the floor. Though I'm not sure how serious they are about it - clearly people are going to show up with proper ligthsabers, so this definitelly needs to get advertised more broadly, beyond VIPs.

P.S. It's crazy that they're essentially outsourcing informing people to simply people sharing info tidbits on forums and in groups...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Oh, there will be riots if they turn people away. Especially with so many people not staying on site. It's far too late to get the word out now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  6. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Things that aren't allowed are important and this info should have been sent out to all pass holders. I've realized that I really don't get any emails from ReedPop, despite signing up for updates back when Chicago was announced. Not even in the spam folder.

ChrisLyne and credar like this.
  7. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    It says plastic lightsabers are allowed. I assume these ultra sabers are not like Force FX sabers?

8. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    They are the super expensive kind

9. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Some ultrasabers are similar price to Force FX, but generally, I think both of these wouldn't count as plastic sabers (like Hasbro), since they also have a metal pommel.

10. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I’m starting to wonder if my 3D printed Qi’ra gun is going to work. It’s printed with those 3D filaments ans has orange caps at the end but considering how picky they are...

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Words are going around rhe KOTOR group that you shouldn't panic yet, and that there might not be as bad as you think.

Still it's way to late to spread this kind of info. People are already travelling to Chicago or might have packed their bags.

Skickat från min SM-A520F via Tapatalk

ChrisLyne and Padme501st like this.
  12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    And here I am sat in the airport with 2 sabers packed. This info is way too late! And only VIPs are being told?! Crazy!

13. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm wondering if you're just carrying the pommel that they would care. It's essentially a flashlight or a coffee mug without the blade.

I'll be weaponless this time out. Generally it's the way to go for conventions in this day and age. Many don't allow weapons at all.

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I can't find official info on this, but people in the FB group were also mentioning no metal water bottles. If that is correct, it would also exclude travel mugs. I need to look into this, cause I have a sweet water bottle and don't want it to be taken away or to have to take it to my hotel.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  15. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Any scoop on Running of the Hoods, @Obi Anne ? *cheeky* I'm not approved, but orange suit is finished, I have a fully operational ice cream maker and fake 'stache. You mentioned some time ago that it maybe open to all, but I couldn't find info. I'm packing rn and deciding if I should bring the ice cream maker... :p

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out, although trying to say Disney is liable seems like a stretch to me.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This is quite a fall for them. Just a few years ago they were considered one of the top providers in cosplay costumes. And they always had a strong presence at major conventions. But now it's likely that many conventions will start to cut ties with them. I doubt they'll be able to recover from this, nobody will trust buying from them anymore. It'll be interesting to see who steps in to fill their shoes.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've stuck warning threads in Collecting and Costuming & Props.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That's the part I'd be most interested in.

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I don't think the Disney link will stand up (they almost certainly can just say we were unaware orders weren't being fulfilled and cut the license) but it sounds like the beginning of the end for Anovos. I read in one of the Celebration groups that the TFA Rey outfit's started arriving just before Chicago and I know they were taking pre-orders for that back in London in 2016 so I can't say I'm too surprised people have decided that enough is enough.

darthvader88 likes this.
  24. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Is there any specific reason why Anovos had a hard time fulfilling orders?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

25. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    In the article it suggests that customers cancelled so they no longer had minimum numbers need to manufacture, plus led to increase of costs, etc. But I believe at some point they made all sales final and still had issues so who knows. Not like they couldn't have made the extras and then sold them as in stock product (I know that adds costs but they could offer lower cost pre-orders/higher cost in stock to offset that and encourage people to pre-order). Sounds more like they just bit off more than they could chew and ran in to problems because of it.