main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Costumes for Next Halloween

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domino_Leia

Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2005
    I'm excited to see them. I really like the uniform of that chick's you posted, what's-her-name, but I don't know who that would translate to Quidditch. I'm wondering if the uniforms all have to be the same, pants, sweater, robes, etc, or if the teams can sort of differ. I know we don't have to follow the rules exactly, but . . .just a thought.

Oh, and btw Erin, I love your icon, that has to be the cutest one ever. I suppose that's you and Greg. [face_sick] :p

2. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I like it, but more hunt clothes, less milataristic. I'm assuming we'd do away with the epulets and the thigh highs? :p Also, I'm wondering it the jacket could loose the pointed front panels, make it more just a long fitted jacket in front maybe? Like a Victorian riding habit?
    Kit's cool with not being Seeker if she can be Keeper. :p

3. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    haha if Greg and I were snowmen that would be us... hehe.

4. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    Kyla....that coat you made is freakin' fantastic! I know you're pretty proud of it and so you should be. Great work!!

5. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    Awwww, thanks Ang! I was having a crappy day and then I read your post, and yah, all better. :) Yah, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for your help on it Liann and Terry. [face_love]

6. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    one panel done, five more to go, its not so bad just a little tedious and hard on the back :p

7. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Cool, you just need a really long mini-series for background and you're good to go. :)
    I know it sounds silly but try sitting on the yellow pages. :p None of our machines are ever at the right height. (well except maybe Angela in her wicked sewing room with a table for every purpose. =P~ ) We're suposed to sew at a height where our hands flat are on the bed of the machine with our elbows at 90 degrees, like any of us actually do that. :p But sometimes, if I'm at it for a long time I bring my computer chair out and have it really high and I put my feet on the phone book.

8. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Are you watching a movie while you do it, Liann? That always helps me. When I look up at the T.V. I realize how hunched over I am and straighten up. It also gives the eyes a break by causing them to focus on something further away.

9. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    thanks, problem is working on it at my parents, they've got the worst lights in their house. trying to sit up straight when working on it :p hopoefully won't take to long to finish then can get working on the top so can put the two together.

10. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    I bought that red fabric with the black flocked flowers on it. I'd only looked at it about 10 times and it was 40% off....again....so I got it. I'll likely use it for the underdress on my Vampy French Court dress. Unless I find something I like better. I knew if I didn't get it I'd kick myself later.

11. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I got the green taffeta I've been coveting for 75% off today.[face_dancing]
    I keep looking at the french court dresses, I think they fall into the same catagory as quilts and dolls, the gaudier the better. This is going to be an excersise in curbing my moderation, if that makes any sense. :p

I got a bustier for Christmas that I think I'm going to base a pattern on and make about half a dozen in different lengths. :)

12. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    awesome :)

so you doing the french court in the green taffeta?

13. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Nice score on the fabric, Terry!

14. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    And the girl was telling us about the great sale they'll have on New Years day, so I pointed out the sale I was getting getting already. :p

Yup, green it is, suprise suprise right? :p I'm thinking with topaz trimings.

15. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Well....it's not like we won't be up early already to watch the parade. Shall we make a group outting of it?

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    might be up for that, technically supposed to be sleeping but oh well can sleep later. need to get some gold to with my french court was thinking maybe the small matching gold diamonds that you have for your dress angela or something that coloured gold

17. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    I'd be up for that.

So Terry, how pissed would you be, if I did this costume to match your guy's French Court dresses?

18. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Liann....the stuff with the gold diamonds is for the March feast dress for me. Have I see what you're making your French Court dress out of?

Kyla.....I think you should do that but wear it at the same time I wear which ever Be Goth I do this year. I think a couple of others will be doing Be Goths as well. It'll be fun!

19. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    its blue and gold the same line of fabric but a different style to what your other fabric is, bought it last time we went shopping.

20. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Ohhhh yeah! Now I remember. Soooooo pretty!

21. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    Ok Ang, I can do that. :) But I still don't wanna do a French Court dress. Are you guys gonna do your hair all vertical? ha ha You will all look awesome.

22. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I'd be up for it. I'm on another trim quest now, I seem to spend most of my time on trim quests laterly.
    Cute Kyla. :p I like the big wigs but then I like the Mme de Pompadore era hair too. Since I'm using mostly her portraits for ideas for the dress I think the smaller hair might be the way to go.

23. BFett333

Jun 22, 2003
    Wow.....I almost made a HUGE mistake with my Luminara. About a year ago I started the cloak. Cut it all out.....started sewing it together...was pretty happy with it. Especially because of the fabric I found that was pretty close to the real deal. So yesterday, after finishing two other items, I decided to haul it out and finish it up. The sleeves had been holding me up. I just couldn't think of how to do them properly. There aren't a lot of good pictures and between the headpiece covering the shoulders and her arms being up in some fashion in all of the pics it was driving me mad.

So I decide to take a look at the pictures with fresh eyes. I finished up the body of the cloak......wore it around a bit....loved how it flowed.....and then sat down with THE book. Well crap....that's when it hit me. I'd TOTALLY done the entire cloak completely wrong. There it was in a picture that was not only in the book but also as part of my C3 photos I bought which was on a stand out in the open in the costume room. I panicked. I knew I'd never luck out and find that fabric again. I started surfing to see if I could find anything remotely close online. I hopped on the 501st chat room and my partner in crime from Philly happened to be on. I told her.....and swore a lot. She asked....."is there enough to do it the right way?" My gawd. Such a simple question but I hadn't even checked. I just assumed because normal cloaks take so much fabric that there wouldn't be. But sure enough, there is!!

Basically there is virtually nothing to this cloak. If you look at the picture in THE book of Luminara when she has her one arm almost at shoulder height, bent and parallel to the floor, you can see clear as day that there are no sleeves. No sleeves....no construction really of any kind. Basically this is a big rectangle which you fold in to the middle from each side, sew a short seam for shoulders and attach a hood. The "arm holes" sag to the sides, just like in the pictures. Viola.....looks exactly like hers. Thank gawd I'm short and can use the fabric that way. Gah! Disaster narrowly missed!

I test fit it this morning with pins thinking that I must have just been delirious last night but nope....it works.

For the next costume day I'm going to have all kinds of stuff for you guys to help me mark for hemming....hehehe Oh....and I've changed my mind about which Medieval dress I'm going to do. I'm using the other pattern that I bought at the same time as my first choice. The more and more I think about it, it just isn't right. It's totally the wrong time period. So I'll go with the other one. I have enough fabric for it so all is well. http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=43&startrow=1 It's pattern 9929 - I'm doing the version shown in burgundy.

Has anyone seen this pattern yet? http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4954=x&TI=10013&page=1 I don't know what the heck I'd make it for but the version with the skinny skirt is amazing!

24. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    great on the cloak. that medieval pattern will look great. have seen that new pattern but never saw the skinny skirt, very cool

need to get back to sewing. only have 1 1/2 panels of my skirt done, gets boring real fast.

25. Domino_Leia

Nov 4, 2005
    Crazy Ang, good to hear you got everything sorted out.

If I can make it to next costume day, I probably won't have anything to work on at the moment, so I can help lots. :)

That skinny skirt is very cool, but I'm not sure what you would use it for. I will think on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.