main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton Costumes for Next Halloween

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    shirley potters has awesome wings

thats a lot of fabric

2. geekgirl76

geekgirl76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I think I've figured out what to do but now I'm in the experimental stage. Bought wings seem to always hook over the shoulders which I don't really want, but I'm definately going to go with them if I can't get this to work.
    (as for the fabric, it's ankle/floor lenght, underdress, overdress, with lots of sleeve. so it's not actually way too much, I always get more just in case.) :)

3. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    can't wait to see it. what colour is it? Your making your own wings? I've always wanted to do that dress from ever after with the wings, but have no idea how to do them

4. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    I LOVE that fairy from Ever After. Ugh.....such an incredibly detailed costume.....but how amazing!!!

I can't believe how much I've done this weekend. I made 10 cards for a swap, cut out all the paper for three projects (15 of each) for my workshop, almost finished the Emperor costume, vaccumed, did my laundry, make Stress Relief goodie packs for 12 friends from work, went grocery shopping and to Walmart, went to work for 3 hours, held the workshop, surfed a lot for fabric, checked out the fabric store for pricing for the lunch costumes, now I'm going to either work on some work I brought home or go back and sew...hmmmmmmm.....

5. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Angela, come on over, I have tones of stuff you can do if you still have energy left over. [face_devil]

Ugh, just the wings from Ever After make me think this wasn't a great idea. :) Mine's along the same idea in that it's a Sidhe rather than a Tinker Bell type fairy. It's way less ornate, A-line, very high waist, and green. :D

6. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Wow you've been busy Angela,

It sounds fantastic terry

7. DARK_PADAWAN

DARK_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I got my fabric today and finally started! yay! I just have to get my belt material and that other stuff.

8. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    keep us updated as to how its coming along :)

9. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    I am starting my Asajj Ventress costume very soon. I hope I have it completed for Episode 3 in May. So far I have two Count Dooku lightsabers, that I will paint to look somewhat like hers. And I have the same seamstress helping me that helped me make my Harley Quinn costume.

This is going to be the best costume. (but I am still figuring out if I should wear a bald cap or slick my hair back and dye it a really lite white???)

10. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Wow, I just looked that one up...Wow. :)
    You don't have tonnes of hair so hiding it under a bald cap shouldn't be too bad. Just slick it all back and use the same make-up from your face on it. I'd definately get a bit of latex to dab around the hairline though, the seams would be really visable with the white pancake.

I've caved and am starting to cut out my dress, I was going to wait till I had a body form to fit it to but it was calling me. (and this way I get to hide downstairs, away from the humming. :p ) The fun and joys of trying to fit something on yourself... :(

11. DARK_PADAWAN

Feb 18, 2004
    I am 3/4 way through my tabbards and and they are looking pretty good. And then tomarrow i'm going to start on the pants.

12. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    Wow Asajj Ventress, thats going to be cool. I'd say go with the bald cap.

I got the sleeves done for my arwen dress, they turned out really well, they're a little long but thats ok, i decided to make my own trim for the neck line, it looks good so far, just need to run out and by another size bead so i can continue.

Terry were you able to stiffen you wings?

13. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    I've got them almost where I want them with non-tacky glue :) They take a day to dry so it's slow going. If it's not stiff enough tommorow, I'm going to try wire along the one arch if I can find something strong but really thin. The sugar worked well on the test but it didn't go so great when I tried on such a large surface.

I've started basting bits of my dress, I really have to sketch this thing out then stick with it, I've already made 2 structural changes today. :p

14. TK0187

TK0187 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2004
    This is my pic of the costume I got from StarwarsShop.com: http://www.geocities.com/scottd087/ScottGoodCostume.jpg
    I hope it loads, it is a pretty big file.

15. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    looks great :)

16. ms_ventress

Aug 10, 2004
    I know that this is for next Halloween/ Episode 3 stuff but these are some pics of my Harley Quinn costume for this Halloween. I just got the mask yesterday, and I made the eye sockets bigger, and got some nice white face paint. But I don't have the face paint on in the picks. Just a teaser sample!

Enjoy!

http://www.gearmedia.net/images/erins/harley1.jpg

http://www.gearmedia.net/images/erins/harley3.jpg

17. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Very Cool. :) Teaser is right, I want to see the whole thing. :) Are you going to white out the elastics holding the mask on?

I just got a sleeve in. I swear my hands are shaking and I have to stop for a coffee/smoke break. I don't know why I have so much trouble with them. This one went in great so the next one should be upsidedown and backwards. :p

18. ms_ventress

Aug 10, 2004
    Yah, the black elastic string came with the mask. I am going to look for that invisible stuff or white stuff since my skin will be white anyways!

Thanks,

I will post up more pictures soon.

19. DARK_PADAWAN

Feb 18, 2004
    OY! I need to know what to do cause i only have one undershirt but there is supposed to be 3 and i'm not sure what i'm going to do because I don't have time to sew 2 more I'm not too sure what to do.

20. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    O.k. it's one light coloured one, one dark coloured one, then the cloth tabards, then the leather tabards isn't it? I think you're adding a shirt instead of the cloth tabards. How much fabric do you have left?
    There is the trick of adding an inside "dicky". Make a second band on a length of fabric tacking it into the shirt. I'd use the first 4 inched of the shrit pattern to get the right curve then I'd tack it to the inside of the band seam (main shirt) so you don't have a visable seam. This won't work if the fabric is too light or you're putting a dark under a light but for this it might work.
    I have no idea if any of that was understandable. :p

21. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    looks great Erin, can't wait to see the whole thing. I saw your dvd pics on the padawans guide, the one with the lightsaber looked really cool.

found a great pic of the belt buckle for episode 1 battle outfit so i can finish that off. I'm thinking i'll do it in sculpy

your dress sounds like its coming along really well Terry :)

22. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Remember to make it on the thick side, sculpy tends to not take pressure well. (Kit's princess Leia belt is toast) Is it structual or more decorative?
    My dress ended up being too big. I'm so paranoid about cutting it too small I went the other way. :( I've got it pretty much done, but since I have to take it in I haven't hemmed any of it yet.

23. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    much better to be too big than too small :)

for the buckle I was hoping to glue it onto the buckle i have now, does sculpy glue well to other objects? it definately just decorative.

I can't believe your dress is pretty much finished already.

24. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    I would think if you give the surface a bit of a sand, Liann it should glue well.

I made The Emperor's brooch yesterday out of Fimo. I'm thrilled with is so far. Just have to paint it and hopefully not wreck it...LOL

The Vader undersuit is coming along very nicely. I'm absolutely pleased with it so far! A little time consuming sewing all of those lines.....but well worth it in the end!

25. geekgirl76

Mar 29, 2002
    Sculpy usually glues really well, what's the buckle made of? With metal you might need to use hot glue (which runs the risk of popping off at inopportune moments) but like Angela said, if it's sanded it should work.

Vader Undersuit: Ugh, I can see going buggy eyed on something like that, they're what, a 1/2 inch apart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.