main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Costuming in the SFFG

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Jairen, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    So, who's up for it?

I know that Dave has got the bug recently, having worn a Sandtrooper outfit at an event. He couldn't stop raving about it lol.

I have my wookiee ongoing (though currently on hold due to severely limited funds). I now also have the beginnings of my rebel pilot, another idea that was bandied around a few times about perhaps building a squad up from the members.

Anyone interested in costuming, let me know and I'll do out best to get you linked into the right places for information and where to get stuff :D

2. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    i have the jedi of course

i am in the process of making the following:-
    Biker Scout
    X-wing pilot formal
    X-wing pilot
    Luke ROTJ

the first 2 i would like to have dont by december!!

3. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i have the jedi of course

i am in the process of making the following:-
    Biker Scout
    X-wing pilot formal
    X-wing pilot
    Luke ROTJ

the first 2 i would like to have done by december!!

4. Yaddle_wisewoman

Yaddle_wisewoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2006
    I'm going for a Scout Trooper costume. So far I have Helmet decals (!)

There i've said it, so now i'm going to get folk asking how far i've got with it!!

Possibly may do a Jedi costume too but that involves sewing :rolleyes: possibly.

Very tempted to do an ewoke or a Jawa cos of my height, ie shorty.

Would be good if we could do a costume source thread? Thats if it doesn't contravene any copyright issues.

5. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    its been suggested before. i think its easier to go to costumes and props in the fan actities area

6. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Emma, there will be a costuming resource thread up on regional soon, bear with me :)

7. Yaddle_wisewoman

Aug 7, 2006
    That'll be brill Tim!

8. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    we goin to have somebody modding that so they they can cut out the useless rubbish and just give us the info - the costuming and props area is anoying to go to cause u have to go thru page after page looking for the relevant info

9. Yaddle_wisewoman

Aug 7, 2006
    I thought a good idea would be a thread started with a posting listing all the costumes folk are interested in. Then under each costume would be a list of websites / RL sellers thought to be relevent and good to buy from.

Then people could reply post their newly found sources with review comments underneath.

The starting post could then be edited with updated sources decided to be relevent.

Then all you need to do is check on the opening post and thus not forced to trawl through all the posts unless you want to comment on what others have found.

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    :D As Emma said, the first post can and will be edited by me, so I can keep adding new info. I'm going to look into having seller info, it's a fine line on here, but I'll see what we can do. But the first post will be all the resources as we find them, any posts afterwards can be for people asking for help, etc. It's about providing info and support for FF-UK costumers and people interested in costuming.

11. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    may i suggest the nicking the sticky thread they have on costumes and props then? cause thats exactly what they do in there. they list the costume and then all the links and its is updated occasionally with new info :)
    perhaps you could have sub categories for each part of a costume...

12. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    rjk88 is right, the thread in the costuming and props forum is superb, however I would be interested in seeing if the thread in the Regional Forums would be able to provide sources in the UK for stuff, as some of the costuming bits that you can currently get from the US cost a fortune once got through customs etc.

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I'll definitely look into places you can get material in UK Phill, but as you know from on other forums, sometimes we have to go to US markets because UK just doesn't have everything.

Lil Dave, I'll check the sticky, talk to the mod of that forum, but part of the regional thread will be linking up with resources on TFN, so I may not repeat what they have to say.

14. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    sounds good!! UK links would be great :)

15. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

I know from costuming and re-enactment it is very very hard to find decent fabric shops that arent selling upholestry fabric only.

May I suggest that for costumes it really is best to use as much natural fibres as you can , believe me if you are in it all day it is appreciated. For linen (ie Jedi robes) I would suggest this place. I have bumped into Lee & co from the UKG here a few times.

http://www.reenactorsmarket.co.uk/home.htm

Wool, Linen, Cotton, heavy cotton ideal for uniforms (used by later period re-enactors)

Unfortunately good fabric shops are a rarity so if you find one, let us all know.

16. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

I know from costuming and re-enactment it is very very hard to find decent fabric shops that arent selling upholestry fabric only.

May I suggest that for costumes it really is best to use as much natural fibres as you can , believe me if you are in it all day it is appreciated. For linen (ie Jedi robes) I would suggest this place. I have bumped into Lee & co from the UKG here a few times.

http://www.reenactorsmarket.co.uk/home.htm

Wool, Linen, Cotton, heavy cotton ideal for uniforms (used by later period re-enactors)

Unfortunately good fabric shops are a rarity so if you find one, let us all know.

17. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    all the good fabric shops i know are either hard to get to or on backstreets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.