main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Could a parallel universe story involving the Legends canon work?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Sep 30, 2022.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    By that I mean, since the Jedi can time travel (sort of) as we saw in Star Wars Rebels, what if it was possible for them to see alternate realities as well and somehow, some way, they accidentally end up in an alternate reality that just so happens to be the one from the Legends canon (in other words the expanded universe before Disney purchased Star Wars and erased the old expanded universe)?

You think a story like this could work? I don't care if it's through comics, books, TV shows, or even movies. Choose any of them.

Gooch Gunray and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Sounds like the "Star Wars" equivalent to "Sliders", and it actually seems pretty interesting.

CrAsHcHaOs and christophero30 like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They could make a story where Han dies, the Emperor lives and Luke goes off to an island to hide.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ We see what you did there.

BlackRanger and christophero30 like this.
  5. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Sliders is one of my favorite shows EVER! Good call.

6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    They easily could, but Lucasfilm sees it as a huge gamble to have two major timelines going on it once. Chuck Wendig said years ago that if any more Legends content was made, it would likely be a last hoorah.

7. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    yeah

8. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I do not think it could work because I have never considered legends to be a parallel universe. Nor do I think SW should have parallel universes. Star Wars is a story about one galaxy, the different continuities do not have to be timelines alongside each other, because an internally consistent timeline is impossible in a franchise like this. The real story is the six movies, and everyone else’s adaptations don’t need to be consistent with each other.

essentialy I don’t think that canon Luke and Legends Luke should ever be able to meet. They are both the same Luke Skywalker whether in the Shadows of Mindor or Vader Down, the fluctuating biography is because he’s a fictional character who can have 50 years worth of adventures between ESB and RotJ that contradict each other

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Deliveranze likes this.
  9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Exactly how I see it. Of course, the closest to a “canon” parallel timeline is thanks to a Sequel Trilogy not existing under George and Disney deciding to make their own version of a post-ROTJ timeline, BUT the idea is that it is all meant to coincide with stories that came before and function as “one story.” An alternate prequel story doesn’t exist because any contradiction the PT has to the pre-1999 EU were vague details that were different depending on the author (the Clone Wars was a war between the Republic and the Clone Slave Masters, or a war involving Mandalorians, etc.) but there wasn’t any actual stories, outside of a one-shot 1978 Marvel comic set in the prequel era, that depicted the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the rise of the Galactic Empire before 1999.

Whether someone prefers the old post-ROTJ EU or Disney’s ST, the idea is that those stories are following the events depicted in the OT. Even when the PT was coming out, details and events changed in stories like The Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force to coincide better with the new movies being released and that is happening now with the ST too (like Vader visiting Exegol in the new Marvel comics).

I wouldn’t be too shocked if Disney announced a brand new reboot timeline in the future or reboots of the OT, PT, and ST in film, TV, books, or comic form, but the GFFA as of now has always functioned with the idea that new stories are meant to line-up with movie/live-action TV events that unfold in those respective mediums.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  10. 2 different Star Wars Universes exist the Legends/Expanded Universe and the New Canon/Disney Universe the Legends Universe stopped being continued until 2014 and only the SWTOR game is the only medium where there is new Legends content maybe 3 different Star Wars Universes exist if you consider the Lucas Universe where his versions of the Sequels with Darth Maul,Talon,Kira and Sam takes place

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2022
  11. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    None of those exist. They are just different stories based on Star Wars that don’t have continuity with other stories published in different circumstances

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    But these stories have continuity with each other in two separate timelines. There are de facto at least two Star Wars continuities.

Also the fact that you don’t personally interpret things in such a way does not mean it could not work.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  13. Probably New Canon Luke and Legends Luke would never have met yes but the Universe and the Continuity of Legends exists it is a different Universe from the New Canon but it is no longer continued that is like to say that the Ultimate Marvel Universe no longer exists or never existed because it is not continued anymore or the Pre New 52 DC Universe

For now there is no connection between Legends and New Canon Universes but Legends exists but Im surprised that the SWTOR game has not included World Between Worlds in the game just to make a connection with Legends with the New Canon

But well you could think that the Legends Universe was destroyed before the New Canon Universe was born as it happens with the DC Comic Universes

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2022
  14. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Alternate timelines and time travel seem to be more of a Star Trek thing than a Star Wars one. I do like alternate universe stories, just not sure if I would want Star Wars going heavy into that realm.

15. Two different Official Star Wars Universes exist the EU/Legends was an Universe licensed by Lucasfilm even if some fans consider the EU/Legends not be part of the Lucasverse Legends was an Official Star Wars Product

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2022