main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could Ken Palpatine ever be "salvaged?"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vthuil, Jan 15, 2016.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Maybe on its own - like, if Star Wars didn't already have a character named Palpatine, and someone named "Ken Palpatine" showed up, that wouldn't be too bad. In a vacuum that's not nearly as silly as some names we've been graced with over the years. But unfortunately the last name "Palpatine" can't help but bring an awful lot of baggage along with it, and the first name "Ken" struggles a bit to live up to it.

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Ken is a strong and powerful first name. Worthy of any last name.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

Gamiel and The Positive Fan like this.
  3. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    I mean, is it any worse than Sheev?

Nom von Anor and Gamiel like this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Ken doesn’t actually have a last name, and neither do Triclops or Kendalina, for that matter. Who’s to say he wouldn’t be Ken Moore after his grandmother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Had once in an rpg a character who claimed/believed himself to be Palpatines illigitimate half brother, always retconed for myself that he fathered Triclops in a brief affair and their whole believe to be realted to the emperor started from there.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    well if they turn KEN Palpatine into REN Palpatine... we have the founder of the Knights of Ren... Snokes first apprentice? Now change the sex and you turn REN into REY... magic!

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is self-explanatory. He’s illegitimate. In fact, he’s the illegitimate child of an illegitimate child. If this were GoT, he’d be named Ken Space.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Being illegitimate didn't stop Allana from ascending to the Throne of Balance.

9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Allana was not illegitimate... merely a well kept secret hidden offworld like Anastasia for a time.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't recall Tenel Ka and Jacen actually marrying in Dark Nest.

11. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Not sure if in SW a marriage needs to be legitimized for the child to inherit. They don´t seem to have a bias against illegitimate children. My guess is if Tenel Ka says "Allana is my daughter" than she is and that´s it. And even if there is a stigma, childs can be legitimized by royals.

ColeFardreamer and Iron_lord like this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Indeed, as Anedon said, illegitimate children only can exist in societies that place value in marriage and offspring from within a marriage valued higher than offspring outside of it. Hapan society though is different as Taa chume and Tenel Ka both have shown. It is not frowned upon there, at least not for the Queen/Queenmother to have partners and relations different from the galactic norm. Hardliners sure prefer kids from Hapan lineages over outsiders but that is not the same as illegitimate children. Given the low status of males in Hapan society, even male nobility as mere sperm donors, its very likely that illegitimate children is a concept that does not exist on Hapes.

I'd be more worried about Kuati nobility and their practices which are a hell lot more confusing.

FS26 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I bet some Imperial Lord made him a deal, do this and that for me and I restore your name to Palpatine :p It happened on Game of Thrones! Given the Imperial Remnant is located in the Galactic North on the map... come on, let us have a King in the North!

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    FWIW, I've retracted my feelings on the name 'Ken Palpatine' since I made this thread. I mean, his grandfather is named Sheev.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sheev, Triclops, Ken.

Honestly, Ken is pretty boring and needs to step up his name game.

Daneira likes this.
  16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The thing that bothers me about Triclops’s name is that it’s obviously derived from “cyclops”, but the part of that word that means “eye” is just “ops”. And Triops sounds a lot less dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FS26 likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the He-Man series had a villain with the name Triclops, as well.

Gamiel and ColeFardreamer like this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The name Triops is already taken though by these little crabs here, thus unuseable without wrong allusions:

[​IMG]

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You are right. Even if he spelled his name Tri-Klops

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Not Ken per se...but a child of Sheev. Maybe a daughter who Zahn would have introduced in the Spectre of the Past / Vision of the Future who comes to Pellaeon after his talk with the Moffs about making peace. She has proof of who she is, is Force sensitive (more of a Grey Jedi than Sith) and gets herself established as Empress creating more of a kinder, gentler benevolent dictatorship in the Empire.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know that he's illegitimate? And by what standards would he be illegitimate?

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    At least he wasn't Kenny Palpatine.

And I think Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. show that Ken is good, dynastic-sounding, name.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    You do know you just described Jaina Solo? Make the cut ROTS script piece canon where Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is his father... and you got a direct lineage to Jaina! :p

24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I stopped reading a few books into the Vong storyline. Stuff after that was not interesting to me and Jaina's arc was one of them.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    We'll call her Sheeva whose name like Plappy 'ol Sheev is was derived from Shiva, a Hindu deity of destruction.