main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Could or Should Revan return to Disney Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starwarsfan9000, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    So I don't know if this question has been proposed before (It probably has but I can't find any new up to date thread about it) so as the title says could we or should we see Revan return in the Disney canon?

A lot of people have been talking about the deleted Clone Wars scene where he almost became canon (Although it isn't newly released as some have thought it's been around for awhile but not everyone has the Blu-Rays. I don't and I guess it wasn't easy to find online prior to this. I think I saw it once and never again until now) which isn't really a factor in what I think could make him canon again since it was made years ago I'm talking more about current things that could make it happen.

For one the Mandalorian VS Jedi war from the Old Republic is canon or some kind of version of it is because of the latest Rebels episode. Revan did play a part in this battle in Legends so whose to say he didn't play a role again in the new canon? Obviously things would be tweaked.

Another reason I could see him returning is because of how his views fall in line with the various Force beings we've encountered. Someone who fell between light and dark and eventually came to master both like the Bendu has. Well until TOR when he separated into two beings and had to reestablish his connection and combine his two halves into one again but that's another story.

One last reason is that with the return of Thrawn into canon logically they'l be looking for another character to reintroduce into canon that was really popular in Legends. Revan is probably the second highest after Thrawn I imagine and given the push for his Black Series figure I have a feeling the Story Group are hard at work trying to figure out a way to reintroduce him and once they do they'll reveal him in a big way like they did Thrawn at Celebration.

But what do the rest of you think? Could you see Revan coming back, should he come back or do you want him to come back at all? A lot of people seem to but I know that the internet doesn't speak for the mass majority of people sometimes (I do get tired of this idea of "we" want this and that when you don't entirely know what everyone wants. What I may want to see may be different to what a majority of people want to see and vice versa) I'd be up for it as long as it makes sense and is done in a logical way that both honours the character and what came before but works for the new canon going forward like what they are doing with Thrawn so far.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    YES! He is my all time favorite EU character.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Y'all would probably be mad at about how they'd portray her ;)

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not if they stick to how he was previously portrayed.

:p

spicer likes this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I like it's pretty likely that Darth Revan will be reintroduced for a few reasons.

1) Cool name

2) Cool look

3) Malachor's back, so duh

But, I think as Taalcon and Atton suggest, the character will almost certainly be a woman the next time around, so anyone whose fondness for the character is predicated entirely on fanboy wish fulfilment is gonna have a bad time.

She'll also definitely use a crossguard lightsaber.

A Sith Lord in a skirt? ;)

As an aside, I'm not sure I really want to encourage a whole plethora of "Should X return to Disney canon?" threads. I'll leave this one for now, as we left the Vong thread, but if they keep cropping up, I'll suggest a catch-all one.

Revanfan1, Erkan12 and Trip like this.
  6. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Don't plan on making anymore should this and that return threads because there aren't much more I could see them doing at the moment that could make sense.

Although what makes you think Revan could be a woman for sure if he returns to canon? I know it was the alternate option for KOTOR but when it came to Legends going forward he was a male and while they haven't brought much back yet into canon what things they have brought back they've mostly kept it in tact with the original by making it the same gender and character just with a slightly altered history.

I wouldn't mind a female Revan and it would be an interesting deviation from the Legends version and could make a new canon version unique while paying homage to what came before but I don't know what evidence there is to suggest that Revan could be female if reintroduced at least at this moment in time.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    If they make Revan a female it will be the biggest letdown ever for me. I've gone through hundreds of hours of gaming, and he is male.

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Yes, but his past should be kept intentionally vague. The BIGGEST, and I do mean biggest mistake in Bioware's mishandling of Old Republic was not knowing what to do with Revan, and falling flat in the classic mistake of knee capping a favorite character for the sake of "drama". And that's even worse that knowing little about a character.

lookameatbag likes this.
  9. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Whilst I'd be interested to see where they would take things if they decided to do a completely fresh take on the 'Tales of the Jedi' and Kotor era I wouldn't be against Revan in the new canon, as long as they could conveniently forget everything post-Kotor 2 as I feel the character was completely mishandled/wasted in the Swtor material.

lookameatbag likes this.
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well if the Malachor in Rebels is Malachor 5, that only survived the Sith Civil War through a Dark Side Meetra Surik ending for Knights of the Old Republic 2. Then that would mean the female Sith voice on Malachor that Ezra hears is really... :eek:

11. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    Minor point, but the Mandalorian War (or some version of it) was already canon prior to the latest episode of Rebels. There was a mural depicting Mandalorian vs. Jedi combat in The Clone Wars.

12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    [​IMG]

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Kanan directly refers to this in the most recent episode of Rebels, telling Fenn Rau the Mandalorians lost the war against the Jedi.

Fenn Rau should have said: "Yeah, by cheating with a mass shadow generator! How many kyber crystals did it take to build that anyway?"

My theory is that the Tarre Vizsla spoken of in the episode (Mandalorian who joined the Jedi and built the darksaber) signed up with the Jedi during the centuries between KOTOR 2 and The Old Republic. Then Shae Vizsla took back the darksaber during Darth Malgus' attack on the Jedi Temple at the beginning of the Old Republic MMO.

Revanfan1 and wizards8507 like this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes Revan should return, but the person should be a she.

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not sure I get the implications of this gif :p

16. wizards8507

Dec 28, 2016
    Why should Reven be female? In the "old canon" Revan was light side male.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Ever consider how the players who played the legitimate and equal option of a female Revan felt when the character they identified with in KOTOR was switched out for what they would have considered an impostor in SWTOR?

Jedi Princess and Daneira like this.
  18. wizards8507

Dec 28, 2016
    Nope, but what you're suggesting would have the exact same effect in the opposite direction, so I don't see how it's any better. Changing what many players considered a male character to a female one is no more legitimate than changing what many players considered a female character into a male one.

You can't have it both ways. Either we get to create characters with the gender, gear, and personalities we want in video games while accepting we might not be playing the "official" path, or Disney makes strictly linear games that don't give the players any option other than the canon path. "Canon" and "player choice" are incompatible.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Revan appeared in the KOTOR comic by JJM. Any reference to appearance or gender was carefully avoided. I think there could have been intelligent ways to handle the Revan identity in stories going forward that would not have betrayed the user experience.

However...

It's also a key reason why I think making a character in the new canon named Revan and being given specific attributes would be a big mistake.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. wizards8507

Dec 28, 2016
    On this point specifically, I think the issue is going to come up no matter what. Even if they never introduce a canon Revan (or if they do and keep his/her details vague), we're going to get new video games down the line and those games are going to have player choice. Inevitably, people will be tweeting at Pablo Hidalgo trying to get him to provide the canon behind each and every narrative branch.

lookameatbag and Darkslayer like this.
  21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Use gender neutral pronouns, do not confirm or deny Revan's gender status.

It's really not THAT hard.

22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

It's actually why I think the Uprising game for mobile was such a great conceit. Your character, the Smuggler, is involved in events in a contained (literally) part of the Galaxy, in the iron blockade of the Anoat Sector. While reference may eventually be made to those events, it would make sense for things involving that character's identity to be muddied, not clear, or even not known to the greater galaxy. The canon version of that character would be 'A Smuggler of unidentified species or gender who was said to have [done the plot]'

If you're going to let the player choose who they are, and make it their story, with their choice, make it a story where knowing the details of that character's identity would not matter for later storytelling. Leave that as the player's character. With Kyle Katarn (or Starkiller, for that matter), the character came pre-identified. Which would have made it easy for others to run with it. However, when you allow a player to create a character, making a canonical version becomes a messy relationship. I think that's a problem the new Story Group is looking to avoid going further.

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Perhaps future games will have pregenerated characters (like the Diablo franchise) with people choosing the character they best feel suits them. Then the canon will be that this team of characters worked together in the story.

As far as Star Wars gaming goes, however, I would be happy if we got another non-freemium RPG type game anytime soon. Only Battlefront, which isn't an RPG, is the non freemium game in the new canon so far.

24. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I don't think we're too far out from a more detailed announcement.
    [​IMG]

25. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    If they want to bring any Legends characters into new canon, I would like them to bring them back as faithful to legends material as possible.

Technically speaking, the gender of Revan was established earlier in both The New Essential Chronology and the Chronicles of the Old Republic (background material for the second game, which used to be on The Sith Lords homepage). I know, that a lot of people bash SWTOR for "canon" Revan but his gender was established earlier.

IIRC Pablo tweeted, that if it was up to him Revan would be female because he played the first game in such way.