main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Could there be another sequel/prequel trilogy about Ben Solo and the rise of the First Order?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Mar 16, 2016.

?

Should there be another SW trilogy set between ROTJ & TFA about the Rise of the First Order?

This poll will close on Mar 16, 2026 at 3:53 PM.
  1. Yes

27.7%
  2. No

72.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Oh, I know Emerson's intention with that quote. I simply find that the human inclination for habit, routine and tradition is a similar inclination that drives some Star Wars fans to want consistency across the stories - including, an aversion to recasting characters. It's a conservative impulse that limits the freedom of storytellers.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012

It can be, but I think it's a good impulse, in this case. Let me ask you, would you find it at all jarring if you watched the OT with the original cast, then watched Pre-ST with a new cast in the roles, then the ST with the originals back in the roles, again? If not, then I'd say you're probably in the minority on that. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and I envy you that ability. The new Han film may have the same issue, but to a lesser degree.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I probably am in the minority, in that case, as it wouldn't bother me at all (much as the recasts in Game of Thrones never bothered me, or different actors who playing Hamlet or Richard III doesn't inherently bother me - as long as the new actor is good, great!). Reason being that I see Star Wars as stories, not historical lore. In that context, the character of Han Solo was portrayed by Harrison Ford in the OT and in TFA. The character is not Harrison Ford. And therefore, other actors can portray him in future stories wherein the character of Han Solo is featured.

Frankly, I'm sort of excited to see what another actor will do with the role. Which is why I have also not been clamoring for Ingruber. I don't need a Harrison lookalike. Just someone who can exude that roguish charm.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know you weren't really adressing me, Pro Scoundrel but I for one would not have too much of a problem with that (seeing the original 3, recasting, then switching back in TFA), as the big 3 in TFA are much older. That gap helps make it believable IMO. I would definately prefer they explore other times in the saga storyline, but the thing that mainly attracts me here is the potentially great story elements these could have. I suppose I (and others) are willing to look past the recasting (as long as it's done well), in favor of enjoying the overall story and events that occur in those films. My main point in this is that if they don't do it for another decade, I imagine after that amount of time, people would generally be more accepting of it.

I would at least like to see one or more anthology films in this period-which would be much easier, as the big 3 are not necessary there.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Again, I don't mind them recasting eventually at all. It'd just to be weird for it to happen in an "in-between trilogy" after seeing the original actors in the trilogy that came before it, and the one that comes after it. It'd just be jarring.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Just as long as these stories are told. I would love to see Luke train new Jedis and Han fly the Falcon post-ROTJ with Chewie,his wife Leia and son Ben across the galaxy against new enemies in new sectors of the galaxy against new enemies besides the Empire in whether a trilogy of live action films,animated films or a trilogy of hardcover novels by Timothy Zahn or James Luceno.

I think there should at least be a Luke Skywalker anthology film set shortly after ROTJ where Luke travels across the galaxy to gather knowledge to build his Jedi Academy but faces Imperial Remnants along the way and flies his X-Wing too. That would make a good anthology film for the future. Then at least a Ben Solo anthology film where he flies the Falcon or even travels with his dad in the Falcon against some unknown enemies in the galaxy and ends up being seduced by the Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Either way these stories should be told on the big screen as was Anakin's fall as Vader no matter how whiny it was.

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Episode 6.2, 6.5, and 6.7?? No thanks. I'm open to the story being told in a single anthology movie, but not a main saga film (let alone three main saga films).

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Argh no. Flashbacks, a bit of exposition, fine. Give out bits and pieces, but God no, no more Prequels.

9. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Leave this to an animated TV show instead.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yup!
    Or animated movies, with proper feature film budgets.

11. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Here is a link to a recasting the Big 3 for a post-ROTJ anthology movie:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/recasting-the-big-3.50039466/

I think there is an interest in seeing a Big 3/Post-ROTJ anthology movie or trilogy possibly with Ben Solo and a First Order forming in the Unknown Regions and perhaps the Big 3 & Ben having adventures in the Unknown Regions investigating rumors of a new empire forming in the UR and of course Luke training new Jedis and losing his New Jedi Order to the Knights of Ren and Ben Solo becoming Kylo Ren and ending with the construction of Starkiller Base in the UR.

Jonipoon likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

It makes the most sense 4 the next CGI SERIES.

I can c the plot now......."In the almost 30 years of peace between the fall of The Empire & the rise of the New Order things weren't always peaceful. Sometimes you have to defend that peace"

STAR WARS: The New Republic

And 4 the love of God TV-PG minimum Dave!

13. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Dave Filoni also suggested that Rebels may extend beyond its original timeline and have seasons set between ANH and ESB, and between ESB and ROTJ. These reasons would undoubtedly have the big 3 in either lead roles or big supporting roles.

But, taken the childish nature of Rebels, I'd rather have them make a whole new TV show with more mature themes similar to The Clone Wars.

Or..... they could allow PIXAR to make an animated Star Wars film.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  14. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    More likely it will be told in book, or comic book form.

15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Rebels and clone wars are both childish but rebels seems to be getting more mature. And I would think it would be cool to not only make a show about the first order but show other factions of the empire that broke off too.

16. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I would love to see the fall of Ben Solo and the New Jedi Order. Having that in some visual medium would be much more powerful than a book or comic. I think an animated series would be the best way to go about it, but not on any of the Disney channels. This series would have to be, near the end, deadly serious (literally).

It could be the heartbreaking Skywalker tragedy a lot of people wanted the PT to be.

17. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    You would have to think that if Disney are serious about stand-alone movies every 2 years then they will need to focus them on cool and marketable characters with interesting backstories. Personally I think this explains leave Kylo's backstory unshown. They can make a movie about it in a few years time. I imagine the next two movies will introduce a lot of new characters in the hope one or two prove popular enough to make origin movies about. So far Kylo is the only one who really fits the bill in my opinion. Maybe Poe too.

18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Or a live action TV show..=D=:nttrooper:

19. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Or just leave it.

The Clone Wars and Rebels are garbage in my eyes.
    The Star Wars movies have scale and scope.

Star Wars does not need to turn into Star Trek will sub standard spin offs and tv series.

Rogue One looks good and TFA was fun.

We are just over a year away from the 2nd part of the new trilogy and Rogue One looks pretty cool.

I think Disney should give Star Wars a few years rest after this batch of six movies.

In the span of six years Disney will have doubled the number of Star Wars movies from 6 to 12 I feel that fans should be given time to digest this.

A few years break and then something fresh either Knights of the old republic or go beyond into Episodes 10 11 and 12.

20. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    What kind of fancy garbage are YOU throwing away?;) The animated series allow for in depth story telling, character development and all sorts of star warsy action without as many budget restraints as a live action series would carry. They may be for younger audiences but both have proven that they are capable of very dark story telling. You're entitled to your opinion but I feel like some Star Wars fans are robbing themselves of some really great storytelling by refusing to watch the animated series.

It's their second largest audience after the films and the nuance that a series would provide means you could get into some really meaty character stuff if they follow the fall of Ben Solo as an animated series. Plus, people would be more malleable to seeing the OT characters being played by different people since it would be a format change. It's be their first series not set during an active Galactic war, so they would have to get creative with their conflict building. I really think the details of that particular story are so well suited to an animated series that it feels like the natural next step to me.

black_saber likes this.
  21. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002

Yeah but I heard that Disney might go beyond 2021 with more movies and tv shows. Its bound to happen.

22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I sure hope that Rebels doesn't intersect into the Saga. Of course that is because I personally don't like the Rebels Animated show. Other than Kanan and Hera, I don't like the other Characters. Ezra, the "Wesley Crusher" of the show, is particular annoying to me. I love The Clone Wars Animated Series though. I would like an Animated Series more in that direction certainly. :)

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I can see novel trilogy touching upon this, but film or tv no.

24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes, I concur with Master_Lok with this... A comic book or novel series will be a better idea for the story of Ben Solo's pre-Kylo life than yet another movie... But who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    at first and to a degree i still hold this view - that i do/did not want to see these character recast. my attitude slightly changed shortly after the Han Solo casting/official go ahead. like others mentioned, it isnt so bad when they go for a younger version of the same character, the thing with Han is, its probably too close *depending, i dont think we actually know that yet* - just from the overall look of the actor playing him, etc.
    it was different with Obi-Wan because you see him 20+ years younger and start off with seeing him even younger than that, so it works. Han is slightly more jarring. however, if that version of Han shows up between ANH and TFA, i dont think it works. thats the sort of position thats been held from the release of the PT onwards - including the Han Solo film.
    i think its really contrarian to just say 'ha - nerds, why cant you just get over it' as if thats even an argument. SW has been built the way it has and that deserves respect - use the creative minds being paid in the roles they have to develop something new or outside the constraints already set. its cheap to go back and 'reimagine' something, reboots, etc etc. of course that comment is also fairly cheap - reboots can be good and have been before - there just needs to be a reason beyond 'this will make money'. 50 years from now with a 'conclusion' to the story, sure - go ahead and remake/reboot/reimagine.

the idea of going back and doing the PT to the ST is a cool one - i just dont see it working the way that i would particularly like it being done - for example the OP suggests catching up with Finn could be a focus - why? he's a storm trooper kept within the ranks from a young age, who wants to see him before his story even begun? Rey's is slightly more interesting, but i think its being addressed in THIS trilogy. Kylo would obviously be the one we follow, sort of like Anakin in the PT - with Luke, Han, Leia being the other potential leads - but again, TFA has basically addressed whats gone on (and the supplementary materials) with only the answers to some questions purposefully left unanswered (assuming they get answered this trilogy too) such as the details to Luke's Order going wrong (which is only 6 years before TFA - so if we have a trilogy, does it build to this moment??), Leia and Han's relationship, Kylo/Snokes involvement in these events.

i just dont see anything that classes this as a story that needs to be told, unless the ST DOESNT give us these answers. is it going to cover 30 years?

Plus isnt TFA episode VII ?? ANH was 1 originally, but it wasnt long before it 4 - i dont imagine this happening, not with the world wide status SW has now (whichh it didnt back when ANH was released). so we have 4-6, 1-3, 7-9 and ???ST-PT.

i dont think its going to happen. a TV show or a few good novels would suffice i think. believe it or not, but peace isnt that great for story telling. and believe it or not, there was a peaceful time in this gap being touted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.