main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could this have helped Episode IX: TROS?.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by maranatusIX, Jun 13, 2021.

1. maranatusIX

maranatusIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 9, 2021
    I was mowing the lawn and an idea came to me. That would have at least made Episode IX's return of Sidious much better.
    If this idea sucks let me have it.....
    What if nearing the end of the Clone Wars, Darth Sidious knew things were going to get rough, and to ensure his survival, the real Darth Sidious acted thru a Clone for Episodes III-VI?. While the one from Episode I-II was safely hidden away.
    He finally revealed himself to Kylo, not to make him his new apprentice, he already knew how weak and susceptible he was, but to lure in Rey.....his master creation.
    Explaining to her that he has had many failures.
    An inexperienced rage filled Maul.
    An old stuck in the past Jedi in Dooku.
    And a sorry young boy obsessed with love and acceptance.
    Finally....he has an apprentice made from his own blood.
    It would have tied in all nine movies, all while having the darker, brooding Sidious from Episodes I-II back.
    He fell into the shadows after VI to give the Alliance a false confidence, taking a few steps back again and being a "Phantom Menace" once more to deal a crushing blow when they weren't looking.
    Only to not expect the entire Galaxy not to stand by and let terror be created once more, like in Episode III.
    Then have Anakin return in ghost form to join with Rey and end the real Sidious finally....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    That is an interesting idea, and welcome to the forums. What brings you here?

maranatusIX likes this.
  3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    No it doesn't 'suck', in fact it's miles better than what they did.
    They could also explain Rey's powers by saying that he had 'created' her as a fully trained Jedi, but locked her abilities away and they were accidentally awakened earlier by Kylo's mind meld.

Let's go further....how about he created Rey as a vessel for his evil spirit only to be defeated by Kylo - who was 'possessed' willingly by his grandfather's spirit.

They should have had Anakin return in TROS; he was the one who defeated Palpatine in body and therefore should have been the one who defeated him in soul.

IlhamKamaruddin and maranatusIX like this.
  4. maranatusIX

Jun 9, 2021
    I've been a fan for decades, just never had anyone to talk to about it till this forum!.
    So glad I found it.

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the challenge with that idea is that it would necessitate Vader not being in on the plan... and given that Vader knows Palpatine better than anyone, I imagine even if Vader had not been in on the plan, he would have found out. So it would still make Vader's actions and self sacrifice meaningless... and even more so if it were never even the 'real' Palpatine he sacrificed himself for. Saying that, I'm sure you've spent more time thinking about it that Abrams did...

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I'm not a fan of the clone idea, but I like the idea of Rey being his uber-creation rather than the daughter of one of his clones that looked nothing like him. Your idea is smarter as it doesn't involve a lot of head-scratching and mental gymnastics to try and make sense of it.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  7. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    No, it doesn't and it also can still be seen as working with TLJ's speech by Kylo as Rey's parents being junk traders who sold her.
    She could have been a child they were paid to adopt but they got rid of her on discovering what she was out of fear.

8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    BBM and agreed. Clone Palps definitely wouldn't have made it better for me.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The only problem with this is Darth Sidious would be full power the entire time because his clone was killed in Return of the Jedi, not his own body. Sidious in the ST created Snoke as his avatar because he is weakened must hide in the shadows out of fear Luke Skywalker will find and destroy him.

If Darth Sidious’s body is not killed in Return of the Jedi he has no reason to hide or find a new heir, he can keep going forward as he always had.

maranatusIX likes this.
  10. maranatusIX

Jun 9, 2021

Maybe, unless he wanted to wait for the perfect time to strike.
    He had to feel everyone out before he revealed himself.
    After probing Rey. He realized it was time to finally reveal that he has been in hiding for almost sixty years.
    I mean the guy brought down the Republic.
    It would only make sense he would make perfectly sure it would be OK to finally come out of the shadows for everyone to see the true Menace of the galaxy.
    Only to not count on his own blood to resist.

Like I said. It wasn't the greatest idea.
    Just trying to find ideas on how the nine movies could have been tighter.
    I do like how when Kylo first finds him.
    Sidious SORTA looks like he did in I and II

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  11. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Your ideas are a heck of a lot better than what we actually got my friend.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Interesting idea, but I don't like the idea of retconning the original films. It would be detracting from the original trilogy in a big way. But welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I like the idea of Sidious being the main villain of the saga, the nemesis of the Skywalkers. It would be a tricky task to incorporate him into a ST without detracting from ROTJ, and TROS was very clumsy about it, but I think it could have been done well with a better vision.

Trev Elyt, alwayslurking and Sarge like this.
  14. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I like the poster's suggestion much better than what we got, that's for sure.

Along those same lines, I remember having a very fun, obviously corny alternative... What if they had revealed that in the Phantom Menace and the whole PT, when we thought we were seeing a single person who was portraying both Palpatine and Sidious, the big reveal in ROS (or earlier in the ST optimally) would have been a twist back on that original twist, so that no, in fact, Palpatine and Sidious were two different people, working together as dopplegangers, perhaps they were twin brothers using dark side magic. And while Palpatine eventually became disfigured by Mace Windu and then thrown over the ledge by Vader, Sidious was still alive in the shadows, plotting to take back their Empire.

15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    . Maybe one can have amnesia :p (I'm joking) it is actually a fun idea

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TROS could have been fixed by the Emperor coming to Kylo in a hologram that he finds on the Death Star 2 and Palpatine basically gives Kylo the keys to that fleet of star destroyers and Kylo's second in command could have been a real baddy so when Kylo redeemed himself the second in command could have fought to the death - he could have been a secret Sith Lord or something but ah well JJ knew best !

Darth PJ and Sarge like this.
  17. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    The Star Wars forums here are the best on the web! Welcome. And I love your idea. I really can’t stand TROS and anything would have been better than what we got. But I’d take your concept in a parsec! :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  18. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    So would I - I've seen a lot of fanfiction that is miles better than TROS.

I did read on the leaks that apparently originally the film ended with Kylo killing Palpatine to save Rey from becoming like him, or something along that line, he dies and is then brought back by ALL the Jedi FGs, including Anakin and Luke. I often wonder if this was just fake or actually something they were going to do and changed their minds.

I think....someone, either JJ or DLF, didn't think Rey was getting enough attention, hence the way she is put front and centre throughout the entire film. The more you look at it, the more obvious it is. For much of the film Poe and Finn were little more than sidekicks, and Ben Solo was practically invisible for the final segment as Rey battled Palpatine alone. DLF had wanted a female protagonist all along, but sadly her character had none of the complexity of Leia, or Jyn Erson, or Ahsoka. I also know for a fact Abrams has a habit of indulging personal requests from his friends, hence John and Daisy wanting to work together more and Oscar wanting Poe to survive TFA. I also wonder if Rey ending up alone has something to do with Daisy mentioning that 'Rey didn't need a boyfriend' and that she 'couldn't get behind reylo'. Okay, so reylo is dead in the water, but Rey didn't end up with Finn or Poe either.

Whatever the future holds for the surviving ST characters, and I'm pretty sure they will continue in spin off materials, I'm curious to see if Rey ever HAS a love interest.
    I couldn't care less as I cannot stand any of the main three anymore but FinnRey and FinnPoe shippers may be in for a treat!

19. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I wouldn't suggest, I think, Kylo had much more complexity than Rey. At least I cared about Rey.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm beginning to suspect @sian1965 doesn't like Rey. :p

godisawesome and PendragonM like this.
  21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    And likes Kylo....;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.