main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Could this trilogy end with a "dark side victory"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MrElculver2424, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    His actual speech sounding more like a speech that many a power-mad wannabe dictator would deliver. It's HOW Domhall Gleeson delivered it, and aesthetics, that were Nazi-esque.

But the thing about the FO being almost cult-ish in their fanaticism, brainwashing people almost from birth to be obedient to the system, and they're leader being called "Supreme Leader," sound more like North Korea than the Nazis. Also they seem to lack any of the bigoted racial, ethnic, religious policies that the Nazis had either.

2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Actually, that sounds much more similar to neo-Nazism than it does to North Korea.

The second detail, the brainwashing part, it does indeed sound more like North Korea currently, but you can equally make a comparison to Third Reich youth indoctrination or Imperial Japan or really any other insular dictatorship. We still have no idea about their political agenda, if they have any. With such lack of characterization, what immediately “pops out” about the FO is the aesthetics and how they sound like. And when you have a very-white-man leader shouting a Hitler-sounding speech in his Hugo Boss-inspired outfit, most people will automatically assume “Space Nazi”.

And this was intentional I believe. JJ Abrams did say that the inspiration behind the FO was “what if Nazis went to Argentina and started working together again.”

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Except that we see that they have women/POC/WOC amongst there ranks, and their leader is an alien. And yet never once are they treated any differently than anyone else.

So I don't see much Nazi-esque ideology here, just aesthetics. The ideology seems more generalistically authoritarian.

4. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I hope not. A lot of my favourite fantasy/fiction/novel/comic/series...etc., stuff is entering the "I don't care anymore" zone...

It may be because the good people become jaded and cynical and grey and not so good anymore and they are hard to distinguish from the bad ones... it may be because no matter how hard they try everything gets ruined again and again and you start to wish everybody dies so the cycle of pain and disaster can end... it may be because the plot doesn't advance and the story becomes stale, or because everything gets derailed and the story is no longer about what it used to be...

But I still enjoy Star Wars and care about the characters... I don't want to give up on them.

If the story becomes one in which good never triumphs and evil keeps taking more and more from the main characters until they lose everything they care about and die one by one... well ***k that. Rogue One worked because we knew the protagonists' sacrifices were worth it. The PT worked because we knew Good would win in the OT... but I'm not interested in watching Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, C3PO and R2D2 suffer and fall one by one only to end with a draw and a "and the war goes on forever" ending...

christophero30 and cut-of-space like this.
  5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Answer: They would have lost a war and been successfully bancrupt 7 times the past 50 years.

La Calavera likes this.
  6. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Would I like a dark ending? Yes. Is it very likely to happen? No, not under Disney. Also I don't want another trilogy, I want The Skywalker Saga to end with Episode IX

7. KamenSentaiMetalHero

Dec 19, 2017
    Thank you, that's exactly what I want to happen

LunarMoth likes this.
  8. KamenSentaiMetalHero

Dec 19, 2017
    That's the point

9. KamenSentaiMetalHero

Dec 19, 2017
    So a bittersweet ending

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Very doubtful.

11. VengefulRepublic

VengefulRepublic Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2016
    The likely outcome is that the trilogy ends on a positive note. But consider this, in all probability Kylo Ren will have a lightsaber duel with Rey. Will it really be satisfying to see him just lose again ? He'll be the only villian to lack a victory at all in lightsaber combat in the SW saga. There is absolutely no suspense and this further undermines an already lackluster cast of antagonists. This wouldn't have been a narrative issue if they had Kylo Ren actually win the initial round. Poor story writing.

leopardhk47 and BoulderFaceplant like this.
  12. BoulderFaceplant

BoulderFaceplant Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2017
    I honestly, HONESTLY hope they just wrap this train wreck up with a light side victory and skip ahead another 200 years or so. Even if you think these movies are good, it’s time for the Darth chain of events to end.

Skipping ahead by that long would leave us with a fresh slate and would allow fans to consider the EU as part of the canon again.

13. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    They goofed by having “broom boy” in episode 8, because a dark side victory showing Kylo walking down between flanks of Stormtroopers and officers to take his place as leader of the new Galactic Empire, followed by the broom boy shot would have been the perfect way to wrap this trilogy up.

14. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    This is good question, and something that JJ, will have to deal with. He had her, in his words, “kick his ass”. Now what is the payoff in the end of ix?

15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It could, but I hope not. The prequels ended with a dark ending (they had to), and TFA and TLJ pretty much undid the happy ending of the originals (at least as far as the main characters go).
    It really should've been Luke and Leia who rebuilt the Jedi Order and Republic, respectively. But I hope Rey and Co. can succeed where they failed. I'd actually like to see a few minutes of the state of the galaxy at the end of IX, instead of just a celebration like the end of VI.

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Ah man!!!! Tricular and Trioculus! I can't WAIT!! ;)

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Wait.... so you'd want the saga to end with failure for the heroes? Yeah, you're right. No sane studio (Disney included) would do that.

18. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I feel like it has to end on a happy note considering how many characters have been pooped on this trilogy.

19. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Or poor following of JJ and Kasdans initial outline. I don't believe for one second the initial plan was to have Ben be the final villain. He's a terrible choice to make the endgame villain. Honestly, maybe he'll turn and they'll go really crazy, and actually have him and Rey destroy ALL of the first order in the end. Every bit of it.

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No - if EP10-12 was happening then Yes...........

21. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It already happened in RotS, and it can't be the way the entire saga ends.

22. VengefulRepublic

VengefulRepublic Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2016
    My understanding was that there was no overarching story for the entire ST, which explains why a movie like TLJ could result. I think Mark Hamill confirmed this.

23. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Yeah, there's no way IX ends with a dark side victory now.

I'm sure there will be some dark moments, but I honestly don't know how JJ is going to choose to wrap this up. The field is wide open for him to really do anything he wants since TLJ took the focus totally off of the OT generation and put it totally on the new.

I think the logical way to have IX end is to have Kylo join Rey and they tear down the entire FO together, but that's also quite predictable. I don't think they're going to lean towards killing Kylo since TLJ built him up in a way you kind of feel sorry for him a little bit, although it is still possible.

I just don't see how they can do Episodes X, XI, and XII alongside Rian Johnson's separate trilogy. I just think it's too much. So IX will have to end on a somewhat good note for the light side, and with some sort of completeness since the numbered saga may have to take a break for a while.

24. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I think that after the darker tone of VIII, JJ will conclude the trilogy on a more positive light. RJ actually gave JJ full freedom to finish the story the way he wants.

25. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I don't really see how any of the entire saga results in the good guys winning. We, the audience see endpoints with the good guys victorious, but if we think about it in terms of in-universe time, the Dark Side/bad guys have pretty long extended runs of time victorious. They're eventually stopped by the good guys, but then for how long is there peace again? Not that long if we look at it in almost a stats-like way.

If I'm the bad guy, I'm thinking, "Well, I'm probably gonna have a horrible end one day or something. Things taken away, public denouncing, some other stuff...but I won't be around anyway for that shaming. Until then...yeah okay. Worth it."