main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Council Chamber Scene - PALPATINE TALKING TO ANAKIN?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LordVader66, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    the scene when anakin is staring at padme from the temple and padme is staring at him from their apartment, anakin hears palp's voice telling him something along the lines of hey im the only one that can save your wife. however, the lines he hears aren't the actual specific word for word line palp said to anakin just before in the scene where palp lets him know hes a sith lord. So Im wondeing the only way this is possible is that palp is talking to anakin through the force?

2. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I know there was a thread on this before, but I would have to assume that he was talking to him throuh the force either that or it was bad editing.

3. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I've ran this scene in the film in my head over and over again since it is my absolute favorite scene in the prequels and only second to the Vader and Luke confrontation in Jedi in the whole saga.

Palpatine has to be using the Force to communicate with him. It's the same as when Vader communicated with Luke in Empire as Luke was escaping. They're essentially the same thing.

4. DarthCryptus

DarthCryptus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    I think he was planting those thoughts in his head. Anakin thought they were his own, while we heard them in palps' voice.

5. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Palpatine was talking to Anakin through the Force, much like Anakin was talking to Luke through the Force when Lando, Chewy, and Leia and the droids were trying to dodge him.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Why must everything be force connected ? :p When I saw the scene, I just thought it was Anakin remembering what Palps had said. A lot of times when you remember things, you dont remember them verbatim, but just the gist of it.

7. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    good point voodoopoou, it's like the telephone game.

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    You do know, don't you? If they Jedi destroy me any chance of saving her will be lost.

Palpatine was communicating with Anakin through the Force. These weren't just thoughts in Anakin's head. There are live words, words with Palpatine's voice. If they were just Anakin's own thoughts, wouldn't Skywalker hear his own voice?

9. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I know I can think in other people's voices. I dont see why Anakin couldn't.

10. DS_Emp_Viper

DS_Emp_Viper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    You think in other peoples voices? thats called being a Schizo.

11. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    yeah so what of it. I can imagine the voice of my girlfriend or my best friend talking to me in my head, it's not that hard dude!

12. obiwankoti

obiwankoti Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2005
    apparently it is. [face_laugh]

13. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I would like to point out that Anakin was not 'surprised' to hear Palpatine suddenly talking to him through the force, imagine being in a room all on your own and you hear something, you jump. There was no "you scared me half to death" as I remember his body language had me thinking he was remembering

it could be either of the two

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think Lucas purposely left it unresolved.

My opinion is that Palps is communicating with him through the Force.

If Palps had ever tried that before, Anakin would know Palpatine could use the Force - but now that the mystery is solved, he has no reason not to communicate by telepathy.

15. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    I took it as Anakin mulling things over and remembering and not literally Palpatine's voice. It seemed to be done in the same fashion as the Tusken Raider cry when Palpatine reminded Anakin about the incident with the Sand People. There wasn't a Tusken on the invisible hand and one wasn't calling to Anakin through the Force. It was used for effect - as if Ankain is remembering.

Also, there was no reaction from Anakin like when Luke reacted to Vader calling out to him. And in all other cases, the person speaking through the Force has been shown doing so, then the recipient is shown reacting.

I think Lucas was showing us what was on Anakin's mind while he was sitting in the Council chamber without having Anakin talk aloud to himself.

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I agree with Ewok. Anakin was replaying an earlier scene in his head. Usually when you recall dialogue at a later date you don't get it exactly word for word, but your memory summarizes what you remember. I think this is what was happening to Anakin.

17. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I said what Ewok said, however he put fact in his argument instead of mere opinion, oh well, shame on me :p

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's hard to tell. There's nothing concrete about what it is that we and Anakin hear. If it's from before or if Palpatine's reaching out to speak to him.

19. obiwankoti

obiwankoti Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2005
    Nice thoughts everyone!, But Just like the last thread on this very subject. It still amazes me that not one person thinks it could just be a goof in the Editing. All SW scripts go through many changes , even while in post production. this easily could have been an alternate Dialog take. Maybe Ian mcDiarmid said his lines a bit different in different takes?. and when It was Edited , peices from or different takes were used. I doubt. Lucas even noticed. of course this is also a theory, just like the rest.

20. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    In a movie, you do not hear everything the characters tell one another.

Palpatine might very well have said that earlier, after we cut back from the Sidious reveal scene to OB1 on utapau.

But I also like the idea of Palpatine speaking through the force.

In any case, it's a powerful scene, one of the highlights of the saga. A Powerful movie it is, Hmmmmm, powerful ... probably the best Faustian drama ever to make it to the big screen.

21. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think it's Palpatine talking to him using the force.

I think to myself using other people's voices all the time. That's not a problem as long as I'm in control of what the voices say. :p If they start talking randomly, though, I'm in trouble. 8-}

22. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
  23. almighty_smiley

almighty_smiley Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    i think that by now, palpatine had almost become part of anakin, hence anakin's hesitation to kill him in his office hallway and his lateness in killing him throughout the saga. so i wouldn't be surprised if anakin was hearing voices.

he always was a loon. after all, what sane human being could win a podrace?

24. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I think I would prefer it to be palpatine talking to anakin throuhg the force. Vader did it to luke when He told him he was his father...

25. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    I think that palp said this line previously in his chambers to Anakin, only we did not see it. Anakin is just remembering it at that time. in fact we don't see any of Anakins sith training. the force choke, telepathy. we just know he instantly became a sith. i know that palp has been giving Anakin lessons, but i haven't seen any training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.