main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Countdown to Episode IX: The Watch Along Thread!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I love the shot of the ships going through the foggy skyline of Coruscant. Gives such a sense of foreboding.

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    My favorite thing about this movie is the worlds introduced. I love how they show Coruscant more, and Kamino and Geonosis have a real Star Wars feel to them.

Edit: just have to say Padme is going to have major back problems in life if that's how she sleeps every night. God, that looks uncomfortable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. Coruscant at night is absolutely gorgeous too.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I know its gotten slack over the years but I actually really like Obi-Wan and Anakin's dynamic in these early scenes. It's a very different dynamic than the one we saw between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Whereas that was more a father-son relationship this is more brotherly. They argue, there's jealousy and frustration but ultimately there's a sense that they definitely care about each other.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Hermione Bagwa always sticks out to me in the diner scene because I remember very clearly when Susie Porter was announced as being cast in the film. It's funny because at the time I assumed she had some critical role in the film and yet she isn't much more than an extra.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    That was very important food she delivered in that scene. Chuck Wendig is going to write a trilogy focusing on the implications of it.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd read it. Well no I wouldn't because... Chuck Wendig.

Guidman likes this.
  8. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Not saying that the visuals are bad in this movie (outside of Anakin riding a shaak) but the use of a greenscreen in every single shot kind of takes you out of it. Outside of the Naboo stuff shot on location, I'm not sure that there was a single real set constructed. Maybe Palpantine's office or Jango's home, everything else is full CGI sets. It's my one main knock against this.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they get away with it on Kamino. It's a much more alien environment like Cloud City so location shooting isn't an option. Geonosis really needed an actual location. Wadi Rum where they shot Jedha would have been perfect.

Also even some of the shots on Naboo are heavily altered by CGI which I thought was a mistake. It doesn't look as natural as it did in TPM. That's a problem with the whole movie really.

10. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    That's the thing, you juxtapose this with TPM and it's hard not to have that feeling. I always think about the LOTR trilogy coming out at the same time as this and while it's not alien planets, it's incredible how they transformed New Zealand to fit their shooting locations.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Little Boba really annoys me. I'm fine with showing his origins but just be more subtle about it. Keep some of the mystery about the character alive. Instead of having him be an unaltered clone made specifically for Jango I'd have had him just be a normal clone. We wouldn't see him until the end of the arena battle. After both armies have left a single remaining clone would walk over to pick up Jango's helmet. That would be it. Maybe it's Boba maybe not.

I think it'd especially work well considering TCW shows how the clones develop their own unique personalities. They could have shown Boba eventually go AWOL.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Between the speeder chase and the Jango/Anakin chase, the work that Ben Burtt and Matt Wood did with the sound design is amazing. A lot of great, unique sounds. I wish they'd find a way to have Burtt do more (or anything) on the ST, but I guess sound design is handled differently now and JJ and Rian have their own people they edit with.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd love to seen a comic or something depict a hypothetical meeting between Anakin and Ben Solo. I just wonder how well they'd get along. :p

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The entire first act of that movie is really good, imo. It's when they leave Coruscant that the problems really begin.

Guidman and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. There's a lack of tension especially with Anakin and Padme's story that really bogs the film down until the third act.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    "Good job." [face_rofl]

That is literally my favorite Obi-Wan line in the entire saga and Ewan nails the deadpan delivery of it. Even after seeing the movie a million it still cracks me up every time.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    NSYNC are still my favorite jedi in this scene. Especially Joey Fatone.

cwustudent and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Mine is the Jedi you see in the background a couple times being all badass and wielding two lightsabers at once.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I have no idea why they edited the end of the lightsaber duel differently for the blu-ray release and why they did it so terribly. It so choppy now.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Perhaps to have Yoda reflecting on the ramifications of letting Dooku escape to save Anakin and Obi-Wan.
    It's a clunky edit, I know.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    It's cool that they used the Imperial March showing the seeds of the Empire born but I wished they would have held off using it until ROTS with Vader and Palpentine looking at the Death Star construction.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's it for Attack of the Clones! One PT film left to go in our watch along but it'll have to wait. Now we move onto TCW!!!

That would have been cool. I also think they should have held back on using the full theme until ROTS too but instead of the Death Star I think it would have been perfect for the scene of Anakin and the clones marching into the Jedi Temple.

Anyway, poll will be up in about an hour!

cwustudent and Guidman like this.
  23. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm super excited to rewatch TCW. I watch the live-action movies all the time, but it's been a long time since I've watched any of TCW.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Final poll results for TPM:

10: 2 votes or 12.5%
    9: 3 votes or 18.8%
    8: 2 votes or 12.5%
    7: 4 votes or 25%
    6: 2 votes or 12.5%
    5: 2 votes or 12.5%
    4: 1 vote or 6.3%
    3: 0 votes or 0.0%
    2: 0 votes or 0.0%
    1: 0 votes or 0.0%

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    POLL IS NOW OPEN!
    Rate Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    Poll will close on Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 4:02 PM CST
    After you've rated the film give your review in thread if you want!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.