main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Countdown to Episode IX: The Watch Along Thread!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Their scene together in the elevator, and their scene right before they sense the assassination attempt on Padme, are two of my favorite moments in a film that I otherwise don't like all that much. I wish we got to see more of that relationship throughout the trilogy, apart from the first thirty minutes of Revenge of the Sith (which are spectacular).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Rose Byrne is very very briefly in this. As is Joel Edgerton. Before they both had bigger roles.

3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    When are we watching TCW? Today?

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Next week. Saturday and Sunday.

5. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I also like the Kouhun scene, bcs some of the dialogue is off-screen.
    I wish Anakin had been the same actor throughout the trilogy and older, the same age as Padme in TPM. When he's still a Padawan learner in AOTC, his frustration would make more sense.
    Natalie had to act with Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen, and I don't think she knew what franchise she was in.
    Ewan chewed up the scenery. He knew what movie franchise he was in. I'd say the only exception might be the diner scene. The diner was too clean, too bright. It didn't feel like Dex was really there.
    Boba being a clonetrooper that rebels would be awesome. It'd combine Slick's betrayal in The Hidden Enemy and would give Boba a more believable opportunity to assassinate Windu.
    I don't get it either. The edit after the duel...kinda ruins the momentum. IIRC, George rearranged a shot or two in the Coruscant chase, which I felt was a fix.
    I'm in the mood for some Clone Wars in the meantime.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I gave a 10/10 on AOTC because I still remember that it was the movie that made me realize that there is no rule against going to the movie theater to watch a movie more than once. So I watched it 3 times. And every time was better than the previous.

I give high praise to the plot of the movie, because it is driven by cause and effect throughout the whole movie. Lucas found a way to separate Obi-Wan and Anakin for the most part of the movie, thus giving time for Anakin and Amidala to spend time together and fall in love. The movie starts strong, with the scenes in the capital of the galaxy, and the assassination attempts diving deep into the night of Coruscant, for full immersion.

Obi-Wan's adventures on Kamino and Geonosis are among my favorite acts in the movie, and I think they were exceptionally done. Ewan McGregor helps in that, because he is Obi-Wan. It's not a small thing to be able to portray an Alec Guinness character, and fit the role perfectly. The space chase between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett is the best space duel in all of Star Wars.

Anakin's trip to Naboo with Amidala is probably the least interesting part of the movie, even though I understand the necessity of it, storywise. It's ironic that I am convinced a lot more about their romance via their short adventure on Tattooine and then the final act on Geonosis. Anakin's speech to Amidala on Tattooine is very well done in my opinion, and he really convinces me that he is suffering because of his love towards her, which at that moment has not been addressed, acknowledged or realized yet. Then, on Geonosis, where she responds, I get all mushy because it's a very realistic approach to two people falling in love with a small temporal difference, and I have been there.

The final act of the movie on Geonosis, is something that I had been waiting to see for almost a decade (needless to say that this is something millions of others all over the world had also been waiting for). A hundred Jedi, fighting against an army, and full scale war with lasers and lightsabers, followed by the arrival of the Clone army, the beginning of the Clone Wars at a galactic scale, and freaking Yoda with a lightsaber. Say what you will, the Yoda - Dooku duel scene blew our minds when that movie came out.

All in all, a great movie all around, with a few "weird" scenes on Naboo for me. No way I can rate this with anything lower than a 10.

MrDarth0 and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I give AotC a 5. Are there things I like about it? Yes. Do I appreciate it for what it contributed to the series overall? Absolutely. So I have a ton of nostalgia for it, as I do for the entire PT? You betcha.

But do I actually like it as a film, or enjoy watching it as a piece of entertainment..? Not... not really a whole ton, to be entirely honest.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    6/10

This is my least favorite film in the franchise. That doesn't mean I don't like it but when compared to the others it's the poorest made IMO. It just feels too artificial for my tastes. It's unfortunate because there really isn't anything other than Coruscant and Kamino that couldn't have been shot on location. And it's ironic that those two are the most realistic looking environments in the film. Naboo, Tatooine and especially Geonosis just don't have a very tangible feeling to them. In this instance I think Lucas pushed the technology too far and it just wasn't ready yet.

So what do I like? The noir aspects are a huge highlight of the film for me. To center the story around a mystery of who's trying to kill Padme is a really nice idea and for the most part it really works for me. Count Dooku should have been built up a little more at the beginning of the film as someone we could legitimately see as having good intentions. We genuinely need to buy the fact that he uncovered this Sith plot and created the Confederacy to counter Darth Sidious' influence in the Republic. Padme letting the cat out of the bag at the very beginning of the film undermines the mystery somewhat. It also makes no sense for Padme to believe it's him since she's staunchly anti-army which would benefit Dooku. Instead we should have been given someone who realistically could have been behind the plot. That should have been Palpatine. Think about how much more interesting it would have been if Padme and the Jedi suspected Palpatine was behind the plot to kill his own former queen. He's a much more likely candidate than Dooku too and it would have made even more sense when Obi-Wan found the clone army already being made. So it would come as a genuine surprise when it's revealed that it was Dooku all along and it was simply about revenge. And then there's the double whammy that he's also a Sith Lord. The Jedi being wrong about Palpatine could lead to them being hesitant to accuse him again in ROTS. Maybe they think Dooku was the Sith Master all along. Anyway, I like the mystery surrounding the assassination plot and I like how it connects to the clone army and how it all eventually leads to the war breaking out. All of that stuff is awesome. I just would have tweaked it a bit to make it more interesting.

The love story is obviously weak but for the most part I like the stuff with Anakin. Like I said before Obi-Wan and Anakin's dynamic is solid at the beginning of the film and the first half hour or so is probably my favorite part of the whole thing. Once they get to Tatooine things get much better. Anakin finding his mother beaten nearly to death is heartbreaking and the way it plays out with him succumbing to the dark side for the first time and slaughtering everyone is brilliant. It really helps to humanize Anakin which serves his redemption in ROTJ greatly. While obviously what he did is horrific it's at least understandable as they tortured and killed his mother. Padme's reaction to the massacre leaves a lot to be desired but Hayden is brilliant in that scene. It's part of the reason why I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. I think he was a brilliant Anakin.

What Anakin and Padme's story is lacking is any sort of tension whatsoever. Lucas is simply not equipped to write a compelling love story and shouldn't have even attempted it. Give them something to do instead of just picnicking on Naboo. I also don't buy Padme leaving Coruscant simply because Palpatine told her to. That's not the character from the first film. The one who against all logic goes back to her home planet and frees it from tyranny. This goes back to my comment from my review of TPM that Padme isn't nearly as strong of a character in the following two prequels. There should have been something more than just... Palpatine told me to go so I guess I have to. Maybe Padme refuses because the vote is so essential but she's driven off the planet by another attack. This keeps that plot thread going instead of ignoring it after they leave Coruscant and keeps them on the move like Han and Leia instead of just being stuck on Naboo for one boring love scene after another.

The arena battle is great for the most part and with the exception of all the clones being CGI I thought the Battle of Geonosis is pretty epic. That shot of the Trade Federation ship going down and causing the huge sandstorm and the clones battling through it is probably one of my single favorite battle shots of the entire series. The lightsaber duel is pretty good and I'm one of those fans who enjoy Yoda's participation in it.

Also John Williams put in a great score with the film. Across the Stars is so beautiful it's a pity it serves such a weak love story.

Overall a solid effort with some glaring issues in the execution that keeps it from becoming a really great addition to the saga.

Rankings

Films:

1) Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    2) Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I gave Episode II an 8.

I thought the romace between Anakin and Padme were awkward (for the most part); but Obi-Wan's continuing investigation into Padme's assassination attempt, leading to the discovery of the Clone army, plus the action and visuals, overshadows this transgression for me. I don't think George is comfortable writing romance, which is why I think this is the one time in the PT, that he had someone else (Jonathon Hales) help with the Script. People blame Lucas for the corny dialogue between Anakin and Padme, but I wonder how much he involved himself in that part of the script? Or if Jonathan Hales was responsible for writing those parts of the Script? Either way, the fact that Lucas structured the PT, so that the romance would have to be shoehorned into one movie, made it a difficult task.

As I have said though; for me, the good far outweighs the bad. For all it's downsides, Episode II is for me, maybe the most visually stunning movie in the Saga. Yes, I do agree that George should have used more real Sets/Locations, as well as some real Clone Trooper armor in the foreground; but the visual scale is so high in this movie, that he had to use a lot more CGI than before. IMO, the CGI is so well done though, that it never takes me out of the movie. Yes, even the CGI Clonetroopers are good enough for me (I don't see what the big deal is, since the Clones are mostly used for non closeup action scenes anyway. [face_dunno]).

Coruscant looks amazing, especially at night. The speeder chase always blows my mind; the cityscape looks so realistic. And the fact that we never see the same buildings in the background, during this long sequence, makes it even more mindblowing. I still don't see how ILM had the time to do all that digital work.

I like the fact that we get such a variety of action Scenes in this movie, beside the obligatory Big Battle Scene and lightsaber duel: Not just one, but two epic chase sequences in this film (Coruscant speeder, and asteroid field) - and the Obi-Wan Kenobi/Jango Fett showdown on Kamino. It was nice to finally see (almost) all the, Swiss army knife-like, capabilities of Mandalorian armor on display in one Action Scene. Cool! And well choreographed. With the mentioned lightsaber duel, we even get to see Yoda throw down with a lightsaber, for good measure. Awesome! And as far as the Ground Battle on Geonosis goes? I love the way we are introduced to the Clones in actual battle. The way they swept into the arena in their gunships, to save the Jedi, was awesome. I remember cheering out loud (I almost stood up), when I first saw this Scene in the Theatre. Attack of the Clones/"Begun, the Clone War has" indeed.

And finally, I can't say enough about Christopher Lee as Count Dooku. He gave so much gravity to the movie. My favorite Scene with Count Dooku (and favorite dialogue Scene over all for that matter), is when Dooku reveals the Sith plot to Obi-Wan, and tries to get him to join him. It really gave the movie some added dramatic weight that it needed.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My daughters LOVED AOTC when they were younger and TCW was on -- they would watch it endlessly. Now that they're older and more sophisticated they sort of agree with me that it's a bit of a mess, but certain things do linger, and saying "GOOD JOB" like Obi-Wan whenever any one of us does something incredibly stupid is one of those things. (Basically we all love Obi-Wan no matter what he's in.)

AOTC is pretty much my least favorite of all of the features, but the Obi-Wan plot in the film is my favorite individual arc from all of the prequels. Like everything else in the movie, it doesn't make much sense, but I just enjoy it. Seismic charges 4-ever.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    a bit late to the party, but

Красный октябрь standing by
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  12. Joruuuuuus C'baoth

Joruuuuuus C'baoth Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2018
    AotC has grown on me over the years (it helps that I have a very enthusiastic SW fan of a wife who loves the film). It does have some of the most panned lines in the whole franchise (Lamentations of Sand, Approval of Water, the Smoothness of Padme, etc.), and some of the decisions made were, I think, not the best. I always thought that the proper response of an intelligent person to "I killed, in my rage, the following: men, women, and children" is probably not "You're not perfect."

But in my view it has a pretty solid plot, develops Anakin's character in very important ways, introduced one of the best John Williams themes with "Across the Stars," and looked absolutely stunning. It did rely heavily on CG, sure, but the Antoni Guadi-esque shapes and architecture of Geonosis, the lore-building (which TPM also did super well), the quicker pacing, the awesome action scenes, the stellar introduction of Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, the raw emotions … I think it was a great film in a lot of ways, capturing the grand scale and feel of the space opera. I gave it a good 8/10.

My actual biggest complaint about the film isn't the silly dialogue. That's actually kind of charming to me today. It's Yoda with his lightsaber. In my headcanon as a kid, watching the OT, Yoda was a different kind of Jedi, who was so powerful (a bit like the Emperor) that he didn't need a lightsaber. But, sigh, I guess it was George's call, not mine.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    hello there, little late to the party over here. So The Phantom Menace. I love that movie, not even jarjar can ruined it for me. Qui gon is my favorite jedi in the movie and one of my in entire prequel trilogy. Even in his first few minutes, you get the sense that he's this wise jedi and Obi wan is this young padwan. I love them battledroids for the first time ever we see 2 jedis fighting together. Nemodians are alright, jarjar nuff said. I very mutch loved the stting of Naboo the city and landscape, i loved Padme in episode1 as Qeen. I loved the first reveal of Darth Maul, who's probaly one of my favorite sith in all of star wars.

R2d2 first appearance was kinda just there, little nitpick i have, it was nice to visit Tatooine again. Little Annie, was adorable. he got too mutch hate. I quite liked the podrace scene, but before that when Qui gon asks of Anakin's birth and him wondering of Annie's high midichlorians i wondered if the force created him as new vader comic seems to suggest Palpatine made him. It was great to see A hole panet just being of a city, Coruscant. I loved the political elements of the movie with Palpatine, suggesting that the chancellor schould be remowed from office. It was great to see the jedi in their prime and loved seeing the jedi from diffrent species, Yoda in 1999 loked like he was on crack i loved he made cgi later in blue rays. I liked the battle of Naboo minus the jarjar parts. Annie/Padme momments were great. I loved Maul's scene with Sidious and his dialog, he had a cool ship too.

the best battle of the prequels beside ObiwanvsAnakin, were Qui gon/Obi wan vs Maul the battle was intense and you could see he were controlling the battle until Qui gon pushed down and once separeted Qui gon was gone. I remember crying when he died it was very sad scene and noo from Obi wan was fitting in the scene. I hated Maul were killed off, and were overjoyed when he returned in clone wars, rebels and in solo. I loved the master and student final scene together, loved how that scene has influnce a little in clone wars and rebels. the funeral scene was quite sad. And like Anh it ends with celibration.

14. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    This sounds fun. I'll join. I may have to slow down and speed up my viewing at times. I just watched TPM and AOTC to catch up. I can't wait to start TCW this weekend. I love that show. I'm kind of sad we won't be able to time it with season 7, but that would be hard to do.

I'll focus on AOTC since that's where we are. A few words on TPM. I enjoy this movie. Its thematically and symbolically rich and that allows me to have fun with it. I also think the acting is good and the main characters are interesting.

Now for AOTC. This is my least favorite Star Wars movie, but I still do like it. Actually, I enjoy most of the movie. The beginning Coruscant scenes with Anakin and Obi-wan are great, as are the scenes on Geonosis. I love the political plotline; Palpatine is very well done in the prequels and it's fun watching him manipulate everyone. The prequels easily make him the best villain in Star Wars. Obi-wan's investigation is interesting and fun. He's another character the prequels handle extremely well. While they do argue, the movie does show Anakin and Obi-wan care about each other and are friends. On a whole, I enjoy how Anakin is portrayed in the movie. The battle of Geonosis is phenomenal and a great way to begin the Clone Wars. AOTC is actually a really fun movie. Also I was in first grade when this came out. So I have a lot of good memories involving waiting for this movie, watching it, and the wait between it and ROTS.

My main complaint is the love story. It's not well done at all and Anakin is creepy. I don't find it believeable; since that's one of the movie's focuses, this is a large issue. Also, Anakin killing of the Tusken Raiders is too evil at this stage. We just met him as an adult and he's already a mass murderer and a child killer. That makes him hard to like and it compounds the issues with the romance plot.

Honestly I don't know how to rate this movie. Maybe a 6-7. I'd probably round up to seven because I do enjoy it and a six feels too low. At that point it feels like a negative score and that's not accurate. AOTC is not a bad movie, it's just deeply flawed. I'm not sure if I could give the rest ratings. I'll try, but it's hard for me to be objective when I really enjoy most of the Star Wars films.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I couldn't fit it into the thread title but we begin at 12 PM CST again tomorrow (if it ain't broke why fix it)! Cat & Mouse and Hidden Enemy are up first and then on Sunday (same time) we'll be watching The Clone Wars theatrical film.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    TPM is my favorite prequel, followed by AOTC. ROTS is my least favorite, perhaps mostly because of its horrible opening 30 minutes and all the Grievous stuff. He’s worse than Jar Jar. There, I said it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Bor Mullet, You're a bold one.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hello there!

Hey, wait a minute....you messed up the order!

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    So Attack of the clones probaly my least favorite of the saga. loved the interactions of Obi wan and Anakin, they seemed friends not yet brothers as he was still his padawan. Good to see Padme again and now she's a senator. the awkard momments between Anakin and Padme were great shows him still a teeneger, still problems with his feelings. The assasination plot was good and liked the chase scene with the bounty hunter. I like the talk of politics between master and aprentice, showing their diffrent points of view. Deathsticks and Obi wan gold, our fist look at Jango from a far. Obi wan and Dexter kind of was fun and we learn a little about the Kamino. Obi wan's looking trough the arcives and Jocosta with her arrogance. a shame took out the Dooku statue scene. I loved seeing Yoda with the younglings and him and Obi wan. Anakin and Padme's ride to Naboo was good, we learn of the jedi of attachment, they are encourage to love, i bet even Yoda had a fling on the side in his earlier years. Great to see Naboo again and the landscapes, it's a shame the family scenes were cut, we learn alot about Pamde in those and i will always consider them canon. Ah yess the nice looking scene with i don't like sand, with his creapy eye stare, not my favorite scene but i can live with, he's not emotional stable around her so. I liked their time together on Naboo with the dinner scene and the picknick one on the grass. The night scene was alright tough a little corny.

Back to Obi wan and him arriving on Kamino, loved the place it kinda looks soo clean lol. We get our Syfo Dyas mention and darth Tyrannus. Good to see Jango and little Boba, okay not how i would loved seeing him in prequels but it's alright. I liked the fight scene with Obi wan and Jango and chase scene with them were good too. Anakin and his dreams of his mother, showing his growing power, and how he stand on balcony, both Kylo and Rey copies his pose. Good to see we have't forgotten Tatooine lol. we get see the Lars thats good a shame the movie didn't get do more with them. the death of Shmi and the tusken Massacre was sad and one of my favorites scenes form the sagas. Yoda hearing Qui gon and sencing Anakin's anger good stuff. Obi wan finding out of Count Dooku's involvment, i liked the Lee rip.

He gets captured, and sends a message to Anakin who sends it to the republic and they in turn chose to use the clone army. Smi's funeral was sad, but also damaged Anakin in way. They travel to Genosis the bug planet and going trough the factories slaying genosians and getting captured. The arena with monsters was a good watch and then when the Jedi appeared was great, sad that so many of them died just t save 3. Jango yiu'll be missed, a shame you son didn't learn from your mistakes. Our first clone action was alright, the chase of Dooku. Dooku's fight with them was great too, we see they are no match for him now, and then Yoda arrives. Dooku beginning to be nervous, we see little force going with them, Yoda just absorbs the lightining. Their battle was short but also great. Good to see Sidious agan we haven't seen him the whole movie. And the Eding with the secret marriage goo one. This is 7 for me. good, but very flawed movie, but still love it.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Everyone ready for some TCW? Two minutes until showtime. Cat and Mouse first. If anyone is unfamiliar it is the sixteenth episode of season two.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The armor they wear in the show is one thing that annoys me. It's so ugly. Obi-Wan's especially.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    Hey, they get rid of it in the third season. ;)

Also, Trench is an alien spider, no me gusta. D:

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Thankfully. It's a minor gripe anyway. Doesn't ruin the brilliance of the show a bit!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016
    One of the best aspects about this show is the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really adds to its eventual end in Revenge of the Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.