main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Countdown to Episode IX: The Watch Along Thread!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. The chemistry between them is really great!

2. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    This episode showcases Anakin's cleverness as a tactician and warrior, and I like that a lot.

I honestly prefer this relationship to the one we got in the films.

And episode over!

3. Left_Elbow

Left_Elbow Jedi Grand Master

Nov 22, 2003
    When do we start Hidden Ennemy?

4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Watching it now.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Slick really does kick Rex's ass in this episode. :p

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    And that's it for now! I'll put up the poll in a few hours. Tomorrow we watch The Clone Wars theatrical film. I'll be opening up a second thread for discussion of the that and it will continue on for discussion of all episodes we watch on Sundays.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So are you watching in story order, instead of broadcast order? If so, I commend you. That's how I always watch TCW.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep! I think it's better this way too. Especially since we're doing a marathon.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Final poll results for AOTC:

10: 4 votes or 18.2%
    9: 0 votes or 0.0%
    8: 3 votes or 13.6%
    7: 3 votes or 13.6%
    6: 4 votes or 18.2%
    5: 3 votes or 13.6%
    4: 4 votes or 18.2%
    3: 1 votes or 4.5%
    2: 0 votes or 0.0%
    1: 0 votes or 0.0%

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    POLL IS NOW OPEN!
    Rate the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episodes: Cat & Mouse and Hidden Enemy
    Poll will close on Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM CST
    After you've given the episodes a rating post your review in thread if you want!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I really liked both of these episodes. Cat and Mouse was a fun space battle that shows Anakin as a skilled tactician. I found Trench to be a good match for Anakin and it's fun watching them try to out maneuver each other. I love framing this as an attempt to break a Separatist blockade and deliver supplies to Bail Organa. Hidden Enemy is another fun episode. I like the plot of a clone traitor which allows them to show clones opposing being forced to fight for the Republic. It also allows them to begin showing the clones as individuals. Both of these are common threads throughout the show and are a great addition to the story. I love seeing Ventress, TCW handles her very well and makes her a very interesting character. In both these episodes, Anakin and Obi-Wan are handled well. They have some great interactions. We don't see much of their friendship, but what these episodes shows is good. Both episodes also do very well at showing the Separatists as a threat. They come across as competent and they illustrate how B1s can be dangerous.

I'd give these episodes as 10. It's kind of arbitrary, but I enjoyed them and don't have complaints. Watching these early episodes makes me want a book taking place between them and AOTC. I'd love to see the first weeks of the war, Anakin becoming a knight, and the first encounters with Ventress

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Joruuuuuus C'baoth

Joruuuuuus C'baoth Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2018
    I believe I am correct in saying that Cat and Mouse is chronologically the first onscreen canon appearance of Anikan’s second lightsaber, the one that was passed on to Luke and later taken up by Rey. Just a random realization.

I thought maybe his second lightsaber might be visible in Attack of the Clones during the wedding with Padme, but I’m looking at the scene and the costumes used for it and not spotting it.

cwustudent likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Cat&Mouse is one of my favorite episodes of TCW. The space combat is fantastic and Admiral Trench is a great villain.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  14. Joruuuuuus C'baoth

Joruuuuuus C'baoth Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2018
    I have a hard time rating TCW episodes relative to the films because they’re such different media, for different audiences, different budgets, etc. So my giving a 7 for a TCW episode may not mean I liked it better than a feature film I would rate at 5. Just getting that out of the way for all the TCW episodes ratings I’ll be doing.

I remember hearing a rumor that Trench was originally intended to be Thrawn, but there was either a rights issue or a higher up not giving permission, but I don’t know for sure.

My wife pointed out that in Cat and Mouse, it kind of felt unfinished. Like there was supposed to be a B plot with Spark, a “ah, now you’re part of the team!” growth, but it kind of doesn’t go anywhere and I don’t know that he even shows up again throughout the series. Pacing for the episode was slow for me, and the animation wasn’t quite to the quality that TCW would later attain. Good moments of dialogue, good demonstration of the Kenobi/Skywalker dynamic, and some cool space battle moments. I give about a 3.

But Hidden Enemy I rank much higher. More tension, more character, setting the stage for the counternarrative to the war that kind of defined the series—the first hint that the war is maybe wrong, that there’s something sinister at play, vaguely, that isn’t reflected in the seemingly clear Republic = Good and CIS = Bad narrative. Slick’s “Jedi coming back” slip seemed too easy to me, but it is that kind of slip up that does catch a lot of people trying to cover lies IRL. I kept wanting Obi Wan and Anakin to bottleneck the droids in the north building, and I thought it really weird a tactical droid was physically leading the attack—seemed like mostly a device to make sure they figured out there was a traitor. Loved the mock-flirting between Ventress and Kenobi, more Skywalker/Kenobi brotherhood development. Good pacing, the B1s were actually intimidating in their silent and relentless advance, good building of tension, good payoff, good setup for the CW film. I give it a 7.

So I guess since we need to rank both together ... averages to 5?

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Cat and Mouse - 7/10

This is a really fun episode. The stealth ship was a nice idea and I like how it gives the battle sort of a submarine warfare feeling. As others have said I like how it shows Anakin's tactical ability and how he outsmarts this notorious Separatist admiral. Admiral Trench gives off a very creepy vibe with the clicking sound he makes whenever he speaks. I hate spiders so he makes a very effective villain for me. I'm glad they brought him back too after his apparent death in this episode.

Hidden Enemy - 9/10

This is a surprisingly mature episode for a a kids cartoon series. Of course TCW is known for having these types of matures themes at play. On its surface it's just a story about a mole but I love how it gives each perspective it's due and doesn't portray either as totally right or totally wrong. Slick wants what most people want. His freedom. And he makes you think how sinister it actually is to grow an entire army of clones to be fodder in a pointless war. But then we have Cody and Rex whose perspective is that they aren't so much fighting for the Jedi or the Republic but instead they're fighting for each other. So Slick is betraying his brothers who are going to die because of what he's done. It's incredibly thought provoking and I like how there's no easy answer. In the end all these characters are being played by Palpatine and it's incredibly tragic.

Overall score: 8

Rankings

Films:

1) Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 9/10
    2) Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 6/10

TV series:

1) Hidden Enemy - 9/10
    2) Cat and Mouse - 7/10

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  16. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I give both of these episodes a 10/10.

As @Darth Chiznuk says, I like the submarine combat feel of Cat and Mouse.

It was interesting to see how deep they were willing to go with this show, with a Clone traitor storyline, in The Hidden Enemy.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    8/10

Both are great episodes and some of my favourites from the early seasons.

Cat & Mouse has a great villain (wish we had seen more of him) and shows Anakin's abilities as a battlefield commander. Its also nice to see Bail doing what later will be done by his (and Anakin's) daughter in the age of the Empire.

Though I find it weird that despite the fact that everybody constantly keeps mentioning how "this ship is too small to have a cloaking device", we never actually see the proper sized ship with a cloaking device in SW. From the dialogue in the episode, it sounds like they are (or were) cruisers with cloaking capabilities out there. Why is nobody using them during TCW and the Rebellion then? And what is this battle with a corporate fleet Yularen mentioned that happened years before TCW? Why hasn't that appeared in some comic or novel yet?!

Hidden Enemy is our first canon appearance of Ventress and she apparently already personally knows both Obi-Wan and Anakin.

I like the whole story with the clone defector. It shows that at least some clones were smart enough to realize that they are just slaves and tried to do something about it. I wonder what happened to him. Probably discarded for spare "parts" for the other clones. And the reaction of the Jedi? Completely disappointing. Especially from Anakin. I would have thought that as a former slave himself, Anakin would have had more sympathy.

Btw, do we have any official canon info on how much time has passed between the AOTC and Cat & Mouse? When was Anakin knighted? And how did he get his scar?

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Reminder: We watch Clone Cadets, Supply Lines and Ambush today at 12 PM CST!

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't care what they say about you. I love you, Jar Jar! [face_rofl]

21. Left_Elbow

Left_Elbow Jedi Grand Master

Nov 22, 2003
    That's what happen's when a good screewriter makes the effort the write Jar Jar properly. He can finaly be what he was always meant to be: a lovalble screwup with a heart of gold.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yoda really is a badass!

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Final poll results for Cat and Mouse & Hidden Enemy:

10: 2 votes or 16.7%
    9: 1 votes or 8.3%
    8: 3 votes or 25.0%
    7: 3 votes or 25.0%
    6: 1 votes or 8.3%
    5: 3 votes or 13.6%
    4: 2 votes or 16.7%
    3: 0 votes or 0.0%
    2: 0 votes or 0.0%
    1: 0 votes or 0.0%

24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    POLL IS NOW OPEN!
    Rate the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode: Clone Cadet
    Poll will close on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
    After you've given the episodes a rating post your review in thread if you want!
    [​IMG]

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We're doing something a little different now. The Clone Cadet poll will run until Wednesday and then I'll replace it with a poll for Supply Lines and Ambush which will run until Saturday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.