main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Counting Stars (Post-FOTJ, K/J) Completed 8/19/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Well, Tahiri isn't stupid. And Kyp has always been transparent when it comes to his feelings for Jaina.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Advice--

“You're not going to wait fifteen years to marry Kyp, are you?” Han asks his daughter.

They're fiddling with the guts of the Falcon, tracking down a coolant leak. Jaina, dressed in a jumpsuit and covered in various mechanical lubricants, twists around to look at him.

He sees her and still, in his head she's the little toddler who would come running, crying, “Daddy!”

She's not a toddler anymore. She's a grown woman, and it pains him that she's had to fight so many battles that he couldn't be a part of.

Like her divorce six months ago. That one had lasted about as long as he'd guessed it would, imploding just over a year after it had begun. He's not happy that it happened, because he's her father and he wants her to be happy. But he's relieved, because he never fully trusted that Hutt-spawn she was so crazy about.

The end of her marriage was something he didn't know how to deal with, so he'd done the best he could: he'd called in reinforcements in the form of Kyp Durron, Jaina's best friend and the guy madly in love with her.

Seems she's seen the light, because they've been together nearly two months, and his little girl is happier than he's ever seen her.

Jaina blushes at his question and tries to cover it with irritation. “What makes you think I'm going to marry him?”

Han just rolled his eyes.

She sets down her Harris wrench and fidgets. Just when he thinks he's going to have to prod her into talking, she asks, on a rush of breath, “I know you didn't really like Jag, and I get why. You seemed to see more than I could, because I was so blinded by…”

He slowly lowers his hydrospanner from the panel he's taking off. “What's on your mind, honey?”

“I don't want anything to go wrong with Kyp,” she says softly. “Everything else has, and… I love him, Dad. I think more than I loved Jag. And I'm scared that I'll do something and-”

“No,” he says, cutting her off. “Jaina, listen to me. Yeah, you loved Jag. And yeah, that didn't work out. But not because you screwed up. His family's honour and his loyalty to the Empire were more important to him than you, and that's not your fault. That's his. He didn't appreciate you the way he should have. That's on him. And that Zekk punk? He was only thinking about himself. I'm glad he got over that and settled down.”

“But about Kyp,” she urges.

He sighs. “Jaina, sweetheart, you've done just about everything you could do to break that man's heart, up to and including marrying someone else. And he's still as crazy in love with you as he was when you were nineteen. Yeah, I know he had that Brandt woman for a while, but even a headless monk could see how much Kyp loves you.”

She shakes her head. "It's too early to think of marriage."

"It's been seventeen years."

". . . Okay, then, yes, I'm going to. I just don't know when."

"Make it soon. Your mother wants more grandkids before I die."

"Dad!"

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Very nice chat between father and daughter. :) Love how much Han adores his little girl.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Now this is what I adore!!!!!! Han's POV and what he tells her is true to the situation and true to all that are similar. If a lady is not appreciated for her worth or vice versa, it's not because they didn't try. :rolleyes: I love Han's forthrightness, always have. [face_love]

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Jaina's always been the one he was closest to and understood best.

Thanks. :)

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Tonight--

Jaina walks down the corridor, stepping to the side as a group of younglings runs by, all of them giggling. They aren't much older than six or seven. She thinks of her father's words just hours ago, and smiles.

She feels a little disturbance, just a ripple of power, and looks up to see Kyp headed her way. He's talking animatedly with Master Cilghal, but he glances Jaina's way, and she feels it like a physical touch, her body responding by tightening her abdominal muscles. She wonders if he knows the affect he has on her.

When she reaches them, Cilghal is saying, “--so it shouldn't be too long before I have that figured out.”

“Good to hear. Master Solo,” he greets. Cilghal echoes the greeting warmly.

“Master Durron, Master Cilghal. What are we figuring out?”

Cilghal launches into an explanation of some medical thing she's working on, only half of which Jaina understands. She nods, and then Cilghal excuses herself to get back to the medical area.

“I didn't understand a word of that,” she tells Kyp.

“Same,” he says, and they both grin. “A moment of your time, Master Solo?”

He gestures to his office, outside of which she realises they're standing.

“Of course, Master Durron.”

He opens the door as Jaden Korr walks by, nodding politely. Jaina follows Kyp into the office. Kyp locks the door.

Then she's pressed against the wall, face upturned, as Kyp kisses her hungrily. Jaina buries her fingers in his hair, deepening the kiss. It's addictive, kissing him, more than any other physical contact has ever been. She hates that they're hiding this, that she can't be open about loving him, but the deception does lend a bit of a thrill to it.

He drags his mouth from hers, breathing unsteady. “I can't get enough of you,” he tells her.

“Same,” she whispers. “Kyp… I'm going to Hapes tomorrow with Tahiri and Allana, but tonight…”

“What about tonight?”

“Let's stay together.”

“You mean…?”

She nods, and he pulls her closer, if that's even possible.

“You sure?”

“Completely.”

“Your place or mine?” he jokes. Their rooms are on opposite sides of the hall, directly across from one another. She's wondered repeatedly if Luke did that on purpose when she moved from the quarters she'd shared with her ex-husband.

“Yours. I've always wondered what your bedroom looks like.”

He grins. “Always, huh? Okay.”

She takes a few minutes to regain her composure, and smooth her mussed hair, then takes her leave. Tonight. She's never been more excited or terrified for anything in her life.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    *purrs* And SQUEEEEEEEE! Yup, that's the universal K/J reaction LOL [face_love] As I'm reading about Poe, I'm thinking Kypster. =P~ Totally. LOL

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Everyone sees Kyp in Kylo, but I don't. I see him in Poe.

------------------------------------------

--Entwined--

Early morning sun spills through the window and across the bed. Jaina blinks awake, wincing at the light. When she tries to cover her eyes, she finds her arm pinned. She grins when she remembers where she is.

Oh, right. Kyp.

They lie together in his bed, limbs entwined. She was supposed to be gone hours ago, but she can't regret staying, even if someone catches her leaving. She hasn't felt this peaceful in a long time, this well-rested or content.

Jaina feels him wake and rolls over to watch him open his eyes. "Good morning," she whispers.

He smiles sleepily. "Hi."

She brushes a curl out of his face. "You sleep well?"

Kyp yawns, tugs her closer. "Better than I have in years."

"Same."

Jaina turns her head, kisses his shoulder softly. "We're gonna get caught. But I think it's time we stopped hiding. When I get back from Hapes, I'm gonna tell Jag. We can't let fear of his reaction control us."

"I agree." He nuzzles her neck. "I love you."

Jaina closes her eyes, smiling to herself. "Love you, too."

Kyp kisses her neck. Jaina grins, knowing his thoughts as much as her own in that moment, through their bond. If she doesn't get moving, she'll be really late. She sighs. "I need to get up, shower, meet Tahiri."

"Save time, shower with me."

Laughing, Jaina sits up. "That will in no way save me time, Kyp."

"Worth a try." He levers upright and yawns. "Fine. Go."

She leans in, kisses him deeply. "I'll miss you while I'm gone."

Kyp tugs at her bottom lip with his teeth. "Then hurry back."

"Oh, I will. I'd love for you to come with, but..."

"Next time," he says. "Go, enjoy your trip. Come back to me."

"I always will."

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful sense of contentment and rightness for each. :) :)

10. sonicflame

sonicflame Jedi Master star 1

Sep 25, 2002
    I just discovered this yesterday morning and LOVE it! I read through the whole thing in one sitting, and then was delighted to find another post last night. Can't wait to read more!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks! Next post will be up later today. Did you read "Yellow" and "Breakeven", too?

Glad you liked. :)

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Sorry I didn't get this posted before as I'd promised. I had to have something cut off my finger and I haven't felt like typing or doing any formatting.

-----------------------------------------------------

--Tomorrow--

Humming to herself, feeling lighter than she has in a while, Jaina presses the door chime at Tahiri's quarters. A full thirty seconds pass and there's no response. There isn't one to her knock, either. When she thumbs the access panel, the unlocked door slides open.

The room is empty. No Tahiri. No anything, really. All of her meagre possessions are gone, save for the robes lying across the unmade bed and a datapad sitting atop it.

Alarmed and yet strangely calm, Jaina crosses to the bed and picks up the datapad. It's been wiped, the only thing in it an unsettling message.

I'm sorry, Jaina. You're my sister, but he's my friend, and you betrayed him. I know what you've done. I can't be here and watch you do this.

The door opens and Luke Skywalker comes in, followed by Kyp Durron and Corran Horn. She's not surprised to see them. Corran was Tahiri's master. Kyp is virtually Luke's right hand man these days.

“What are you doing here?” her uncle asks.

“Tahiri and I were supposed to go to Hapes today, to visit Tenel Ka. But…” She gestures around. “She's left.”

“Last night,” Corran Horn says. “She boosted one of the smaller transports. No one was awake except a few sentries, and she apparently slipped past using some technique she learned from Jacen. We don't know where she went.”

Jaina's voice is just a little shaky as she says, “I think I do.”

She hands the datapad to Luke. He reads the message aloud. Jaina doesn't look at Kyp.

“You think she's gone to Jag?” Luke asks.

“That's the only ‘he’ I can think of that I could have betrayed at this point.” She laughs without humour.

“He's the one who became Emperor,” Corran points out. “How could you betray him?”

Kyp leans against the wall, folding his arms across his chest. This isn't how Jaina imagined the day after to go. They exchange a look.

“Me,” he says.

Luke and Corran turn to look at him.

“What?” Corran squeaks, and it would be hilarious if the situation were different.

“Jaina and I are in a relationship.”

Corran looks between the two of them, eyes bugging. The animosity between the two men has faded over time, but the idea is clearly baffling to the older man.

“It's true,” she says. “We've been seeing each other for a couple months. Tahiri apparently found out, which we purposely didn't tell anyone so that it couldn't get back to Jag, and… I don't know.”

“Jag's always been a bit, uh…” Kyp wrinkles his nose. “He knows I love Jaina and hasn't liked us even being friends, and he's always been irrational and obnoxious about it. We didn't want him to think Jaina left him for me. Tahiri clearly thinks she did and has gone to tell Jag.”

Jaina shakes her head. "I'm going to have to comm him, tell him. I have no idea how she's going to spin this."

Talking to Jag is the last thing she wants to do today. She wants to retreat with Kyp and hide from reality. She wants to go with her friends on a vacation. She doesn't want to face her ex-husband for the first time since she signed her divorce documents and tell him she's in love with someone else.

But she has no choice.

Kyp closes the space between them and pulls her close. "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. You don't have to do anything alone."

Corran clears his throat. "Ah . . . I'll just . . . go see about improving our security."

He excuses himself and leaves. Luke looks at the couple for a moment, then says, "I trust you not to start an interplanetary incident. Let me know how it goes."

He, too, exits. Kyp kisses Jaina's forehead.

"This is his picnic talk," he tells her, and she laughs briefly.

"Yeah. Well, better get it over with."

bellum stellarum likes this.
  13. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Could Tahiri be more of a tattle-tale? :p I know she thinks she's helping her friend Jag by telling him the truth as she sees it, but...she needs to mind her own business.

Can't wait for the next update!=D= Great work.:)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I have more reason to send her off to the Unknown Regions than that. This is just the impetus.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Apology--

In light of the impending crisis, Jaina reluctantly postpones the trip to Hapes. Allana is disappointed, but Jaina says they'll go with Kyp in a few days.

She's nervous as she makes the holonet call. Jaina knows she shouldn't be. She's done nothing wrong, and this is really just a courtesy. But she hasn't spoken to Jag since their divorce was final, seven months ago.

He always set her on edge, she reflects as she waits for it to go through. She always had trouble with words around him, always felt a tiny bit apprehensive of his response. He'd been predictable until the Killiks. Now, when he gets angry, she doesn't know how he'll react. And this is sure to make him very, very angry.

Kyp had never made her fearful or nervous, not this way. She knows with him, and he her, just how far they can push each other. They're direct, open, and even when she's been angry to the point of blows, Jaina's always known how Kyp will respond. Her only nervousness had been in the times their tension had been so high, she'd been afraid he would do something insane like kiss her.

Funny how she's more than willing to prod him into doing just that now.

The holonet call finally goes through, answered by a dour-faced, blue skinned Chiss. He narrows his glowing red eyes at her.

“How did you get this frequency?” he demands.

“Tahiri gave it to me,” she says. “I need to speak with Jag.”

“His Excellency is occupied.”

“I'm sure he is, what with running an Empire now.” She sighs. “Please, Ashik, tell him Jaina needs to talk to him.”

The Chiss is clearly reluctant, but places her on hold while he goes to speak to Jag. She only has to wait a few minutes. As she's anticipated, Jag seems eager to speak to her. The part of her that still loves him, will likely always love him, dreads what she's about to say.

He's cool and reserved, and only years spent in intimate contact tells her he's happy to see her. “Master… Solo, I presume it is now,” he says, in his stiff way. “This is unexpected.”

If that's the way he wants to do things, she'll play along. “Emperor Fel. I'm afraid this isn't a social call. Not precisely. We've had a situation arise and I wanted to speak to you in person about it.”

Kyp, leaning against the wall to her right, out of the camera’s range, snorts softly.

“And what might that be?”

“Tahiri resigned from the Order this morning and stole one of our shuttles. She left a message indicating that she was defecting to the Empire.”

Genuine surprise crosses his lean, handsome face. “Why would she do that?”

Jaina hesitates. She takes a deep breath, then says, “She's apparently angry with me, personally. She said that she feels I betrayed you and can't stay here.”

There is a long silence, as Jag contemplates this. “And why,” he inquires at last, “would she feel this way?”

Jaina resolutely doesn't look at Kyp. “Since she doesn't know my side of things, I wanted to speak to you and explain before she gets there and tells you her misinformation. I've started seeing someone recently. I think Tahiri is under the impression that I left you for… this person.”

Jag stares at her for a long, quiet moment, a muscle jumping in his clenched jaw. He knows that it would have to be someone from her past. It can't be Zekk, because they attended his wedding shortly before they divorced.

“And how,” he asks, voice low and cold, “is Master Durron? I presume it's Kyp. You would only warn me if it's him.”

“He's fine. Um.” Jaina hates seeing expression of disgust on his face. “I didn't leave you for him. I want you to know that.”

He stares at her in silence. “So you're telling me this to prevent Tahiri from ‘tattling’? But she's forced your hand. You didn't want me to know at all, did you?”

“... Not immediately. I don't know you anymore, Jag. This- this emperor thing? The man I married would never have wanted that.”

“I've changed,” he says shortly. “But I always knew you had feelings for Kyp. Perhaps you should have done us all a favour and chosen him in the first place. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to meet with the Moffs Council. Goodbye, Jaina.”

He cuts the call. Jaina squeezes her eyes shut and shakes her head. “He's right,” she tells Kyp. “But I loved him, too. I did. Part of me still does. I'm sorry.”

“I know. Don't apologise. You don't owe either of us anything.”

“Then why do I feel like I do?”

“Because you're a good person. Come on, I'm starving and I know you haven't had breakfast, either. Everything else can wait.”

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Sun--

Having told Jag, they feel they're able to be open finally about their relationship. Seven months have passed since her divorce was final. It seems both too short a time and an eternity to Jaina.

Walking outside in the warm autumn sunlight, they watch some students go through training exercises. At the moment, four of the older students run an obstacle course, trying to keep an egg from falling as they dodge both animate and inanimate objects, as well as blaster fire from someone stationed in a nearby tree.

Jaina remembers when that person had been Jag, and they'd been testing students to be her apprentice. She hadn't taken any of the students, and within eight weeks, her marriage had been over.

Allana and Anji skip ahead of them on the path. Allana does, anyway. Anji slinks low, eyes watching a bird as it flits from tree to tree.

Kyp takes Jaina's hand, weaving his fingers through hers, and she smiles up at him. It's nice to be together during the day, where everyone can see.

“This is where I'm supposed to be,” she says after a while. “I'm not cut out to be the empress of anything. I'm a Jedi.”

“Yeah, you're a fighter, not a ruler.” Kyp gestures with a head tilt towards her niece. “And Allana needs you to train her. I'm sure Tenel Ka could, too, but she's busy. Who better to train the future Jedi Queen than a warrior goddess?”

Jaina grins, shaking her head. “You're the only one who keeps up with that.”

“You've always been my goddess, and you always will be.”

She turns, poking him in the stomach. “Who knew Kyp Durron was such a sap?”

His dark eyes narrow, glinting dangerously. Jaina grins, then gives him a shove and takes off running. She bolts past Anji, Kyp on her heels.

Allana pauses, grabbing Anji’s collar to keep the nexu from joining in when Kyp tackles Jaina into a tall stand of wild grass. The girl huffs a sigh when they don't immediately emerge.

“Come on, Anji. Let's go watch the training exercise,” she says, and she and the large feline head towards the group observing the students.

When Kyp and Jaina rejoin her twenty minutes later, they both have twigs in their hair.

mulberry and bellum stellarum like this.
  17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Grace--

One of the oldest students, a seventeen-year-old human male, boasts to a group of friends about his skill with a lightsaber as Jaina and Kyp walk by. Kyp isn't paying much attention, lost in contemplating a conversation he wants to have with her, when she suddenly stops.

"Apprentice Gisk," she says suddenly, and the boy straightens.

Kyp thinks the kid is young, so impossibly young. He had no longer been a boy at that age, forged into a man far too early by loss and circumstance. He isn't sure this boy will be a man in his thirties.

"Yes, Master Solo?" Gage Gisk squeaks.

"You say you're good with a lightsaber. Show me."

". . . Pardon?"

"Master Durron is going to have a seminar on advanced swordfighting. We're looking for students for it. You need to audition, though."

Gage glances nervously at his friends, then at him, and finally says to Jaina, "O-okay. Now?"

"Unless you have a class you're supposed to be in."

He nods rapidly. "Okay. I can show you."

The kid, Kyp thinks, is dead meat.

Jaina leads them all--her, the boy, Kyp, the kid's friends--to one of the larger training rooms. A few masters are in there, watching younglings exercise with stun rods. Kyp wonders idly if they ought to get those out for this exchange, because if Gage isn't as good as he's boasting, he might lose a limb.

Gage is advanced enough to have made his own lightsaber. It's a vibrant blue-green, more teal than turquoise. He stands steadily enough, in a high guard, classic Soresu style. Jaina ignites her violet blade and stands casually, not in any particular style. He himself prefers a mix of Ataru and Djem So, though he, along with the other Masters, know all forms. He knows that Jaina has trained in all and likes switching randomly in the middle of a fight just because she can.

If this kid really thinks he can take on the Sword, Kyp hopes he's as good as he says, because otherwise, Jaina is going to pretty much take him apart. Maybe it's perverse of him to be entertained by the idea, but there it is.

She lets Gage come to her. He's at least a head taller than she is, which makes it all the more amusing when she lulls him into a false sense of security. Jaina tests him, blocking his blows with the Soresu he's using. She's calculating, graceful and minimal in her movements.

The kid is pretty good, Kyp notes. His problem isn't that his skill is less than he says, so much as that his ego is bigger than it should be. Too much pride is dangerous. He should know. He's probably the Order's best example of "arrogant idiot".

He senses movement to his left, and glances over at Master Kyle Katarn. The older man, brown hair and beard now heavily tinged with white, watches with brown eyes as Jaina draws the student out, gets him to lower his guard.

"What's she doing?" Kyle asks quietly.

"He was boasting that he's going to be a swordmaster soon," Kyp murmurs. "Jaina is having a teaching moment."

Kyle snorts. "She's going to flatten him."

"Pretty much."

Gage shoots his watching friends a grin. It's then that Jaina attacks.

She slides under his raised arms and clocks him in the chin with her elbow. Then she sweeps his legs from under him and kicks his blade away. He's on the ground in less than three seconds and his weapon is in her hand, deactivated.

"Distraction will kill you," she says, and tosses the hilt to him.

Gage climbs to his feet, face red. "You cheated. That's not fair!"

"You think when the Sith come, they'll fight fair?" she demands. "You think a pirate with a blaster is going to fight fair? There is no such thing as fair!"

His blade roars to life and he leaps at her, letting his anger and embarrassment get the better of him. He has speed and size on his side. Jaina stops him with a block to his blade, the two weapons meeting with a crack, and then she doubles him over with a kick to the stomach.

Even when beating a cocky kid to a pulp, Kyp muses, she's nothing but graceful.

It still takes three minutes for Gage to concede the duel. He does so from flat on his back on the floor, red-faced and wheezing.

Jaina, Kyp notes, hasn't broken a sweat.

He steps forward and offers Gage a hand up. The kid blinks at him, then takes it and lets Kyp pull him to his feet.

"You're good," he says, "but you're not anywhere near ready for my class."

Gage nods. "Yes, Master Durron."

He turns to Jaina. "My apologies, Master Solo. I let my need to impress my friends make me stupid. Thank you for showing me that."

Jaina eyes him, face unreadable. "I could send you back to the beginning for your arrogance. But I don't think I will, because you can recognise your mistake. Just don't let it happen again, Apprentice Gisk. Reality isn't a lightsaber against a remote. It's ugly and dangerous and will kill you."

"Master, if I may ask . . . who trained you?"

Her dark eyes flick over his face. "Initially, Master Mara Jade Skywalker. I don't think you ever met her. But she wasn't my only master."

"Who else?"

She jerks a thumb at Kyp. "He was. And incidentally, Master Durron is the only one who can fight me to a standstill. So don't try that with him, either."

She clips her lightsaber to her belt and goes to talk to Kyle.

Gage watches her go. "She's amazing."

"Don't go getting a crush," Kyp warns him. He doesn't want this kid hanging around, googly-eyed and asking for advice as an excuse to be near her. "Not only is she twice your age, she's taken."

Gage gulps, nodding quickly.

He pats the kid on the shoulder. "Give it another year or two, and I might consider training you."

Kyp turns and goes to join Jaina. He's never been prouder of his former apprentice than when she's pounding on people.

mulberry and bellum stellarum like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= =D= Love reading a batch of these! Had a good chuckle over Corran's reaction - "Really?" :p Jag's reaction - icicles! :eek: Jaina truly doesn't owe anyone an apology for her feelings. [face_thinking] Loved Sun. SQUEE!

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I really haven't been feeling well this last week. So here's two to make up for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Sleep--

Jaina does not wake subtly, flailing from sleep with a ragged cry. Kyp, startled from his own slumber, blinks muzzily in the dark of the bedroom. Instinctively, he pulls her to him. She resists for a moment, then subsides, trembling in silence.

“Jacen again?” he asks against her shoulder.

“Anakin,” she rasps. “I was killing Anakin this time.”

Kyp kisses her shoulder, holding her tighter. He knows not to ask if she wants to talk. If she does, she will.

Eventually, she pulls away to slip out of bed. He lies in the dark and waits for her as she retreats to the refresher. Kyp wishes he could do more to ease her pain over her brothers' deaths, but there's nothing he can do more than he's done over the past nearly two decades.

When she returns, sliding under the covers, he pulls her close, pressing his face into her hair. There are no words for how content he feels, holding her like this. It's a peace he never expected to feel in his life, one he isn't sure he deserves.

“I don't think you've spent a single night in your quarters in weeks,” he murmurs.

“I think you're right.”

“You should just move in.”

Jaina heaves a sigh and snuggles closer, rolling over to face him. “Probably. You sure?”

He kisses her forehead. “Wouldn't bring it up if I weren't.”

She's quiet for a long moment. “Why not? I'm here every night anyway, and I already know most of your annoying habits.”

Kyp chuckles. "That is very true."

Her fingers play over his chest in the dark. Jaina curls into him, clutching his shirt in a fist. “Do they ever stop?” she asks.

“Do what stop?”

“The dreams about murdering my brother.”

He wants to lie, but can't. “Not that I've found.”

She nods and presses her face against his chest. He holds her close, nose to her hair, breathing in the scent of her.

“But I can tell you one thing,” he whispers.

“What's that?”

“We don't have to face them alone anymore.”

----------

--Dark Eyes--

He loves her eyes. It would be easy for anyone who doesn't look to just dismiss them as brown, or "dark". But Jaina's eyes are so much more than that. They're a golden brown, irises rimmed in chocolate, the colour of a good Corellian whiskey. They're shot through with flecks of copper and stria of the same brown that outlines them.

They seem to glow when she laughs, and they go a deep, sultry russett in moments of passion. He could spend forever staring into them, trying to count all the colours he sees. No, they're not just brown.

"What?" she asks, as they lie facing each other, on a blanket in their meadow as Allana climbs a nearby tree and Anji chases birds. "You're staring."

"Just enjoying the view," he murmurs. "I love your eyes."

"I love yours," she says softly. "They remind me of . . . Looking up at the sun through leaves when you're deep in the forest. They're not brown. Someone said once that they are. I don't know where they got that idea, because your eyes are definitely green. Dark green, though. With a little brown in them. They change a lot, too. Like when you wear certain colours, they're brilliant green. But when you're upset, they go really dark."

"I was just thinking about your eyes doing the same. I like them best when you're feeling . . . friendly." He knows there are young ears nearby, and isn't going to get more specific than that. Allana will need "the talk" at some point, but it's definitely not going to come from him.

Jaina chuckles softly. "I like yours best then, too."

"You do, huh?"

"Yeah."

He weaves his hand into her hair, the silky strands sliding through his fingers. She wore it just below shoulder length when he first fell in love with her. It now falls to her waist, a braid across the crown of her head keeping it back from her face.

"You're so beautiful," he whispers.

She blushes, which never fails to enchant him. She's one of the most confident women he knows, and yet, when told she's beautiful, she never seems to believe it. "I remember when I was eighteen, and you called me one of your more attractive friends."

He grins. "I couldn't help myself. From the moment I realised you were a woman, rather than the girl who used to tag along and use your dad's friendship with me as an excuse to hang out, I've been hopelessly lost."

Jaina's eyes search his face. "Part of me wishes you'd been more direct back then. But I don't know how it would have gone if you had."

"I'm good with how things are now," he tells her. "We can't change what was, so I'm just going to enjoy how it's turned out."

Allana, bored with tree climbing, suddenly plops down beside them. "You're getting mushy again," she observes. Her grey eyes flick over Kyp. "When do I start calling you Uncle Kyp?"

He laughs at her directness, noting Jaina's obvious fluster. "Uh . . ."

They haven't discussed marriage. He wants to, very much. He wants a life and a family with her. But they've only been together a few months, and he doesn't want to push so soon after her divorce.

"I'm okay with you doing that," he finally tells the girl, "but I'm not your uncle."

"Yet," she points out, and hops to her feet to go play with Anji.

Jaina shakes with silent laughter. "Sometimes, she's so much like Tenel Ka," she wheezes.

Kyp shakes his head. "She's only going to get worse."

"I know."

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh the poignancy of "Sleep" :D The mutual support is wonderful. And then "Dark Eyes." [face_love] [face_love] I love his eyes, too. ;) And Allana's directness [face_laugh] Definitely refreshing.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks!

Can't believe I'm almost done with this fic. Just have one prompt to write and two to finish up.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Question--

Curled beside Kyp in their bed, Jaina lies on her side, watching him. He faces her, and under her scrutiny, he grins. It's a repeat of earlier in the day, in the meadow.

"What?" he asks.

"Nothing."

She runs her hand over his bare chest, taking in every detail of him. The freckles on his skin, the long, faint scars that cover his body where they repaired his shattered bones. She's come to know him so much more these last few weeks, little things that only this new intimacy could have told her, even after knowing him so long.

She wonders how she so easily dismissed this thing between them when she was younger. It feels like Kyp is the one person who *gets* her. She doesn't have to explain herself to him, he just knows, always has. Jaina can't recall the last time they actually had a real argument, rather than a spirited discussion. Hapes? she wonders. I think it was Hapes. I argued with Jag nearly every kriffing day.

He catches her hand, brings it to his lips and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. He's gentle at the most surprising times, passionate just when she needs him to be. "I love you."

Jaina smiles, her heart swelling. "I love you. Kyp . . ."

"Mm?"

Her eyes search his face, so familiar and so loved. "Marry me?"

He lets out a disbelieving, surprised laugh. "What?"

"Marry me," she repeats, and she's more certain this time.

Kyp snorts and says, "I've been trying to figure out how to ask you."

"Who cares who asks?" Jaina pushes him to his back and leans over him. "I want to marry you. I should have years ago."

He tangles his fingers in her hair. "Of course I'll marry you, Goddess. I was afraid it was too soon. You haven't even been divorced a year. I didn't want to push."

"We've waited long enough. We're good together, we know that. I don't want to waste more time."

"I agree. Let's get married."

Jaina ducks her head, kissing him. Kyp flips her to her back, peppering her face, neck, and shoulders with kisses, everywhere he can reach that's exposed by the little straps of her pajama top. She laughs, for once feeling completely carefree.

Later, she lies in the dark, his head pillowed on her breast. Kyp snores, and Jaina grins to herself as she runs her hand through his curls. His hair is soft, twisting and turning as it slides between her fingers. She wants a baby with curls like his, she thinks, and it only brings contentment. She'd never properly discussed children with Jag; the idea had always made her feel vaguely anxious. But with Kyp . . .

He'll be a good father. She remembers a little of that month he'd lived with them when she was two, almost three, and how he'd played with her and Jacen, never telling them to go away when she knows they must have been irritating to the teenager. And he's good with Allana, never condescending. The girl is going to be thrilled by this news.

He stirs a little, wrapping his arm tighter around her. Jaina sighs and closes her eyes. Her last thought as she drifts to sleep is that she needs to find a dress now that she's getting married again.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This deserves at least two SQUEE! SQUEEE! Just to start. Oh melty melt!!!!! :D I love that it is she who asks and their utter sense of rightness and contentment. :D

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Glad you liked! Jaina being the one to propose just seemed right for their dynamic.

---------------------------------------------------------

--Special--

They take Allana to Hapes to visit her mother. It's mid-autumn on Shedu Maad, but early summer on Hapes, the weather beautiful. While Jaina visits with Tenel Ka, Kyp goes hunting. Jaina may have popped the question, but he wants to find her the perfect ring. He can't compete with the enormous sparkler she'd received from Jag; he doesn't have that kind of money. He isn't, after all, either Head of State or Emperor. He's a Jedi Master with very little to his name, though he has some credits set aside, tucked away in case of emergencies, relocated to a bank here on Hapes after the Jedi left Coruscant.

He fingers the sleeve of his robes, realising they're getting a bit worn. Jaina's remark about blood on his clothes comes back to him, and he absentmindedly rubs his shoulder. The wound is long healed, but the memory brings a phantom ache.

Tenel Ka is aware of what he's doing; he asked her for advice and she swore to keep Jaina occupied and give him plenty of shopping time. She also recommended a few jewellers he could visit.

Kyp's at the second one when he finds it. He doesn't know much about jewellery, really, but it's simpler than the ring Jaina had before, made special not by an elaborate design, but by the oblong, cushion cut rainbow gem from Gallinore. It's not a big one--he can't afford a big one--but it's haloed by tiny diamonds, all set in a silver metal.

He winces a little at the price, but he knows it's perfect for her. It's even in her size, which makes him think maybe he was meant to buy this ring. It takes a sizeable chunk out of those emergency savings, but he does it anyway.

Back at the palace, Kyp finds Jaina in their room, the room she had so many years ago and he raided to locate her lightsaber the night of her brother’s funeral. Jaina told him when they arrived that it's essentially her official room at the palace, since she's the aunt of the heir to the throne.

“We should move in here,” he jokes as he enters the room. “It's much nicer than home.”

She laughs. She's in the middle of dressing for dinner, and she has her hair up in a towel. “I don't think I could handle it. Too many courtiers and I'd punch someone. What do you think, these earrings or these other ones? I don't want to dress up, but we have to. It's some fancy to-do.”

Kyp reaches around her, pulling her back against him, and holds up the ring. “Whatever goes best with this.”

Her mouth drops open. She grabs it and whirls in his arms. “Kyp!”

“Is it okay? I wasn't sure, but it felt right.”

She looks down at the ring, her other hand pressed to her mouth. “It's gorgeous.”

He plucks the ring from her fingers and slides it onto her hand. “It's nothing compared to your other one.”

Jaina runs a fingertip over the centre stone. “It's perfect. I never really liked the other one. Jag picked it but didn't take my preferences into consideration. I put up with it because, well, it was so expensive. This is . . . it's beautiful.”

“You're not just saying that so you don't hurt my feelings?” He says it jokingly, but the fear is there.

She shakes her head, then loops her arms around his neck. “I love it. Thank you.”

“I wanted something special. I remembered you talking to Tenel Ka about the rainbow gems being living things, and I thought, when I saw this, that it was perfect. I don't know if it hurt to be faceted, or not, but if you really focus on it, you can feel that it's alive.”

“It's a good symbol for us,” she says softly. “I want our marriage to be a living thing, so to speak. Living and growing.”

“Exactly what I was thinking.” He kisses her softly.

Jaina pulls out of his arms with clear reluctance. “I think I'll wear the blue earrings. One of the outfits Trista brought for you has a blue shirt. So I'll go with the blue dress, too, instead of the black. We can match.”

“No red dress?” he asks mournfully.

She grins at him. “Sadly, no. It's almost twenty years out of fashion and I'm not allowed to wear it.”

“Wait. You have it?”

“I do. And if you're good and behave yourself at this party, I may put it on later.”

He swears to be on his best behaviour for the duration.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh delicious! How sweet to be concerned about getting just the right -special-thing. @};- And it is, totally. Ah, the red dress has sentimental value and eye-appeal too. ;)