main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Court: Orangutans are non-human Persons with legal rights

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We do, but I don't partake. Wretched things, red-heads.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  2. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I think it's important to make a distinction between "detention" and "custody".
    The clear precedent is again, in the case of dementia and mental illness, where a person (usually next-of-kin) is given power of attorney. An Orangutan is likewise unable to function in the modern human environment - they'd likely either attack someone or get hit by a car within the hour in a major city; can't blame them given how terrifying and confusing one must seem. That means the options are delegate power of attorney to a competent caregiver, or release into a habitat where they can function freely.
    Unfortunately, those habitats are dwindling, many apes already born into captivity will never be able to function there, and if apes only exist in the wild, they'll be extinct frighteningly soon. For those and other, lesser reasons, I think it makes sense for Orangutans and apes in general to be given into the guardianship of certain qualified individuals or organizations, provided they're given protections and rights like this bill sets the framework for.

3. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    C'mon, Ender, I know they don't have souls but neither do dogs.

They're alright. As long as they don't lick your face. Have to draw a line there.

4. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I think this is a step in the right direction, but wake me up when chickens are given their legal rights. Chickens are decent people.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This is all the work of the gays. People will be marrying monkeys next, then dogs and finally chickens.

6. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    What's wrong with that? Have you ever seen a chicken come home after a long day at work and beat it's Hen?

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was going to post about how I actually see how the idea of "guardianship" could work legally as a replacement for "ownership" and "detention." But then I read that post right there and I just kind of lost the will to even go on.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The Orangutan picture in the second post looks like Maurice from the most recent POTA films. It sounds like this is the first step towards the Apes taking over the planet....watch out for any scientists out there that look like James Franco, who happen to be working on Anti-Alzheimer's experimental drugs, & who are testing them on chimps....

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No, but roosters do. That's cause they're cocks.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Go pullet, Sean.

harpua likes this.
  11. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know if the "personhood" route is the best one for this situation or not -- I can see some good and bad aspects to it -- but I do think more needs to be done to improve the quality of life of captive animals (or to keep certain animals from being captive -- ie dolphins and whales). I see it as a situation where there's a lot of different approaches to the problem, and if Argentina wants to try this one, I say great: give it a shot.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How exactly is "legal person" defined then?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You can have legal personhood without things like the right to vote. A human child is considered a legal person, but can't vote.

Great apes, and other beings like dolphins, whales, elephants, some breeds of dogs and cats, and more, have demonstrated cognitive abilities that show they are thinking sentient beings. They aren't at the level where they should have the right to vote, but they should still be recognized as legal persons with rights to life, freedom from cruelty, etc.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Been thinking up that answer for some 2 years, Ghost?

also DOWN WITH CHINA!

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm yeah, I knew that. Is this just a question of terminology then? I guess I'm still wondering if there's a difference between calling for humane treatment of animals and calling for legal personhood.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Legal personhood is better protection because it guarantees that those rights can't be infringed without due process, and gives a solid legal foundation to the humane treatment of animals, Alpha-Red

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Good to see the crusade for animal justice took a backseat til one ape in a zoo kicked the bucket and you rediscovered your previously discovered life calling.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I for one applaud this move by Ghost. If you're going to double down, double down hard I say.

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Because some dogs and cats are more equal than other dogs and cats.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Did I really make this joke two years ago?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Long overdue to make another one.