main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Cow Milk vs Almond Milk (or other)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Which do you drink, and why?

If my sources are correct, almond milk is the most popular dairy substitute and still on the rise, still trending, etc, while cow's milk is falling out of favor.

I myself have been drinking almond milk for the past few years for the denser nutrient content and typically higher calcium content. I can drink almond milk regularly without feeling queasy.

Almond milk's main advantage over cow milk is that it usually contains more calcium and less fat. However, cow's milk isn't without its own advantages--it contains more easily absorbed nutrients, naturally contains calcium and protein, lower sodium content, and is much, much cheaper than almond milk. But unlike almond milk, you can really only drink cow milk in moderation due to the higher fat content (and how it might be associated with increased chance of heart disease, weight gain, etc).

From an environmental impact standpoint, I believe they're both kind of even. One isn't necessarily more ethical than the other, as I believe there's a huge environmental impact involving the mass production of almond milk.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Almond milk. It's much easier to digest and only slightly less tasty.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Cow milk. I don’t drink it often but almond milk just tastes gross as do any of the other alternatives I have tried.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Almond milk. Don’t get me started on the dairy industry.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I always get unsweetened almond milk. Maybe I'm used to it, but I actually enjoy the taste. But it's been a very long time since I've had actual cow milk, so I don't quite recall what it tastes like. I think almond milk is perhaps comparable in taste to skim or 1% cow milk, correct?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Used to be allergic to milk as a kid, so I never drank it. Then eventually the allergy kinda went away, but I still didn't drink milk much and I didn't really like the taste. Then, I discovered whole milk and that was delicious and the stuff I didn't like was skim milk. I still don't drink much milk overall, though. Almond milk is all right, though I don't drink much of that either...I prefer soy milk.

Also:
    https://www.thecut.com/2020/02/do-we-need-to-drink-milk.html
    https://www.thecut.com/2020/01/almond-milk-honeybee-deaths.html

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm not entirely sold on the first linked article. The correlation between height and hip fractures seems like a stretch to me. That said, I don't think the medical community recommends milk just because it's milk--but because it's an easy source of calcium. And osteoporosis is more serious than many people realize. I would imagine that this is why almond milk producers enrich their product with so much more calcium than what's contained in cow milk, in order to give it a competitive edge for those looking for a quick source of a calcium-dense product.

9. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I never liked dairy milk. As a child, I remember adults constantly telling me I'd have osteoporosis when I got older. The evolution of almond milk and coconut milk (my two faves) has been refreshing. I haven't tried Oat milk, but my neighbor raves about it.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jesus, this thread is a massive guilt trip for me to start drinking almond milk.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oat milk is delicious, but very expensive and very high in sugar. I think it's more trendy than actually healthy. But it does have protein and I think fiber, two things almond milk lacks. If going this route, definitely look for an unsweetened version.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ezio Skywalker, tom, 3sm1r and 4 others like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's a good thing I like you, IATI. [face_shame_on_you]

[face_peace]

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Don’t drink a ton of milk, usually only have it with cereal, but when I do it’s of the Cow variety.

Cheese on the other hand, I eat a lot of that.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Neither. Soy milk is probably the best for the environment and I'm not taking a newborn calf from its mother. I mostly drink water, though.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've limited myself to one glass of milk per day. Otherwise, I drink a ton of water.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and Luke02 like this.
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I drink cow milk like my life depends on it.

19. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am lactose intolerant, so milk alternatives for me! I prefer soy, and it is sweet enough my daughter can be conned into drinking it sometimes. :)

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Nearly all the milk I drink is whole milk, because I'm a maniac.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm highly allergic to cow milk protein so I don't drink it, or eat cheese or other products made from it. I do drink oat and soy milk, and I eat way too much ice cream made from oats, and a lot of soy and cashew based cheese.

And, as someone who comes from the country that invented the myth that milk gives you strong bones (it was a lie made up by a lobbyist group called Mjölkpropagandan - "The Milk Propaganda" - to get people to buy more milk. They used incredibly racist language to explain that Swedes drink milk, not coffee*, and other "fun" things like that) which lead to us being the country with the highest consumption of milk in the world, and one of the countries with the highest numbers of osteoporosis in the world, I have serious doubts about the health benefits from drinking cow's milk. In fact, most modern research (not funded by the dairy industry) seem to point to cow milk actually making your bones brittle, not stronger.

Almond milk is gross, though. :p

*Fun fact: we now have the highest coffee consumption in the world as well. Take that, 1920s racists.

22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    As a vegan...

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I just think almond milk tastes better, regardless of the health benefits.

25. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Almond milk has always tasted like chocolate milk without the chocolate milk. I'm not particularly a fan. Although I have found if you steam it then it tastes delicious.

But I usually drink cow milk, although more of the organic options, fairlife, or the grass milk brand.