main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cradle of Filth

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Cobranaconda, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Haven't been on the JC in a very long time, didn't know anyone here listened to this band. I used to listen to them quite a bit when I was in high school and just getting into "extreme" music. It was a pain in the ass trying to get a hold of "The Principle..." and "Vempire". But I eventually did and enjoyed those records, and "Dusk and Her Embrace" immensely. I was a little disappointed with "Cruelty and the Beast", and pretty much hated "Midian", and I haven't listened to them much at all since then. Although I did actually listen to all of "Vempire" the other day for the first time in ages, and it brought back some good memories, and there are some riffs on there that I still love. I never thought of them as really "black metal" though, more like some sort of gothic metal, but they served as kind of a stepping stone into black metal for me, if that makes sense.

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Yeah, they did for me as well. Although I do like their newer stuff as well. Bitter Suites and Nymphetamine were slightly disappointing, but I like Damnation more than I used to.

V Empire's my fave still, and Dusk second.

But its good to see people are still finding this place.

For other Black Metal stuff, there's a Metaltropolis that handles everything else.

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Cradle of Filth are the first black metal band I've listened to and they've expanded my horizons of evil music. Listening to them made me want to listen to simillar things, so I tried with other black metal bands. CoF are among the greatest, though.

Though I don't have all the albums like Cobra or Spooky, my favourite (for now) is The principle of the evil made flesh.

4. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Yeah, Principle is very good. I think its got the best guitar riffs out of every album. The problem I have with it is the sound quality. Its quite quiet (If you have it as a soundtrack on XBox, with V Empire next to it, you'll understand), and badly produced. The bad production I don't mind so much, as its normal for the Black Metal scene. Plus, Principle is the only tr00 BM album CoF have done.
    Another problem is the fact that there are 4 instrumentals and one outro out of the entire 13 tracks. So there's not as much original material as you get roped into thinking there is.

Despite that though, The Forest Whispers My Name, The Black Goddess Rises and Of Mist and Midnight Skies are still three of the best CoF songs recorded.

5. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    I'm kinda disappointed with the packaging and price of the Nymphetamine record.

It's not even a gatefold. No booklet or posters. Thing costed $35 after shipping.

The Dimmu Borgir-Death Cult album had some awesome packaging and I think I got it for like $18

[face_plain]

6. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Woah. Thats quite a blatant rip off. Those gits.

7. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    yeah, it sucks.

8. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    From the CoF Spiderwebsite:

The latest news from the Cradle of Filth camp is that regrettably, long-term keyboardist Martin Foul (Powell) has sadly parted ways with the band, releasing the following press statement detailing the reasons for his decision:

"Due to pressing personal reasons I have found myself unable to commit my best efforts and time to Cradle of Filth. Despite 5 great years, I which I have acheived along with my colleagues (past and present) a myriad of goals and dreams I have decided to bow out from Cradle. Having played and written music with three greats of english metal (C.O.F., My Dying Bride and Anathema) I am certainly not giving up music in any respect but just need time away from the rigors of being part of a such a time consuming entity as C.O.F. is. I shall endeavour to pursue and perhaps release my own music whenever I am blessed with the time and inclination to do so. I should like to thank Cradle fans and friends the world over for making my time with COF incredibly enjoyable and memorable. I look forward to people hearing from me in the not-to-distant future."

The feeling in the Cradle camp of course is one of profound loss, though a resounding and heartfelt 'all the best for the future' accompanies this recent and unexpected personal turn of events. Obviously this leaves an opening for a replacement Cradle keyboardist, so if there is anyone out there who bares an iota of interest in joining the ranks of the 'Filth, then please feel free to send musical material and accompanying photographic/background information to the management email address as printed on the inside of the recent "Nymphetamine" release. Anybody of any colour, creed or stature is welcome though Phantom Of The Opera-esque mannerisms and creepy facial mask will definitely count in your favour. Note: This will not effect the recently announced UK tour dates in December!

On the positive side however, is the very welcome news that former bassist Dave 'Herr Pubis' Pybus has now taken on the somewhat daunting task of webmaster for the C.O.F official website, a challenge that sits perfectly alongside Dave's current pre-occupation with the recently formed 'Sixsixsix Records' label. So, from everybody involved with the band, a warm and very grateful welcome back.

In a similar vein Dave is also accompanying the band to undertake the forthcoming 'Viva La Bam' MTV 2 television performance in the U.S sometime in June, when the band will feature in a full length episode culminating in a live performance of 'Nemesis' atop a multi-story parking lot somewhere in Philadelphia. This however does not exclude new bass-player Charles Hedger, who has been helping write toward the new album in the recent rehearsal room sessions at Springvale. So far tentative titles for the new material are as follows; 'The Flora Of Nightfall, The Fauna Of War', 'Devil To The Metal' and 'Cemetery And Sundown'. The band are expecting to be back in the studio in the Autumn with a wistful release date of February 2006, though as mentioned elsewhere, the 'Gospel Of Filth' printed foray in to the darkside will be out in shops around Halloween as too will the forthcoming band DVD, recently shot over two nights in Paris and as yet untitled.

:(

Also from there:

CRADLE OF FILTH - UK dates DECEMBER 2005

DATE CITY VENUE

1 December - SOUTHAMPTON GUILD HALL
    2 December - NORWICH UEA
    3 December - LONDON THE FORUM
    5 December - CARDIFF UNIVERSITY
    6 December - BIRMINGHAM ACADEMY
    8 December - GLASGOW ACADEMY
    9 December - NEWCASTLE ACADEMY
    10 December - LEEDS UNIVERSITY
    11 December - MANCHESTER ACADEMY
    12 December - NOTTINGHAM ROCK CITY

9. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    So, does this mean you're going to another CoF gig?

10. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Probably.

Most likely the forum one again. Its a great venue.

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
  12. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I remembered to post that funny thing from latest edition of Metalhammer magazine concerning CoF.
    It is taken from Ask Mortiis rubric:

Dear sir Mortiis,

Along with team of my perdonal assistants, I've designed some
    Cradle Of Filth Are ****s T-shirts as official Vatican ceremonial cloth. Do you think shirts will be popular? Should I use Friut Of The Loom or Hanes?
    The pope, Rome

And here is Mortiis' answer:

I've passed this on to Dani. He's now put 23 new COF shirt designs basically insulting religion in ways I had no idea could be conceived into mass public, so I think it backfired on ya, buddy. Oh btw, I think he's using Friut Of The Loom.

Metalhammer are brilliant!

13. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Mortiis is a great laugh.

There's one that I've got where a dude asked:

Being the important Black Metal figure that you are, could you please recommend me some good BM?

Mortiis' nonchalant reply was:

No. BM is ****. It has been since I quit Emperor, and unless a genre has me in it, its ****. Got that?

14. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    I wanna see 'em again. :_|

15. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Yeah, Mortiis is great.

And for this CoF thingy; I don't think the last pope would ever do such a thing, but perhaps we can expect those shirts as a 'revenge' from Ratzinger. :p

16. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, he's a former Nazi and Emperor Palpatine lookalike. I'd say its highly probable.

Then again, Cradle have been arrested in the Vatican before. Them "I love Satan" t-shirts are a good way for that.

17. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I would be proud to be arrested in Vatican. :p

18. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2004
    Not if you have read Brown's "Angels and Demons".

Thirteen Autumns and a Window, Desire in Violent Overture, From the Cradle to Deprave, Cuthulhu Dawn, Lord Abortion, Creatures that kissed IN COLD MIRRORS, Her Ghost in the Fog, Nemesis, Gabrielle are the best songs ever.

I like Cradle's older albums a lot mor

19. Mr_Fantastic

Aug 5, 2004
    Any Rhapsody guys out there.

I'll never forget a scene from one of Keanu Reeves' lousy movies (forgot the title, he traveled through time in a phone booth):

King Henry: Put them in the Iron Maiden
    Reeves' character: Iron Maiden? Cool! *starts playing on an invisible guitar*
    King Henry: Execute them.
    -Oh.

What was the script writer thinking? People have made jokes about that movie for ages. There was even a pic of Palpatine playing on an invisible guitar inspired from that movie. Jeez.

20. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Hey, I like Bill and Ted!

Yeah, Cradle's older stuff is quite a bit better, but Damnation and Midian break the trend a bit. Shame Nymphetamine doesn't.

And its good to see this dead thread resurrected.

21. Mr_Fantastic

Aug 5, 2004
    Nymphetamine soo shows Cradle's not what it used to be. Midian rocks. The best intro in the world "At the Gates of Midian", followed closely by a fast song "Cuthulhu Dawn"

By the time I reach Lord Abortion I feel that if someone shut the system down, they would die. It's extasy without dope.

And it improves my concentration, thus helping me to do obligations quicker.

22. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    At the Gates of Midian pwns! Great song, indeed.

I also agree that Nimphetamine album is a bit lousy compared with other CoF works. I don't have all of the CoF albums so I can't tell for sure, but it seems to me that this album is somehow out of CoF style. I don't know how else to explain it.

23. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Nymphetamine's more of a tribute to the old school than a Cradle album.

You've got Sepultura in Gilded ****, Iron Maiden in Coffin Fodder, Misfits in Filthy Little Secret, Emperor in Mother of Abominations, etc.

Really annoying.

24. spooky-kid

Jun 17, 2003
    still, the ozzy and diamond covers rock. i still like nymphetamine but, not as much as Midian.

25. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Diamond cover?

What? On Nymphetamine?

There was a cover of Devil Woman by Cliff Richard, a cover of Bestial Lust by Bathory, and Ozzy's Mr. Crowley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.