main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crash Course 2: Perfect -- OC/drama/mystery -- **Completed 10/31**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lilith Demodae, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Thank you for your patience. I got a new comp, got my old hard drives copied over, got my programs re-installed and can now start posting at last. Just as a heads-up, this one won't be as action-packed as the last one.

And now, without further ado.... Perfect

My life is perfect. There really is no other way to phrase it. I know it sounds trite, perhaps even cliche, but that does not make it any less true. After all, cliches become that way when overuse is taken to its extreme. Extreme situations require extreme terms, possibly even extreme cliches. So it is with my life. Besides, understatement only works when someone realizes that you are not pushing things nearly as far as you can, and I've never much cared for it anyway.

My home is supremely beautiful. An entire floor in the Lorrus tower is given over to our quarters. The rooms are spacious, open and airy, looking out over wonderful vistas of the sprawling city. Situated well above the traffic lanes, we are ensured that the rushing streams of vehicles will not mar the scenery or intrude with unwanted noise. Every furnishing has been chosen for aesthetics as well as function, each matched to the others in a common theme of modest conspicuous consumption. After all, what good is money if you don't spend it making life easier or more comfortable for yourself? We have all the best appliances and conveniences, droids and assistants. Luring our cook away from Senator Denali wasn't easy, but was oh so very worth every incentive required to manage that feat.

The entire floor just below our quarters is my garden. A piece of historical and botanical preservation I can't help but be proud of, it is made up entirely of plant species native to Coruscant, some of which have come to the very edge of extinction and are kept from that fate by my garden and others like it. Flagstone paths wind throughout, and enticing conversation niches of small glades carpeted in soft grass open here and there at comfortable intervals. There's been many a lovely dinner party hosted there and I can only praise my landscaper in the most lavish terms.

My responsibilities are light, or at least they have been since... and they prove sufficient to keep me from boredom. Besides keeping the household running smoothly, I usually arrange my husband's social schedule, making sure that he meets with everyone who needs his time and whose time he needs. I'm good at it, which only follows I suppose. After all, I used to be his secretary and a household is so much easier to run than a multibillion credit company.

And finally there's my husband of seven years. Eseladai Tolwyn, president and CEO of Xanthus Corp., is everything I could possibly have wished for and more. At one point eight meters he is fit and trim, with not a spare gram of flesh on his body. Lean and handsome, his cheekbones are high and his nose aquiline, aristocratic even. I love running my fingers through the short, tight curls of his hair, as carbon black as my own. He owns my heart, lock, stock, and crate. I have never doubted his devotion to me, his soul-deep love, and I never will.

I know very well that there are people out there who will never experience such good fortune as I have found. I used to be one of them, even joined a swoop gang very briefly, but I fought my way free of the streets, determined to climb as high above them as I could.

Dai has done much the same, though he made it much farther than I before he stopped. He lifted me higher than I could ever have dreamed I would go. For me there are no more worries about enough food at the end of the month, enough credits for rent at the beginning of the month, enough time in the day, enough sleep at night. No, the days of scrabbling for every decicred are over forever, and I only look back long enough to remind myself of how much better my life has become since I met Dai. Instead of an endless progression of drudgery and despair eking out a bleak and bare existence, my days

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Whoa. If that's Crash talking, she's changed just a bit. What a start, Lilith - can't wait to see more. Might Obi-Wan be making an appearance...?

Shaindl

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    ooohhh the sequel is here at last!!! And I agree with above sentiment ... man Crash has changed if that's her...

Great job can't wait for more! Glad you got your computer troubles sorted out :)

4. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh, forgot to mention... this takes place about five years after the first story.

5. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    You've started it! :) How wonderful! :D Wow, if that IS Crash then things certainly have changed in the space of five years just as everyone else has observed before me. Can't wait to see where this one goes, Lilith!

6. Lady_Excalibur

Lady_Excalibur Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2004
    Oh this looks just great! I can't wait for more.

7. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    Yay - a start on the sequel.

Can't wait to find out who's talking/thinking in your post - I'm guessing not Crash - as the narrator has been married 7 years, and the original story is only 5 years before.

Or, you could be playing with us ;)

8. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    WOW- that's coming on really strongly...literary characters should know by now not to call something perfect, because whenever they do it all changes for the worse ;) You've definitely whet my anticipation now, and I can't wait for the next part!

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was more than thrilled to see this started.

Yes, this character sounds like she does have the perfect life, one I certainly wouldn't mind. I especially loved the description of the garden on the floor below! I chuckled at her speaking of cliche's because we all know she totally jinx herself by telling us of her life.

Post soon, post often!

10. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Hooray! A new Lilith story! And this time I don't plan on living in lurkerdom. (That is if my nine month old will let me.)

Hmmmm... I don't think it's Crash. I think for her perfect would equal boring.

Looking forward to more!!

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That can't be Crash- I think it's Barbie :p

12. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Glad to see you picked a title--I like it!

*chuckles evilly* It's SO much more fun when you know what's going on. *eg*

13. -Z-

-Z- Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2003
    Nice prologue. Looking forward to the rest!

Should I read the first story to better understand this one?

Wait, nevermind. I'm going to go read it anyway. :)

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Imagine my surprise to stumble across the sequel just as it's beginning. :D

15. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Whoa! It looks like I got most of my old readers back and a few new ones! :D Cool!

Shaindl -- Sorry, no.

Layren -- Thanks, my new comp is soooo zippy. :cool:

Jemmiah -- Thanks, and me, too!

Lady_Excalibur -- Thank you, and welcome on board!

Tanith -- Play with you? Why would an author ever want to do that?! ;)

Miska -- Ah, but she doesn't know she's a literary character. If she did, I'd be in big trouble. My mantra is,"My characters must never know...."

Leona -- Not as thrilled as I was to be able to start posting. \:)/

Mouse -- I don't mind lurking, lurk away if you must. Just a little postie once in a while to let me know you're still there.... The feedback junkie must have her fix.

Ping -- No gloating, or I'll stop using you as my sounding board.

-Z- -- Actually, yes, reading the other one first will make this one make more sense, in the long run.

Herman!!! -- Welcome back! It's good to see you around here. (meaning one of my threads) ;)

Sunlight slanted across my face, warming my skin and brightening the place behind my eyelids to a rosy glow. I stretched, the silk sheets slithering across my skin in a hedonistic caress. Smiling, I ran clawed fingers through my hair, scrubbing at my scalp, and luxuriated in the sensations. I drew deep breaths of the fresh air coming through the open balcony door, savoring each wonderful lungful. Glorious, just living and breathing at that moment and taking it all in was glorious. There was something about mornings, whether the sense of newness, or perhaps the feeling that the whole world pauses for just a moment to catch its breath before plunging forward once more. Morning had to be my favorite part of the day.

Turning my face into the sunshine, I reached out with my left hand. The other side of the bed was long empty, the body heat dissipated. My husband was an early riser, gone to work before the sun ever got high enough to shine down on our bed. The Force only knew why I might have expected him to be there, since there had been no sound or motion that might draw my attention.

With a small sigh, I opened my eyes and stared up at the ceiling. The textured pattern under the paint led my wandering gaze here and there as I thought of nothing much at all. Sunlight glimmered and danced at the corner of my eye, reminding me that the day spun on, whether I got my lazy carcass moving or not.

Finally, I pushed myself up and swung my legs off the side of the bed. Twitching the sheets into a more conventional arrangement, I straightened things a little then padded across to the refresher. I paused at the window, pressing one hand against the cool transparisteel. The city was spread out beneath me in a glittering grey and white panorama. Sunlight clung to the eastern faces of buildings, running down and disappearing toward the ground, like a giant bucket of honey splashed across the world. My gaze was caught in the distance by the layered courses of the traffic lanes, the arteries of the vast city, carrying its lifeblood of commerce to every far flung limb. Something about the moving vehicles riveted my attention and made me uneasy. I stared hard at them, trying to find the source of my anxiety, but I could detect nothing amiss.

Pulling away from the view, I continued on, dragging my sleepshirt off over my head and dismissing the strange feeling as nothing more than the remnants of an already forgotten dream. As I stepped into the refresher, I dropped the shirt in a corner for the droid to collect for cleaning. The slightly cool spray of the shower helped me wash away the last lingering bits of sleep.

Wrapped in a warm robe, my hair bound up in a gleaming white towel, I went back into the room and crossed to the vanity. PC-46 was already waiting for me with my breakfast. The droid whisked the damp towel away from my hair even as I seated myself, and proceeded to comb and dry the thick, bl

16. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It's good to see you around here. (meaning one of my threads)

Hey, we Oct. 99'ers gotta stick together. :)

17. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I have to admit something here...many people enjoy reading about characters with lots of problems, presumably because it makes them feel better about any of their own problems, and maybe because they enjoy angsty stories; and there is nothing at all wrong with that- I myself have been known to prowl the boards for fics with lots of doomed love, pessimism, psychological terror, etc. But there are other times when I love reading about perfect people with no problems! And this story is one of those times, and consequently I'm enjoying it quite a lot! However; that's not to say I won't be interested to see things get...interesting, for lack of a better word ;) So I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're doing a fabulous job on this and I can't wait to see what's next!!

18. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow an update so quickly! Great job too Lilith! Can't wait for more.. so who is this anyway ;)

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    doesn'tknow much about computers- not Crash. But who is it????

20. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    I agree - can't be Crash - she's way to good with computers.

Maybe PadawanKitara is right with it being Barbie :D :D

Can't wait to find out more about Mrs Tolwyn.

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I guess this couldn't have included Obi-Wan, since it's only five years after the first story. [face_blush] Sorry!

I'll admit, I'm still not convinced it's not Crash. But I don't want to speculate. Love how you're keeping us all in suspense. :)

Shaindl

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This is a great story, you've done a great job of drawing me in. I can't wait for more!

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh, that first paragraph made me so incredibly envious. Wish my mornings didn't consist of jumping up from the bed before the sun is up to turn off the darn alarm clock!! Though, I'll admit her life does sounds just a tad bit boring.

Now I'm curious if Mistress Tolwyn is Force-sensitive with all her 'bad feelings'??

24. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    Hi there Lilith, another reader glued to this story. :) Your first posts are wonderful at painting a picture of the life of "Mrs Tolwyn" and I can easily imagine her surroundings. A very good start.

AndI also like how you've decided to keep to the first person when telling this story; a nice tie to the first one.

25. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Herman -- Certainly. There's not as many of us as there used to be...

Miska -- Don't worry, things are going to start getting... interesting quite soon now.

Layern -- This is Mrs. Tolwyn, of course. ;)

Kitara -- ^ see above. :D

Tanith Better Barbie than Mary Sue, right? With Barbie you could at least amputate her hand if the cat chewed on it ... never mind.

Shaindl -- Speculate away. That's half the fun of all this. And I'm glad you like the suspense, because I'm hoping for it to continue.

VaderLVR64 -- A new reader! Extra cool. Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Leona -- Not everyone who has bad feelings is Force sensitive. Some of them are just paying attention...

Calam -- Welcome back! As for the whole first person thing... it's a pain, but it pays off.

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July weekend (even if you don't celebrate it the way Americans do). Thank you all for your patience.

"He leaned over the table to kiss me and managed to smear the gravy from his steak all down his front," I told Vrenna, pushing the remains of a light salad around my plate with a fork, eyes on the past. "A bright blue stain from here to here. I couldn't help it. I burst right out laughing. The man had just proposed to me and I laughed in his face. He sat down so fast that the edge of the plate caught under a button and tipped the rest of it smack into his lap. I rushed over to help him clean it up, as did the two nearest waiter droids, and he started laughing too. So, when I finally said yes and accepted the ring, it was me on my knees next to him, instead of the other way around."

My face warmed, my whole being lighting up with the memory, as Vrenna chirped out a pinched excuse for a laugh. She had demolished two full plates of salad and was working on her third glass of Clerif White, while what was left of my first glass slowly warmed in the simulated sun between polite sips.

"My dear, that is a wonderful story. My own acceptance to matrimony was nowhere near as entertaining. My poor husband made it sound more like a business merger than romance. I fear the man has no imagination in his soul."

I nodded, a polite, if strained smile pasted on my lips. The luncheon was going into its second hour, the headache pressing at my temples throbbed slowly, threatening serious escalation, and Mrs. Rhysode showed not the least inclination to leave. The conversation lapsed, and I sat back as Foursix moved in on my covert gesture under the table and began to clear away the dishes. I glanced away from my guest to the moon lilies that graced the nearest decorative pond and poured soft perfume into the air. I closed my eyes briefly, listening to the gentle sounds around me. There were no birds in my garden, no small living things to add vital sound, but that did not bother me. I found the near absolute silence soothing. Only the rustling leaves and the domestic sounds of Foursix disturbed the peace. Oh, and my lunch companion.

Vrenna Rhysode was anything but soothing or peaceful. Her prying curiosity grated, and then there was the way she leaned forward to search my words for any scrap or tidbit of information that could be used for her or against us. She disgusted me and I wished this whole thing over and done with, but it had been my idea. Dai argued that I wasn't strong enough yet, but I knew I was. This was the best way to prove it and with the dinner party in just three more days, this was the closest to a trial run as I was going to get.

"Well, I must say that you and Eseladai seem to be doing well."

"We're doing quite well, as a matter of fact. Xanthus is turning better profits than expected for the sixth quarter in a row. Dai is a shrewd business man."

"Never in doubt, my dear. Never in doubt." Her blue lacquered nails rattled against the glass tabletop and her black eyes scanned my face yet again. I didn't like those eyes. They glin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.