main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Crash Course 2: Perfect -- OC/drama/mystery -- **Completed 10/31**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lilith Demodae, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    A-haaaaa - just read you sig. Thanks for the heads up guys.

So it is Crash, with her memory altered. But why would anyone do that? The most important thing to Crash (apart from Shael of course ;)) was her computer skill, but as Chenowyth, they don't seem to be there.

Ohhhh, you're adding so many twists [face_devil]

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Layren-- See, when I throw the ball I often lose my grip right at the end and the ball goes flying any which way... (of course if I stopped waxing it maybe it would fly straight....)

Leona-- Just goes to show, common things can be interestign too.

Kitara-- Well, it's not supposed to be confusing... just misleading, intriguing, curious?

Frosty!!!!-- Keep the gloating to a minimum, please. It's lovely to see you around here, though.

mouse-- Rats! Is it that obvious?! ;)

Tanith-- If a pretzel wasn't twisted it'd just be overdone bread.... :D

And here's the next bit .....

Leaning forward, I listened eagerly. "Go on, it sounds fascinating."

"Well." The glow on her face told me we'd hit on a favored topic, judging by the contentment and enthusiasm lighting her splendid green eyes. It was nice to listen to someone who enjoyed what they did. "I love working with them. It takes time, of course ? years ? but you can look back after as few as six or eight months, and see how much progress you've made, and how much they've been able to learn. A lot of people think it's boring, that you'd be doing the same old exercises day in and day out, but it's not like that at all. Every child is different and needs different exercises. I try to offer variety, too, and make it all fun, or as fun as it can be. I don't think I do the same exercises more than once a day, sometimes not even that. But I wouldn't mind doing it even if it were that way, because the children themselves are fascinating. Their zest for life, their innocence, their brutal honesty is so refreshing and so wonderful to see."

My heart throbbed dully, a familiar pang taking up residence there. Children. Dai and I didn't have any. "When the time is right," he would often tell me, but so far the time had never been right. And I wanted children. Oh, how I wanted children. A little girl, or a little boy, I didn't care which, to love and cherish and teach. Watching a child grow into an intelligent and responsible adult must be the most rewarding thing in all the world.

I didn't realize I had spoken my thoughts aloud until Hué responded to them.

"Oh yes. It's a miracle everyday, seeing them getting the proper use of their bodies and the joy in their eyes. It just radiates out from them. You can actually feel it. But listen to me, I've been rambling on without stop. What is it that you do, Chenowyth?"

"Nothing so fulfilling as that, I'm afraid. Mostly I act as my husband's personal secretary. Come to think of it, if you hadn't stopped by I'd have been wandering around looking for something to keep me busy."

"That's the hardest part of the recuperative process, isn't it? You're no longer sick and tired, but you're just not quite ready to get back to the daily routine yet, either. One day, though, you'll just wake up and decide that it's time to go back to the work or hobbies you did before. I'm sure it won't take much longer with you." Hué smiled encouragingly.

"Most likely. I actually spent a lot of time yesterday finishing up the preparations for a dinner party, but now that it's all taken care of I haven't a lot to occupy me." A thought struck me and I beamed at her. "You wouldn't like to come to that, would you? It would be ever so comforting to have someone there that I already know."

Hué looked surprised and I could literally see how her "professional" façade crumbled to let her natural shyness through. "Uh, that's very nice of you. When is it?"

"Night after tomorrow. Eight sharp."

Her face fell with genuine regret. "Oh, I'm sorry, but Zahua and I are already busy that night."

Settling back, I nodded. "No, don't be. Short notice and all that. I'll just have to invite you over for dinner some other time, just the four of us." Foursix came back then, bearing a serving tray, the cake sliced neatly and placed on small plates for us. "Foursix, remind me to check our calendar an

3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    If Crash just sits around eating cake all day, she won't be able to fit thru the door.

What is happening to her?????

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I wonder what Mr. Tolwyn will think about his wife's new friend. Fascinating that she has such a complete memory wipe, able to remember a childhood and all. And why am I suspicious of her initial reluctance to leave her apartment??? Is it really part of this new life she's playing... some ingrained suggestion to keep her isolated and in line; to possibly prevent being recognized in the real world???

Excellent job of keeping me thinking and wondering Lil!!

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Wow! I was right about something. Cool. :)

I'm with Leona. What's causing her to not want to leave her apartment? I can't help but wonder if Hue is really busy or she's just too shy to attend the dinner party. Or is there another reason?

Looking forward to more!!

6. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Yeah me too.. I'm with them. What's up with all that Lilith? How can she remember her childhood yet not want to leave her apartment? How strange.. I can't wait to find out more!

7. Frostfyre

Frostfyre Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 1999

It seems to me that a selective memory wipe and careful reprogramming would be easier than a complete wipe. The great question we're all asking, though is...WHY??

Leona! I am not sithly. <grins evilly> But thanks for the compliment.

8. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Kitara -- Hmmm... Crash gaining weight, not being able to fit on a swoop... that could be interesting... [face_devil] What's happening? She's going quite crazy of course.

Leona -- You know, I really wish I could share with you all Jane's wild conjecturings while she was betaing this for me. Thank you and I'll try to keep it up. :)

mouse -- Well, it's a very nice apartment...

Layren -- More on the way. ;)

Frosty! -- All I can say is: you'll see. [face_devil]

I thank you all for your patience. The company I was working for was bought out from under me last week and I'm one of the employees that wasn't carried over to the new company. As such, while I find myself with a lot of spare time, I'm more than a little distracted at the moment....

For your patience I give you a bigger post than usual

Dai sprang the concert on me late the next afternoon. Coming home from work early, he greeted me with a kiss.

"I was thinking that you must be getting a bit stir-crazy in here day after day, with only the garden for a change of scenery. I got us tickets for a private box at the Skydome tonight. I didn't exactly check the schedule until after I had the tickets." He looked both dubious and hopeful at the same time. "It's Trianii opera."

Twining my arms around his neck, I kissed him deeply and felt his lips pull into a smile under mine.

"Does that means you don't mind?"

"It'll be a learning experience, since I've never heard Trianii opera. But, no, I don't mind."

"Excellent. I've already told Thackary. If you'll run and get changed we'll leave as soon as you're ready. Hurry a smidge, though, if you could. I want to try and squeeze in a quick business meeting on our way to the Skydome."

"Not all women take hours to get ready," I reminded him with a jab of my finger. He rubbed at the spot on his shoulder while I winked at him. "Just the ones that don't have droids."

Evening was fast falling around us as we set out, Dai, myself, Thackary, and a driver in one speeder, and four more men following in a second. Surging out into the traffic with expert precision, our driver began the task of maneuvering our vehicle from point A to point B without being spread all over the windshield of speeder C. Around us the city blurred past, still spinning on at the same break-neck speed it always moved at. Commerce, industry and entertainment continued as the diurnal gave way to the nocturnal, but day and night made little difference to the frenetic pace of life on Coruscant.

We headed northeast, actually angling away from our destination, but Dai had mentioned a business meeting, so I didn't worry about it. Snuggling close to my husband, I watched out the tinted windows of the speeder at the sights around us, surpassingly glad that we weren't moving any faster. The buildings and slower freight haulers whipped past and were left behind in a distressingly short amount of time. After not wanting to be a criminal, the main reason I never stayed with the swoop gangs when I was younger was that I could not abide moving that much faster than my own two feet could carry me.

We continued on, and I suddenly realized we had crossed an invisible boundary into a different city sector. The buildings were naggingly familiar, then I remembered. We were flying through a corner of Angel territory. Who could we possibly be meeting this far out? Are we going to be late? I don't want to miss any of the opera. Drifting gradually into lower lanes and a light evening fog, we entered a more industrial section and finally came to a halt on the back corner of a warehouse roof, the view of us cut off from traffic by an advertising sign decrying the virtues of one brand of cargo droids over another.

There was someone there already, waiting for us.

It was impossible to mistake those grey jackets with the wide, deep red stripe down the length of the sleeves. Even before the speeder coasted to a smoot

9. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooooooh the plot thickens even further ... *nabs first reply* WHat in the world is going on? What are they meeting the Horseman for.. crash hasn't been kidnapped or anything has she? *Tries to figure it out then shrugs and laughs* I can't wait for more Lilith!!!

10. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow, Lilith, what a story you're creating. So she remembers a very little bit, but not everything? I like how things are coming back to her bit by bit - including her hand language. Expertly written, Lilith, really. Great job.

I'm sorry to hear about your job - I've been there and know how hard it is. I know that with your talents you'll find something soon and land on your feet.

All the best,

Shaindl

11. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    SO sorry to hear about your job sweetie :( I know how it is to lose a job. [:D] I didn't read the replies until just now so I skipped over that by mistake. Good luck with everything hon.

12. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    "Think of your children."

Instead of abating, the agony on War's face redoubled. He rocked back, apparently torn, and against better reason my heart went out to the poor man. Whatever was happening he was obviously being forced to make a terrible decision, though what part I played in the whole thing remained an enigma...

That bit just tugged at me for some reason; it just felt very powerful to me. Sorry it's taken me so long to catch up Lilith, I've been so long struggling over my own story that I've all but forgotten to keep up with everyone else's. Very remiss of me, and many apologies. :( And I'm really sorry to hear about your job - here's hoping things work out for you, and quickly too. *hugs*

13. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Oy vey!! The plot definitely thickens...

14. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Good Heavens!

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, that right, I'd forgotten she does remember once being in a gang. Though I could not abide moving that much faster than my own two feet could carry me. that's not the Crash I remember.

"Think of your children." What????

This whole scenario has me really disliking Dai... not only has he apparently kidnapped and mind altered a woman, one who appears to have a mate and children, but he's playing house with her???? That is despicable and creepy and I'm alreadyy looking forward to seeing him get his comeupance.

Lil, I'm also sorry to her about your job. :(

16. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Layren -- Now, you don't really want me to just tell you, do you? ;)

Shaindl -- Thank you. [face_blush]

Jemmiah -- Thank you, and you are totally forgiven. I'm a terrible lurker myself.

Miska -- Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Kitara -- (see above)

Leona -- You're not the only one who feels that way. My beta Ping wants him to be 'squished horribly'.

The job search continues. Thank you all for your caring and support.

Held close and secure in my husband's arms, I lay awake long into the night. The opera had been stimulating, in fact I had enjoyed it immensely after a bit of time spent acclimating my ear to the truly astonishing range of tones the Trianii vocal cords could produce, though the memory of that meeting lurked in the background, tainting my pleasure. Dai had grimaced, and then sat stiffly, trying not to listen, but exerting nearly as much energy trying to look like he wasn't trying not to listen. My bright smile, a promise of his reward for this timely gift, had pulled an answering grin from him. Taking my hand in his, he had squeezed it and then relaxed for the rest of the evening. That, however, wasn't what kept me from sleep, now.

Horsemen.

Of all the gangs Dai could have gotten involved with, why the Horsemen? My own gang, the Angels, had been bad enough, but the Horsemen themselves, let alone the stories I'd heard of things they'd done, were frightening. It was an entire gang of thugs and uncaught jail-birds. Kidnapping, extortion, racketeering, blackmail, piracy, grand theft. You name it, they've been there, done that, and bragged about it afterward. Rumors told around the breakfast table in Heaven claimed that there were even several females in the Horsemen, but I doubted that there were women heartless and evil enough to join such a group as the gangbangers who'd gotten away with the Kensing Massacre. The cops never did prove a thing on that one, though everyone knew exactly who had done it.

The Horsemen, harbingers of doom and destruction, everything they touched withered into corruption. And now, somehow, my husband was in business with them. It was a business he controlled, that they resented, so maybe it wasn't all bad, but I still didn't feel good about it. There were too many opportunities for disaster when dealing with people like that.

Going back over the scene, I thought about Death's reactions, about War's abject terror for ... someone else. The man bulked large enough that physical threats certainly shouldn't faze him in the least, so it made little sense that the panic and rage in his countenance had been for himself. Death had been angry, but not boiling over like War, simmering, patient and steady. Death was a very dangerous man in charge of a mob of animals. War was obviously chief among those animals. And yet I kept coming back to that outward projection of concern from War. Men like that didn't care about anyone but themselves, who else could he be worried about?

Children. Death had reminded War of his children. The words were seared in my brain, refusing to change or blur no matter how I shied away from them. Despite fog and gathering darkness, right through my own fear, Dai's concern, and the Horsemen's desperation, they'd been laser etched into my mind with nothing to dull or blunt the impact. I had not misread or misheard. Think of your children. Those were the words, and yet they made no sense. What woman would love a feral beast like that? And where would he get children to be so absolutely torn over?

Torn between children and wife? It makes a kind of sense, but ... War of all people? And where is his wife that he is so panicked and angry and afraid? The next thought was the most perplexing of all, no matter how I looked at it. Why was War staring at me?

Restless, I shifted, snuggling closer to Dai's body, tucking my head under his chin and feeling the soft pressure of his breath

17. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    at least I still had my husband and his unswerving love to cling to.

Why do I think that isn't going to be true for much longer? :p

So she thinks she was a member of the Angels, does she? I have no idea what to think anymore, so I'll just keep my trap shut and enjoy the ride. :D

Great job, Lilith! Hope the job search is going well. :)

Shaindl

18. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Yeah I thought that was odd too, Shaindl. She was a Horseman and now she thinks she was an Angel instead? Hrm...... it's looking more and more like Dai is a person who is not what he appears to be... and I want to pound him into a bloody pulp :p I agree it looks like she's been kidnapped and mind warped...

Hope the job search is going good for you Lilith! Great post sweetie! I look forward to more!

Edit -- Ooooh what does she remember of the Jedi? Has she been told lies about them too???

19. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    AHHHHHH!

That was a bit cruel and unusual of Dai. He needs to be squashed like a bug then shot for good measure!

I'm glad to see that some of Crash's talents haven't left her, or are coming back.

Sorry to hear about your job Lilith. I hope something comes up for you soon. Meanwhile... More please! :D

20. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Why do I think the real husband is War and their kids (and his wife) are being held hostage to encourage the gang to do something.

Time to call in the Jedi!!!

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrrrr... the very first lines just grate on my sensibilities! I cannot even believe she could picture herself sitting around in 'Heaven'.

I am so confused. I can't think of why Dai would have her come out to see the Horsemen.. okay, I get it was more to be seen, but is he really so confident that seeing them won't stir something up for Crash... I refuse to use her other name... it's been too dirtied by her 'husband'.

And just what nasty little things does Dai want the Horsemen to do that he'd kidnap one of their wive's as security.

Worse is I'm constantly thinking about what this is going to do to Crash once she's herself again. Tricked and mentally manipulated or not she's going to feel awful for being with that scum.

22. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I read the entire thing over again Lilith and I'm more and more convinced of what's going on but you've spun a fabulous mystery here :) The last two posts in particular stood out for cluing me in on what's going on.

Dai apparently needs the Horesmen for something and due to their refusal he kidnapped and mind-warped Crash and her children to get them to change their minds. Crash in her innocence doesn't have much of a clue of what's going on and I agree with Leona that it's going to rile her when she figures out that she's been so horribly manipulated all this time..

I want to beat him until there's nothing left of him the slimeball. Very excellent job Lilith! you leave me hanging on eagerly for more!

23. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Shaindl -- Feel free to speculate wildly. It can be an awful lot of fun, just ask Jane. :)

Layren -- Bloody pulp? Would you settle for horribly squished? That's what one of my beta readers was suggesting.

Mouse -- Squished and then shot? Wow, the sentiment really seems to be spreading. Can't imagine why... ;)

Kitara -- I dunno, why do you think that? :D

Leona -- I'm sure angst and trauma of a gratuitous nature will result.... Muwhahahahahaa!!! Sorry, I'll try and refrain from the wicked cackling in the future....

Layren -- Beating, shooting, squashing... what a violent bunch of readers I have.... :) Isn't it wonderful?!

Sorry for the long delay, my best friend in the whole world got married this last week and the only way to describe the events leading up to it is 'craziness'.

"And blast me if he didn't go and do it," the senator finished loudly.

I smiled as politely as I could, simulating emotion despite the fact that I was quite wrung, barely feeling anything other than fatigue by this point. "Well, senator, my husband is a very persuasive man. And if the quality of our food is any indication, our cook is not unhappy about his choice."

A twitter of laughter rippled around the small circle and Senator Denali covered his embarrassment as only a career politician could and added a loud guffaw of his own. With an effort I joined them, one hand nervously fingering the exquisite tiered necklace of corusca gems that Dai had presented me with before the party had begun. The matching earrings weighted my earlobes, winking and sparkling even in the subdued lighting that bathed the garden's grounds. Both served to draw attention away from my close-fit sheath of dark blue crepe??to match my eyes' Dai had said?even if only momentarily. Female eyes lingered on the gems, while male gazes tended to settle a trifle lower. I felt enough of a curiosity as it was, everyone enquiring after my health, and despite their beauty I wished the jewelry simpler or plainer. I recognized the futility of that, though. If I had gone without adornment I still would have been the object of appraising stares simply because of who I was, Mrs. Eseladai Tolwyn.

Gesturing with my nearly empty wine glass by way of excuse, I drifted away from the group. I did not immediately move to another, there had already been far too many tonight, but let the light currents of socio-political maneuvering carry me along through my garden.

Everywhere it was the same. Witty repartee, savory canapes, sparkling wine glasses, and glittering partners of both sexes hanging on the arms of Coruscant's elite. They slid from group to group, face to face, false smile to faked emotion as dictated by their allegiances, their associates, and their ambitions.

And for me, at each circle were florid compliments and wide smiles that showed more teeth than warmth from people that I only knew from reputation, who had only just become aware that I even existed. At every stop there were stories, and I had none. There was discussion of current events and issues, but I did not know them. There were cronies, allies, and almost-friends, and I was alone.

Dai watched me like a hawkbat. Thackary and his men were unobtrusive, but I knew they were there. More than once my husband or my guardian had stepped in to pull me away when my control slipped and the panic showed in my eyes. Dai would stroke my arm and back, whisper gently in my ear until someone caught his eye and he was gone again. Thackary would hover, driving the guests away with his forbidding glower until I sent him away, though I couldn't be quite sure he wasn't just safeguarding the king's ransom hung about my neck. None of which changed anything, serving only to give me time to readjust my ?party face' and calm my anxieties once more.

Tired of the noise and chatter and bright lights, I moved with the currents of people sifting gently from power struggle to go

24. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    ENTER THE TRIPLETS!!! WOOHOO!!!

LOL sorry, I just loved them from the first story and was hoping they'd be making an entrance here...I'm hoping they stir up some memories for poor Crash :(

25. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    I love how everyone is gradually starting to show up. You're handling this all marvellously - never revealing too much too quickly. Great job!

Shaindl

EDIT: Hope the job search is going well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.